attaching prims to different parts of the body

PraxisField

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

As others have suggested, choose "attach to" from the drop down menu.   Then you can select the attachment point.  You will almost certainly then have to use the edit tools to position the attachment correctly, but after you've done that, simply detach it again, give it 20 seconds or so for the server to update its data, and after that, the item will remember its correct attachment point and positioning.

• Like 3

PraxisField wrote:

I have started making accessories and items for my av to "wear".  They default to the right wrist - how do I make a prim attach to a specific part of the body - eg, the chest?   Thanks

Hi PraxisField!  You can attach to different attachment point on the avatar.  Attach to, then select from the list.  Hope this helps!

Peace!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2011 at 5:42 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

after that, the item will remember its correct attachment point and positioning.

I am bumping solely for this part of the comment. I'm pretty sure there is nowhere else on the internet that actually explicitly says this -- the item remembers its previous attachment point. I kinda figured it out but I didn't know if it would still apply for other avatars that attach the item/copies of the item in the future, and whether I should have something that specifies to the user that they should attach it to a specific point. I'm sure other people are wondering the same thing.

• Like 1

This is normal, expected behavior.  See, for example, the Knowledge Base at 

The easiest way to add an attachment to your avatar is to click the Inventory button on the left side of the Viewer window, find ithe attachment in My Inventory, right-click it, and select Wear. This causes the object to attach to your avatar at its last known attachment point and rotation; if you position a hat object on your avatar's head and then remove it, it will reattach itself in the same location next time you wear it. If the object has never been attached to an avatar, choosing Wear attaches it to your avatar's right hand, replacing any attachment that is currently worn on that attachment point.

In this context, the same rule applies to Add.  That is, you can always expect that an article will attach to the previous attachment point that it was used on, on your own avatar or any previous avatar.  If a creator leaves the attachment point undefined, the item will default to attaching on the right hand. Creators will also often specify an attachment point in an accompanying notecard, just in case the buyer decides to change the attachment point and wants to recall what the creator intended later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.