3 Minute Long Animations?!!

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Moon Metty has posted a jira asking LL to change the way it limits the amount of data for an animation. Currently, LL limits the amount of time that an animation can be (30 seconds) and the max fps (30).  With Moon's change, you will be limited to the total amount of frames (1000), and max fps. So, if you kept your fps low, say 5 fps, then it would be possible to create an animation that is 3 minutes long.

Personally, although I probably won't need many animations that are that long, I see how this could massively help other animators that create long sequences of animations, eliminating the need for animation changes and multiple animations for a sequence. Plus, possibly alot of laggy code to make those changes happen.

LL seems to be implementing this, but it probably would not hurt for more people to be watching this. I would not want LL to think that this is not important enough to implement or that not enough people are interested. I just don't think any people know about it. Pass on the word, and please vote or watch it.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2561

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

It's my understand from my work with online video that anything less than 12 FPS can be seen by the naked eye making it look jumpy.  Is the same true for Animations?

The system automatically interpolates between frames, so it will stay smooth even with few key frames. It can look kind of robotic with too few,

Don't quote me, but the human eye, generally, can only see at a rate of 24 frames per second. Of course, every1 is different and have better skills at things like this than others, but 24 fps is about average. Plus, unless the animation needs motion that is very jerky, you would rarely ever actually need 24 fps. I usually keep most motion capture that I make between 10 to 15 fps. Things like punches may need something closer to 20 fps, just because they happen so fast. A very fast stepping dance move could need 20 or more fps, depending on how fast the moves are. A slow dance could easily get away with 10 or less fps. Just my general opinions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.