ACUG Meetings Question

Roseysun Galicia
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As recommended in Forum Feedback a repost of the question there:

Are you (Linden Lab) going to continue having the Adult Forum User Group meetings?  Or will you close that meeting group as well and shift everything to the Adult Forums?

The question is in reference to this post by LL:

12-06-2011 01:04 PM

Linden Lab wrote: 

The Community Tools User Group was created for input and feedback during the implementation of the Lithium community platform. Since this platform is now live, it makes sense to open the feedback up to the community as a whole. The best place for this is in the feedback forums where all residents have the opportunity to discuss and comment on topics. We will continue to collect this feedback from the forums and may conduct some beta user groups in the future.

And this follow up post:

Linden Lab wrote:

Thanks everyone for your responses.

We do plan to continue looking for constructive feedback here in the forums and taking steps to channel that feedback accordingly. We hope to create and maintain a positive experience for all forum participants.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I certainly hope Viale carries on with the in-world meetings;  his comments have always suggested to me that he
sees this forum as a complement to the meetings rather than a replacement
doesn't give two hoots about this forum or its residents; only his job.  

FIFY.  Just my opinion.  

I don't want to get into an argument about personalities, which would doubtless get pulled anyway, but I think ACUG meetings have been far more productive these last few months than ever they were before.    To my mind, we've certainly seen a lot more achieved since Viale took over than we did in the prevous two years.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I don't want to get into an argument about personalities, which would doubtless get pulled anyway, but I think ACUG meetings have been far more productive these last few months than ever they were before.    To my mind, we've certainly seen a lot more achieved since Viale took over than we did in the previous two years.

I would not know this as I was never invited into the adult forum until they made it PG and open.  I can say that I think Viale has undone everything that Lexie accomplished in having and participating in the CTUG meetings.  So yes it is a matter of opinion, and I did not mean to drag you into this, but I am a forum whore and it matters to me.    

I can't make any statements on Linden Lab's behalf of course, but I am under no impression it is their intention to disband the ACUG meetings.

The shift in focus that Viale has represented has brought a fresh air of accomplishment to this area with significanlty simplified age verification, information about how to age verify to all residents, profiling of adult content in Destination Guide, the Adult HUBs and opening of the Forums to the general population also for Adult content topics.  

Add to that the depart from every ACUG meeting being a slugfest of trying to micro manage the adult community in general, Zindra in particular, an endless stream of suggestions from one individual, and I will say Viale has made great progress!

Some may not like this new approach, but most of the issues, unless they are policy or marketing related, can and should be sorted out amongst the residents. Therefore there is not a need for a Linden led meeting with weekly frequency, and this forum is a good place for discussing a range of topics. 

He's for quite some time been encouraging the use of this forum to raise issues, or continue discussion of them, both because it allows for more asynchronous discussion, without the time pressure, and because  time zone problems and work commitments make in-world meetings difficult for some.

The last meeting is a case in point; obviously people weren't going to say everything they wanted to say in the one-hour timeslot, so continuing the discussion here, without the time constraint, was a good idea.   But he's always said in the past that he wants to keep the ACUG meetings, though to have them fortnightly rather than weekly, and I very much hope he keeps it that way.     

Yeah, I think the forums and the meeting work well together.  I have to echo Innula's statement that there's been a lot more progress benefiting the Adult content community since Viale took the lead.  

(I can't see behind the veil to claim that's causal; Viale may have directly caused all these things to happen, or most-senior Lab folks may have finally come to their senses and shifted positive attention on Adult content, a part of which was putting Viale out front.)

I'd be a little happier if the meetings were every week instead of every-other-week, but that doesn't seem so crucial that Lindens should arrange their work schedules around it.  Maybe that could become necessary, but only if there gets to be a lot more pressing discussion here on this forum.

I'm finding it hard to put my finger on just why the meetings still seem so necessary, given that the forum exists, but they very much do.  

I guess if in-world meetings didn't seem needed, Linden Research Inc should just drop this virtual world gig and pivot to making forums software.

1. less frequency

2. dried up agenda

3. less, if any, resident-derived agenda items replaced by mostly LL-derived items

4. Many people ignored, voices shut down, many stopped coming

5. Removal of resident-input agenda system and any normal, actual meeting procedure

There's at least 5 reasons right there that ACUG is watered down to nothing. I go to a lot of meetings, and facilitate a lot of meetings. ACUG is not really a 'meeting' anymore.

Archived