Security Flaw In The Second Life Web Site

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Fair enough.....not exactly my way of thinking but I can see your point.  At least anyone who's read this thread is aware of needing to treat Market Place and their Dashboard as separate and even you don't need to log in to one if you've already logged into the other, you still need to specifically log out of both.

But back to my point.  Whether this is flaw or by design, everyone needs to take security seriously and don't rely on any software to do it for you.  Learn what Internet security involves and how to make the best use of it.  Windows, Firefox, Chrome, Linden Lab, Chase Manhattan or anyone else cannot do it for you........that's your job.  Do it and you'll be much less likely to be a victim.......let someone else do it for you and whine if something happens is your other choice.

Absolutely.  I know there is no 100% perfect solution (well, maybe stay off the web), But there are still just some plain good surfing habits to have to reduce your risks.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Making the accusation that it's a security flaw when, in fact, it is a designed option shows a very real lack of understanding Internet security.  That's my point.........people are their own worse enemies in so many cases.

Ok so a strong phrase was used: "Security Flaw" Your admonishment should not take away from the possible severity of issue stated.   It is my opinion, formed from my participation in the ANSWERS forum, there are many individuals who do not know what they are doing - even the simplest computer tasks; let alone security issues.  

Perrie's OP has some merit.  What is LL's response to issues like this?  Is it the Lithium software that has issues?  Should that be addressed?

I believe it was mentioned that different logins for the forums, dashboard marketplace etc were requested because of the fears of NOT having to sign in to each one separately, if that is true, then it would also be why you have to log out of each one separately, which nonetheless is a concern for those who are not aware of this and do not have basic internet safety skills.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I believe it was mentioned that different logins for the forums, dashboard marketplace etc were requested because of the fears of NOT having to sign in to each one separately, if that is true, then it would also be why you have to log out of each one separately,
which nonetheless is a concern for those who are not aware of this and do not have basic internet safety skills.

I think even people who do have basic internet safety skills can get burned by this.  I have better than basic skills and I have gotten burned by this.

One thing for sure, the next time someone posts about their BF or GF or friend or whomever getting into their account I am not going to doubt that it happened.  Rather, I am going to make sure they know about this hidden security risk.

Yes, I agree. When expected behavior is not actual behavior (of the system) even if you think you are doing the right thing and taking the right precautions (hey, I logged out right?) if you don't know that you have to log out of each and every instance of the various pages, then it would be easy to get burned. So you are correct, basic internet safety is not enough in this case if you are not aware of this hidden security risk.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.