Sign in to follow this  
Linden Lab

What books or movies positively inspire you when you're in-world?

Now come on LL, you're beginning to sound like a poorly thought-out survey here. ;)

But since you're asking, I don't RP in SL so I don't think I've been influenced by either really.

I wasn't a gamer before joining and I'm not now.

SL has taught my a really shoddy understanding of 3D and a MUCH better understanding of photoshop, and for that alone I am grateful.

Da5id Zsigmond wrote:

I would think that everyone in-world needs to have read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson.

I've always thought it was the inspiration for SL itself.

Or maybe it was the stuff that other authors had been writing for the previous decade or so before Stephenson's derivative tome.

"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?"

I imagine there's a useful lesson there for some SL denizens, and the dangers of giving over oneself too much to the Dark Side of the Force...

More seriously, though, I've seen a lot of inspiration from Jules Verne and Lewis Carroll for builds, setings and avatars.  Of course, there's also John Norman's Gor series, which has made for some interesting times; but it seems most Gorean sims take a very... simplistic view of the setting.

Altogether, though, when I'm actually in SL, I find myself for more commonly reading "how-to" manuals than books and movies.

Isaac Asimov's books, the Robot series with Robots of Dawn being one of my favorites.

The Movie the Matrix.

Star Wars!

Edit: for Blasphemy, Lord of the Rings; yes, I read the prequel, the Hobbit, long before the movie.

The Buidlings in the Harry Potter movies are amazing, I would love to build a Region with builds as cool as those.

Dan Brown's book Angels & Demons inspires me to try to add estoric elements to my builds as in the great buildings in Europe.  The facility at Cern is very impressive as described in the book.

A short story by Lois Duncan titled Locked In Time.

Another Asimove is Fantastic Voyager, (later made into an 80's movie called Inner Space)

The Movie Back to the Future

Star Trek

Quantum Leap

I haven't seen the movie Avatar yet, I might

If I'm reading or watching a movie, I'm obviously not in SL.   SL is just an alternative form or entertainment for me.   But, with LL's recent attempts to steer the GD topics, I'm considering re-reading Orwell's "1984".

It was not elegant. In fact it was something of a mess. Two-thirds of a hill, in the fashion of the 91st Century post-Aryan landscapers, supported a snake tree done after the Saturnian manner but left uncoloured; part of an 11th century Gothic ruin stood beside a strip of river of the Bengali Empire period. You could see why she had decided not tofinish it, but it seemed to Jherek that it was a pity she had not bothered to disseminate it. Someone else would, of course, sooner or later.

An Alien Heat, Michael Moorcock. 1972

SL always makes me think of 'The Dancers at the End of Time' novels. A society of amoral, multi-sexual, jaded people with godlike powers; a tiny fraction of Earth's population living in a world of illusion and fancy. When I see an abandoned build, the paragraph above leaps instantly to mind.

Knowl Paine wrote:

Isaac Asimov's books, the Robot series with Robots of Dawn being one of my favorites.

The Movie the Matrix.

Star Wars!

Lord of the Rings; yes, I read the Hobbit, long before the movie.

The Buidlings in the Harry Potter movies are amazing, I would love tobuild a Region with builds as cool as those.

Dan Brown's book Angels & Demons inspires me to try to add estoric elements to my builds as in the great buildings in Europe.  The facility at Cern is very impressive as described in the book.

A short story by Lois Duncan titled Locked In Time.

Another Asimove is Fantastic Voyager, (later made into an 80's movie called Inner Space)

The Movie Back to the Future

Star Trek

Quantum Leap

I haven't seen the movie Avatar yet, I might

Heretic!  LoTR and The Hobbit are two different books and movies.

Lynda Baran wrote:

If I'm reading or watching a movie, I'm obviously not in SL.   SL is just an alternative form or entertainment for me.  

Well that. I either read a book OR am in SL. No mix here and no inspiration either. I am not sure if I understand these topics. They seem kinda random.

My time travel machine does not have a Flux Capacitor, or any components that even remotely resemble objects I've seen in Movies. "these are my ideas"

I don't see anything wrong with being aroused, animated, or imbued with the spirit to do something, by or as if by supernatural or divine influence: an inspired poet.

idk, It's either an original product or it's a copy. It seems clear to me. If 10 people look at an object and they all think it's a Star Wars item; it's a Copy!

That okay I just wouldnt want any member of lindens actually suggesting in anyway or form that sl users actually do something to contradict the ideas of copyright that lindens went out of the way to inform us on via their 'tutorial ;)

I think its called irony ....

Hypocritical or hypocrisy might be a fitting word. :smileyhappy:

I believe that creating greater awareness amongst Residents about the Rules and Responsibilities connected with content creation, is of benefit to SL.

I suspect that not every Resident in SL is completely honest in action and in principle. I hope that your comments in this thread will provide Clarification for  Residents who may be seeking justification for violating Policy.

I did "think" what you may have thought, but I don't believe this thread is suggesting or recommending for Residents to infringe upon copyrights as it is a Violation.

I'm done defending LL :smileyindifferent: , 

What a strangely (poorly) written question to just toss off by the Ls. 

I suspect the Ls were hoping for wild gushes about how we love to play at Twilight! OMG! It is amazing! Fangs are changing my life! Or maybe they were hoping for the My Little Pony crowd if the new treacley-sweet log in screens are any indication? Is that Cinderella stepping out of an egg with flaming tiki's behind her?

I can only speak for myself but will presume to speak for the group of people I know well in SL.

LL, when are you going to learn what you have? The people I know are much more likely to be building things out of their own experiences and creativity, they are more likely to be explorers, musicians and artists or those who appreciate musicians and artists. The people who role play do read to get background. 

Or are you looking to start a new "literature" and SL marketing fiasco? I think if you do that then you should promote the Gor books above all others, make sure you get all the details right, and then feature it on your PG sites and log in pages in all of the nadu female submission and scant clothing glory of Gor.