Sign in to follow this  
Ginette Pinazzo

PROPOSAL: More Inclusive Vortex: Idea 1: weekly classes

I agree that the DG is obviously selective, and that its getting far more attention than Search should be getting. Search is a wonderful tool, and gets better every day. Its the main way people find anything, of course.

Besides, as everyone must realize, DG is all over the place anyway..you cant miss it! Its hardly beneficial at all to have it rezzed as a slideshow anyplace. (not trashing that idea...just saying its a very 'small' idea...not exactly anything resembling inclusive...though I guess the DG is getting close to omnipresent..haha)

And yes, I hear the 'hints'...that doesnt mean its the correct course. This is supposed to be about residents coming forward....not abt micromanagement from above.

Now PLEASE stay on toipic for this thread.

Ginette Pinazzo wrote:

Hypothethtical question to you Gavin/Counter: if your new zindra arena were
not
in the DG, yet some 'competing' analagous place was (Zindra Colloseum?) , would you still believe that an Adult DG slideshow should be on LL land, wher the 'competition' were publicized, but you were not......officially, by LL?

I know you asked Gavin, not me, but, for what it's worth, while several of our comptitors' stores are in the DG, ours aren't, as yet, because if we do put one in, it would be the main store since it's the most photogenic and my business partner and I aren't sure if we want a lot of droppers-in there (though that may change), since it's a partly residential sim.

Despite that, it's never occured to me that our absence from the DG would be any sort of reason for objecting to LL's plan to place something based on the DG, where people might see our competitors' places but not ours, at the Vortex.   And, having now considered the matter since it's been raised, I still don't see how it could give me any sensible reason -- whether principled or pragmatic -- for objecting.

If we'd asked to be in the DG but had been refused, then I'd be taking the matter up with the people who compile the DG to see how we get into it, but even then it wouldn't affect my attitude to the proposal.

Community Manager, ...so you are going to proceed with what you wanted to do anyway, so what is the point of this forum and where is the point of new ideas from residents if they are summarily ignored? This thread is about a proposal for weekly classes at Vortex, not about other completely unrelated topics, and it keeps getting derailed by a 'destination guide slideshow' topic?

Ginette Pinazzo wrote:

1. Qie....what is wrong with 'business topics'?

I would make the argument that building leads to business (quite often) and thats the path that leads to retention.

Not sure why anyone would
not
want business topics, in
addition
to building topics. It's a natural evolution of the process.

2. Qie, can you pass along the ifnromation about these Show and Tell events? (you can do it inworld to avoid being accused of passing links in the forum, if you want..haha)

I am curious how they are setup and if they are close to an appropriate event for Vortex.

3.And no Qie, I never mentioned suggesting one recurring (weekly?) Event for the Destination Guide...though if this takes off, that would certainly be a sposisbility (to be listed ion DG), just not a focus. Honestly, I never rely on LL for marketing!

Business topics... well, it's a personal preference only, and I only meant that I wouldn't support it myself, not that I'd try to prevent it.  I don't have much enthusiasm for SL business anymore, and fear that unrealistic expectations about SL business prospects have hurt retention -- although that's just a guess, given that there's practically no useful, objective data available outside the Lab from which to hazard a guess about what helps or hurts retention.

Trying to find a link to the Show and Tell in Avaria, I discovered to my surprise and disappointment that the organizers have simply decided they want their Sundays back, and the show and tell of two weeks ago was the last one, after more than five years.  (I haven't been able to attend in about six months, so I had no idea this was coming.)

I would just reiterate that a regularly scheduled in-world event, if it gets popular, will need some security.  I share Innula's concern about residents having that ability on a Linden-owned sim, which is why I keep fussing about "policies and procedures."  I realize that the Vortex staff has been successful without that ability, but the threat is just different when an event gets popular and happens on a predictable schedule.

Indeed, without the ability to return rezzed items when necessary, I'm not sure it would be possible to have such an event... but perhaps Vortex staff already have that ability, I don't know.  (I mention it because it's something a scripted system can't really do -- although we've requested it for a long time.)

Sure it can be a problem, Qie....security....but I think its good to try to move forward with positive plans and try your best (rather than shoot it down before it begins....not that you are shooting anything down....but you know what I mean)

We do have a record of success with this, and with the right approach, I think its definitely 'scalable'.

I think the benefits would FAR outweigh any possible problems.

To endorse Ginette's proposal, I had the honor of being the first to speak there where I covered the topic of Hiring in the Virtual World.  It was well attended and had a very lively discussion at the end. (It turned into a Legal Discussion where I cannot actually give legal advice without jeopardizing my own bar membership though I can give "generalized law" practices and regulations). 

In the end, I have had many comments back from business owners thanking me as it helped them.

Since I first joined SL many years ago, one thing that has become very prevalent with this community is that others really do want to help each other.  I personally believe that it that sense of community that makes SL such a great place and Ginette is an advocate of that community especially for the adult grid.

• Like 1