Sig Lines, Are they the windows to the soul?

Ellyn Elan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

:matte-motes-smile:

To answer my own subject line question, I would say, "Um, no. What a crazy notion!" I do think they are telling of bits and pieces though. 

I read sig lines. Sometimes I will visit a vendor based upon their overall posts and the inclusion of their business ID in their sig sometimes the reverse is true. Some lines make me smile, some are boring, some require the cipher code book and some I argue with. There is one sig line (tease tease) that makes me want to fire off a response every time I read it. They are like mini-profiles, which I read when I'm inworld.

I just changed my sig line. The new one is a fabulously long sentence, that believe it or not I had to edit down in order for it to fit, from a book I've been reading, Tristam Shandy. (And I just noticed I made a typo in the sig line. Hurry up and edit!) I love the rambling but controlled style and the sentiment is one that I identify with. My old sig line had nothing to do with me or any other specific point, I just loved the sound of it. I wish we all came with equipped with our own script writers who can come up with spontaneous remarks for us like the one Don Draper made in Mad Men, "It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." 

How about you? Read them? Ignore them? Favorites? Ones that make you want to argue? How did you choose yours? Does it tell anything about you?

Ellyn Elan wrote:

How about you? Read them? Ignore them? Favorites? Ones that make you want to argue? How did you choose yours? Does it tell anything about you?

I read signatures and I especially like the witty ones.

I don't come across too many originals that would allow me to get a true glimpse inside, but I think sigs are a tiny snapshot of a personality.   

I block signatures so I don't see them. If it's a merchant that has an advertising banner, I block it with an ad blocking extension in my browser. Same thing for an animated gif in someone's badge, I see it only once and then I block it. 

That being said, there is one signature that I recall from the old forums that I really liked. It was from Become the Sky by Rumi:

Take an axe to the prison wall.
Escape.
Walk out like someone suddenly born into color.

Who was the person that had that signature?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.