Sign in to follow this  
Melissahoward

When I use the /me command it comes out as Melissahoward[your character name]:, Even to others?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

That's because your name is Melissahoward Resident, not Melissa Howard.  When you use /me, it substitutes your entire name for /me.  That's the way it's supposed to work.  If you want to make a shortcut that does what you want, create a gesture. >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Gestures-emotes-and-animation/ta-p/700069 . You can choose a triggering shortcut like /M and use that to type Melissa Howard in chat.  Then you just add your message before hitting Enter.

8 answers to this question

That's because your name is Melissahoward Resident, not Melissa Howard.  When you use /me, it substitutes your entire name for /me.  That's the way it's supposed to work.  If you want to make a shortcut that does what you want, create a gesture. >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Gestures-emotes-and-animation/ta-p/700069 . You can choose a triggering shortcut like /M and use that to type Melissa Howard in chat.  Then you just add your message before hitting Enter.

You have option under General tab in Phoenix "Show Names" and 2 drop down menus there. You can pick "Display Names" only in second menu, and then call yourself whatever you want, so when you type /me something, you should get the result you want. Hope this helps. Enjoy! :)

Not sure about the SLV3 since I won't use it, but In many other viewers, what other's see depends on how they set their own preferences.  You have a choice to see the user name only, the display name only or just the display name.  I want to see both.  I don't care for display names as they change and I think and remember people by their user name, which never changes.  However out of consideration for the other person, I try to address people by the name they are currently displaying.  Most others have theirs set up how they want to see names and that's what they see regardless of what you do.

Other than setting up your own personal preferences to display what you want it see, you can't control or worry about what other people are seeing.  The solution to your problem is to set you own viewer so you only see display names.

You have a gesture activated which is doing that. It's nothing to do with your viewer.  

It's part of the SGS Game System. Look for a gesture called "SGS Character name"

• Like 1

Caspar: You NAILED IT! I have been having trouble with this for over a year and have been too lazy to look for the solution until it became untenable! I killed all SGS gestures LOL /me Thanks You LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.