Your World. Your Imagination. It's back!

Deltango Vale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm curious as to what the rewards are that were mentioned in this thread. I'm not going to try it out for myself but, if anyone would like to tell us what they are, I'd appreciate it.

About equiv to camping. You get a few lindens for an hour of play, give or take. Only problem for camping shops - its not as boring as sitting AFK on a poseball. :)

The noobs will come out of it with maybe 5 to 50 lindens I suppose, and start thinking of shopping or 'how can I get more?'

- which isn't really a bad thing.

I see the Linden Realms games as a plus.  The game is a lure, just as the pictures of couples dancing and hugging are lures. Other lures, are pictures of beautiful homes, shopping sprees, cars, airplanes, Sci-Fi and role-play worlds, etc.  The Lab wants to expand it's user base, so it's trying to appeal to a broader range of internet users. 

It's the opening move of a smart game-plan strategy.  First, you have to get people to join and experience SL, because without that, there is no "your world, your imagination".   Then once they are in, and having fun, noobs usually explore little, look around, and see that there is more.  More to do, more to learn, and more to acquire, which requires money.  

The Linden Realms game is showing what is possible in SL.  It's not showing the end-all, be-all.  I see this strategy as a larger move by The Lab to engage more people that are casual gamers, and that have never thought of joining SL, to experience casual past-time game play.  Personally, I've wondered why it took The Lab so long to figure out that SL is an entertainment venue, and it's one that has vast untapped areas for expansion.  

Kudos to The Lab for focusing on increased value to the SL customer, and making a real effort to increase SL sign-ups.

"I understand LL needs more customers. And I'm happy for every new resident joining in. My reasoning is not about people I personally approve or disapprove of (regarding that SL would be empty and I had the whole world to myself). It's about how LL are guiding them into SL with false promises.

'It's your world, your imagination. Now what you wanna do is become a premium, get one of the houses we made for you and play our newest game we made for you and use our newest viewer which we stripped of all the functionality but made it super easy to move your nicely premade noob avie with just a mouseclick. Oh, and also we cleverly hid the worldmap so you won't be bothered with too much info and can stay a happy ignorant bunny for years to come.'"

Except ... That quoted line of falsehood is just that: Falsehood. The present clients have not had functions stripped out of them, they are not dictating what people do or where they go and they have not changed their marketing strategy much.

If anything, they broadened it to suck in more people who wholeheartedly believe their gimmick: "Your World, Your Imagination" ... Just as you did when you joined.

That was always a gimmick ... as was everything they did.

Having read more of Orca's responses ....

Orca: If you are going to be so negative in general, you don't need to be here (or anywhere else for that matter). Your assertions concerning Linden Lab as well as your interpretations of other's comments are so far off the mark as to be on another world.

LR for example is a testing ground and an example of what can be done with SL (eventually). Quite franly, in my five years within Second Life ... the lack of innovation has made me bitter in a different way.

I am not a club goer, I rarely seek out a "play" partner ...

Should some of these LR functions make it into the clients and usable code, I myself MAY actually get back into building and be a bit more social. 

Your ideas, comments and posts here certainly have shown you to be jaded in more than just attitude ... A true poty. 

Orca Flotta wrote:

The Linden Realms game is absolutely contrary to the slogan of Your World Your Imagination. This is a prefabricated game by LL in a world where all content is supposed to be created by the customers. I guess you can't blame LL for this perversion of their old slogan but probably the customers for their lack of imagination.

Actually there's always been Linden Labs built content and sponsored activity. In Oak Grove there's an old-west town that Linden Labs began building and then invited teams of residents to build additional buildings on a "contract" basis. That was in 2003, or four years before you joined SL.

Bear in mind that all I'm doing is pointing out a 1) factual and 2) logical error in your original post.

Orca: If you are going to be so negative in general, you don't need to be here (or anywhere else for that matter). Your assertions concerning Linden Lab as well as your interpretations of other's comments are so far off the mark as to be on another world.

Of course I don't need to be here. In fact nobody does. But we want to be here ... well, at least I want to be here. If LL don't want me as a paying customer they should ban my (sexy) ass. But it's a business between me and LL and not of anyone's concern. And when my interpretations of other's comments are far off the mark what about their interpretations of my comments? Is it a new sport for the masses now, 'Misunderstand Orca'?

And negative in general, where did you get that from? Of course I lost some of my happy-go-lucky-whoohooo-don't-give-a-flying-funk attitude over the years. Not as far as becoming really bitter (well, with some people but not with the lab) and negative. But let's say I opened my eyes and became a bit more analytical and realistic.

LR for example is a testing ground and an example of what can be done with SL (eventually). Quite franly, in my five years within Second Life ... the lack of innovation has made me bitter in a different way.

Yes, that's how I understood it as well, a testing ground for new tools. Now they are using it as a gimmick to lure people into their world. I dunno why you think something is wrong with me because I find this strategy questionable at best. Is maybe cultural differences but I'm not used to being lured into anything with false pretentions and then only after joining finding out it's not what I wanted.

Should some of these LR functions make it into the clients and usable code, I myself MAY actually get back into building and be a bit more social.

See, that's great. LL makes the tools, you gotta use them. That's how it was always supposed to be.

Your ideas, comments and posts here certainly have shown you to be jaded in more than just attitude ... A true poty.

As I already stated, according to my dictionary jaded means tired, exhausted, fed up. A state of mind caused by external impact. I can't see that in connection with my attitude. Maybe cultural differences make us interpret stuff differently as well. And sorry, the term poty couldn't be found on my translation website.

One valid concern, I think, is that newcomers will be funnelled into Linden Realms and, once they've lost interest in the game, think they've lost interest in Second Life.  I'm not sure what safeguards are in place to make sure newbies don't have an "is that all there is?" reaction.

I'm also somewhat concerned about stability of Linden Realms, particularly for newcombers who won't recognize bugs and just get frustrated instead. I sent an alt into LR to test again earlier today (after reported completion of unscheduled maintenance), and HUDs only attached on about half of arrivals, and crashes came every few sim-crossings, so it seems fairly fragile.  That can't be good for promoting retention.

I wonder... where do newbies rez, if they crash (or quit?) out of Linden Realms?  I always got restarted at some random infohub, then used chat history to TP back to a Portal Park (or whatever it's called).  If that's how it works for newbies, too, then they'd at least know there's more to Second Life -- but that "more" would be the infohub nightmare, so that wouldn't be ideal.

Qie Niangao wrote:

[...] I sent an alt into LR to test again earlier today (
after
reported completion of unscheduled maintenance), and HUDs only attached on about half of arrivals, and crashes came every few sim-crossings, so it seems fairly fragile.  [...]

Lol, the whole SL experience! :D (jk)

The Linden Realms sims make you want to get into themed gear. Maybe some of us part-time Giant Snails ought to storm the place (or should that be slime the place ) :matte-motes-tongue:

I can see a great opportunity for LL to do some kind of cross-marketing already.  "If you like this, you'll LOVE this" kind of thing. LMs to Giant Snail Races, Grendel's, places with prizes, or just places where the visuals are particularly full-on fantasy, like LOL, photon pink etc.

Yes! Anyone can be a giant snail.  You can pick up a free giant snail avatar at Devon Dreams sim, where weekly there are Giant Snail Races, with prizes - trophies, linden dollars - and everyone is welcome, absolutely everyone.  They have cross country races across 40+ mainland sims at certain times of the year also, which is riotously funny (especially when a whole bunch of us waddle in together and crash the finishing line sim).

Does my bum look big in this?

big bum.jpg

snail mash at start line.jpg

People do customise their shells too, and there are different themes throughout the year, plus giant snail fashion shows.

Pardon me for being a bit of an ass here but ... two things:

1. Don't rely on a dictionary when one can infer meaning directly from context. The attitude you have shown is one which is just a step beyond "bitter", yet a step prior to "F*** this, I'm outta here ... oh, and I rigged the building with explosives."

2. You would do well to learn about this thing called a typo. Had you known of such things, you'd have arrived at "pity". 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.