Sign in to follow this  
Ginette Pinazzo

PROPOSAL: More Inclusive Vortex: Idea 1: weekly classes

A MORE INCLUSIVE ZINDRA HELP VORTEX: IDEA 1: WEEKLY CLASSES
proposal by Ginette Pinazzo, Hypatia Meili, Voodoo Radek  -  12-07-12

PREMISE
A more formal expansion on our pre-existing Speaker Series, we would choose a good regular day and time (FRI nights at 10PM? etc) and each week would feature a new class/workshop or presentation by anyone who wishes to participate.

WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
Any business, group or individual with a good topic idea that will draw attendees can get on the schedule.

TOPICS
Emphasis will be placed on business topics and building topics, though other educational topics may make sense too. Diversity of topics, draw of topics and useful impact of topics will all be considered.

TIMING
To get good PR benefit for the speaker/teachers, events should be scheduled minimum 2 weeks in advance. The more build-up time, the more PR benefit. PR is really the primary benefit for the speakers/teachers, so we would want to maximize that window.
Multiple timeslots will be encouraged (a morning and night version, for example) to increase accessibility.

WHY THIS IS GOOD
1. Educational activities are a big draw
2. These events will provide businesses, groups and individuals with an exciting opportunity to get involved in Vortex, make an impact on the community, and network.
3. Business-friendly attractions for content creators help create an increased business-friendly climate and encourage residents to take a more active part in SL, starting or improving their businesses, investing more heavily in SL
4. Fits Vortex mission of a more complete Help experience.
5. Fits LL mission of retention

• Like 1

PREMISE

A more formal expansion on our pre-existing Speaker Series, we would choose a good regular day and time (FRI nights at 10PM? etc) and each week would feature a new class/workshop or presentation by anyone who wishes to participate.

I thought you've said a few times that you were already running classes yet according to this,  those "classes" are actually a guest speaker series? 

This would be a regular schedule (same day and time every week, such as Sexy Speedbuild is) and therefore become more formalized, perhaps with a name (Friday Night Lectures? etc..who knows) This is just one example of how more and more people can get involved from the adult community, to illustrate the Vortex being 'open' to all. If you have any good topics, and dont mind being the center fo attention for an hour, consider doing a session!

I am glad you used the expression "to illustrate the Vortex being 'open' to all", because in reality this is only more of the same, giving an appearance of being more open. You don't need to illustrate anything, you need to demonstrate being more open.

One way of doing that is to invite anyone to use the resource, and you will act as the facilitator for this to happen. Any entity interested should be able to allocate a timeslot for an (announced) activity they run in that location as long as it is compatible with the mission of the Vortex. Only then will you be able to broaden the diversity while at the same time be able to fill an interesting calendar with activities that appeal to a wide audience, and not only as seen through the lens of the Vortex staff.

I guess the question is how are these weekly classes to be publicised and to whom.   

To my mind, the important thing is that people who don't, for whatever reason, currently use the Vortex -- perhaps they've never heard of it or, if they have, they think it's a resource primarily aimed at Zindra -- get to know about whatever it is you decide to do, and are also assured that they'll be welcome if they choose to attend.

To my mind, the most important thing to review isn't so much what you're doing but how you're publicising and marketting it.  That's the area that needs attention.

Not sure what you are complaining about. This proposal adresses those issues. It is an open invitation.

Its always been open, actually.

Facilitators? Yes, thats basically what Vortex sfatt does, in this case.

Thats why build-up time matters, even for something like a class or workshop (and a regular recurring timeslot helps too!)

Last-minute bookings are usually a pretty bad idea.

With good build-up time (the more the better) we can utilize inworld and offword resources. Contacting various groups, (especially those who are related to whatever the topic is), using blogs, websites and forums to get the word oui, word-of-mouth (especially useful with the build-up time) and using the press (press releases, interviews, etc), There are limitless possibilities when you allow the time.

A regular weekly schedule (same day and time) and steady marketing can create momentum that perpetutates. Of course, with anything, the beginning is always touch-and-go, but reliable marketing can make it grow. Think of it as a mid-term plan (with long-term results).

Inclusiveness:  inspired adult content providers would have a means to be accessible on the Vortex region.  One idea, people submit their events and destinations to the destination guide editor.  These are accesible via an adult destination guide inworld slideshow.

Sounds like a separate thread there!...comments on the thread topic (weekly classes proposal)?

Thought: - maybe if inspired adult content providers did something at Vortex (such as a class or involved in some other educational Vortex project) a slideshow based on those incidents would make sense, so it would be ontopic and not be advertising

BUT..returning to actual thread topic:

This weekly classes proposal is inclusive because anyone is allowed to participate...same opportunity for anyone.  It doesn't guide in any specific direction (aside from educational direction, of course) plus changes every week so there is variety and execllent chance for more resident involvement.

How would this proposal (weekly classes open to anyone to run and attend) be more inclusive? Open to suggestions!

How would it be omnipresent? Thougths? (not sure how anything could be omnipresent. The only defintion I know of that word  makes the conceot seem pretty challenging. These classes would need to EVERYWHERE.

Anyone have ideas to imrpove this proposal?

I think you need to snap out of this obsession with not advertising?

When the resource owner gives you guidance to how the Destination Guide can be used at Vortex, they are open for placement there of the advertising that the DG indeed offers. 

Again, there is no need to be more catholic than the pope. 

Linden Lab wrote:

Inclusiveness:  inspired adult content providers would have a means to be accessible on the Vortex region.  One idea, people submit their events and destinations to the destination guide editor.  These are accesible via an adult destination guide inworld slideshow.

It would be a huge win if you have any way of encouraging the Destination Guide folks to expose an API for DG, usable in-world by Resident scripts (or, worst case, by an external service... as much as LSL sucks at string processing, it doesn't require pushing traffic all over the d*mned internet, just to parse up some text and show it on a display).  

The zero-th order approximation of this could be a MoaP-navigable version of the DG itself, the current format of which is way too expansive to be usable in MoaP (or mobile, for that matter).  But if they could instead just expose a way to query against the DG and get clean, stable results, scripters can make that "MoaP-navigable" interface ourselves.  It's really a question of which level the DG devs are most comfortable freezing a stable, semi-supported API.

Relating this back to the proposal in the thread topic... I think Ginette is suggesting one recurring (weekly?) Event for the Destination Guide, to be held on the Vortex.  It could indeed be promoted on DG slideshows at the Vortex -- and anywhere else that slideshow is made available.  

This thread is mostly about how to tailor that Event for the maximum appeal and relevance to the Vortex mission.  To that end, personally, I'd focus on topics having to do with building, scripting, etc.... technical, as opposed to "business" topics. That's kind of a personal preference, but I'd not support any such content at Vortex (nor anywhere else, for that matter).

One thing I'd always thought would help would be an Adult "show and tell" of new content, following strict rules similar to those used in Barney and Flo's Sunday shows in Avaria.  

The thing is, for any popular recurring event to work, it's absolutely necessary that somebody present have the ability to ban griefers, as a last resort.  It's simply not possible to run such an event on an ongoing basis without somebody having the power to act during the event.  So if that power isn't going to be available, there's just no point in promoting any regular events.

The security issues can very easily be sorted out with a proper security system, and the only thing LL needs to do is to deed one ejector to the land which will interface with the rest of the system. Thereby anyone who is set as admins on the security system can both eject and ban grifers from the sim without having to have any estate privileges (actually no land privs hardly at all.)

To have a weekly event is absolutely cool, but it is still very limited use of the land, so multiple entiries should be able to use it, where the Vortex group facilitates the use. 

I didn't quite understand "omnipresent" in this context, either -- as far as I know, God is supposed to be omnipresent, but that's about it. 

However, I do think that LL's proposal to have slideshows featuring Adult destinations from the Destination Guide and to place one at  the Vortex  will go some way to correcting the impression that the Vortex is primarily a resource for Zindra as opposed to a resource for the whole of Adult SL, since the DG does not exclude destinations because they happen tobe on Estate rather than Mainland sims, unlike the Exploring Zindra slideshow that's presently there (or was until recently -- it may have been removed in the last couple of weeks -- I've not looked),  

I fully understand that, as a LL-owned sandbox, the Vortex is subject to LL's rules about "no advertising," but since LL have now made it clear that, as far as they're concerned, the DG isn't advertising and that, on the contrary, they actually want to place a DG-based slideshow there, I think any remaining concerns on that score should now be allayed.

Agreed that a scripted security system is the proper solution to this problem -- way less hassle than futzing around with group roles and abilities -- but whatever mechanism is adopted requires that there be some policy and process in place for establishing due cause for ejecting and banning a resident on Linden-owned group land.  That, too, is an issue of "inclusion."  

As I suggested in another thread, this Forum may be a good place to have an open, inclusive discussion about what that policy and process should be.  (Not this thread, clearly, to which this is a tangent, at best.)

If someone wants to start a thread, I'll gladly contribute to it, but, since I'm afraid I think giving folks powers to ban people from LL-owned sandboxes opens the door to all sorts of drama  (not necessarily involving the Vortex at all), I don't really want to start it off by saying "this idea has been floated but I don't think it's a good one, not least because it sets a bad precedent that all sorts of self-appointed vigilante groups would almost certainly pester LL to be allowed to exploit in other sandboxes."

I also have reservations about the wisdom of running classes in a sandbox, certainly, but presumably, based on their experience, the people suggesting the idea have thought it through and considered the risks.    Better, to my mind, to let it run for a bit and, if, in the event, their assessment proves to have been over-optimistic, then deal with the problem when it's clear there is one.   

I think you need to snap out of this obsession with advertising!

I find it amusing I post a thread about a definitely more inclusive concept (weekly classes), yet some people just cant drop the idea of rotating ads as being the best solution. Rotating ads from an  LL 'best of' sldieshow are not 'inclusive', nowhere close. Couple inclusiveness with engagement (active instead of passive) and you have solution that actually fits the mission of Vortex and the supposed attraction and retention mission of LL.

There are strong diferences between advertising, marketing and publicity. Not the same things.

I am not against advertising at all. Vortex is just not the place for it. People should recognize that we are consistent with this and appreciate that. I can tell you a lot of Vortex visitors appreciate it. They like the fact we have a Help area free of the usual adboards. And yes, as much as I love DG, it is a rotating ad system. My own sim is in it....but I wouldnt want my own sim to get preferential expsoure over others at LL land. That would be innapropriate.

Hypothethtical question to you Gavin/Counter: if your new zindra arena were not in the DG, yet some 'competing' analagous place was (Zindra Colloseum?) , would you still believe that an Adult DG slideshow should be on LL land, wher the 'competition' were publicized, but you were not......officially, by LL?

1. Qie....what is wrong with 'business topics'?

I would make the argument that building leads to business (quite often) and thats the path that leads to retention.

Not sure why anyone would not want business topics, in addition to building topics. It's a natural evolution of the process.

2. Qie, can you pass along the ifnromation about these Show and Tell events? (you can do it inworld to avoid being accused of passing links in the forum, if you want..haha)

I am curious how they are setup and if they are close to an appropriate event for Vortex.

3.And no Qie, I never mentioned suggesting one recurring (weekly?) Event for the Destination Guide...though if this takes off, that would certainly be a sposisbility (to be listed ion DG), just not a focus. Honestly, I never rely on LL for marketing!

To date, events we have run at Vortex have generally been very mature, with griefing etc being the exception rather than rule. One original premise behind Vortex was that, because it was on Adult land, griefing would be far less likely. I feel that this has definitely been true to date.

We also have staff that tend to handle situations very maturely, and often 'griefers' are 'turned around' and turned into allies with the right social skills. It's never perfect, but Ive seen good success stories. We try emphasize an invitational quality to our approach (behave like an adult and join us!) rather than any type of confrontational approach.

My overall point here is that, while there may be some incidents, the benefits of running the events far outweighs that ocassional problem. Good ideas often drown out the bad ones.

Ginette Pinazzo wrote:

Honestly, I never rely on LL for marketing!

You gotta be kidding!

Who paid for your zexpo sims, and who pays for the Vortex sim?

Ginette Pinazzo wrote:

if your new zindra arena were
not
in the DG, yet some 'competing' analagous place was (Zindra Colloseum?) , would you still believe that an Adult DG slideshow should be on LL land, wher the 'competition' were publicized, but you were not......officially, by LL?

The short answer is yes. 

Having said that, I believe DG is getting a bit too much attention compared to search simply because it is highly selective and has limited bandwidth. I think giving the profiles a major overhaul in combination with much better search capabilities for the profiles and who is in-world will get everyone much futher – faster.  

Slideshows in particular is an inefficient vehicle. We have all been to locations where rezzing in even 10 products in a vendor takes forever and you simply leave after having waited for slide #3 for minutes. Besides the latest LL viewer has the DG floater. 

The main issue here is that you don't take the slightest hint from those who pick up the tab. 

@Innula - By omnipresent,  we would endorse ideas that are sustainable and always present - ie destination guide slideshow.  Here are some other ideas that could be inclusive and omnipresent:

1) Flickr feed with a means for content providers to submit images.

2) Event feed.  With a means for content providers to submit event.

Let us know about other ideas.  We are going to proceed with the Destination Guide piece as soon as possible as it promotes Adult content and the process is open to all adult content providers.

Ginette Pinazzo wrote:

thats not a marketing issue

It is the BASIS for you to even have anything to market!  Most of your SL activities center around land that LL owns and pays for you.