Multi-dimensional array/list [LSL]

dakun Flux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Arrays are not planned for the near future.

The reason they have been omitted is because the original LSL concept at the time of creation was for a very abbrevated tool made for perormance with simple scripting tasks. As SL has grown it has out grown LSL. However, replacing it would break tons of existing content and that is absolutely not going to happen.

Mono is a step toward a better language. Lots of foundation stuff changed. If I understand correctly it is capable of arrays, but they are not implemented in this incarnation to remain backward compatible with LSL. 

If you want to know the original thinking for no arrays, read through the minutes of the Content and Scripting User Group. Its lots of reading but lots of history and the reasons why SL is like it is are spread through the meetings' transcripts. You could attent a meeting and if they finish the agenda and have time left you could ask a Linden.

Many things remain the way they are because it takes too much effort to change things without breaking existing content. But, they are slowly working their way toward better systems and better scripting languages.

I wonder if there would be a potential solution in a way that allows old content to use old code, and new content the choice of using new features. I understand mono seems to work like this but I mean a Fuller implementation, maybe structs or object orientated looping since in sl, there's a huge need for looping through content.

I don't mean to ramble, you're explaination is just what I was looking for, but from a lsl programer standpoint, these are what I'm often found wishing for

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.