Until further notice...

Venus Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jolene Benoir wrote:

Nup, I'm not lost.

LL/SL still means a great deal to me, so I feel I have every right to post here as anywhere else.

Btw?  Whose alt are you?  Cuz you sure aren't a noobie here.

hehe

You don't recognize me? I was one of the nine people at the gV birthday party wake the other weekend.

Fidor

There is really no way to know what the different motivations people have for posting are unless they express them though in many instances it is possible to make educated guesses.  But then you are still only guessing.

I know what I desire in this Forum.  A place to freely discuss all things Second Life.  But because it is a business, Linden Lab in sponsoring this Forum can not allow it to be a 'free for all.'  So if we do not exercise self discipline, then they have no choice but to exercise discipline, what we know as 'moderation.'

While there are a few who may have their own agenda, their own bone that they want to pick, or who simply get their jollies by being contrary or cantankerous, I do think the majority of those who have participated in the CTUG and who contribute to Forum Feedback have the benefit of all SL Residents in mind.

We were not working to impose our ideas on LL but rather were trying to work with LL to make the Forums a better place for people to come to discuss and learn about all things SL.  And to its detriment, someone or someones at LL has insulted us. 

Some of us chose not to take this laying down and used the only means we could find open to us to seek redress.

Linden Lab has a choice.  They can either choose to train and employ people to answer the many questions that come up here or they can acknowledge how much of Second Life is based upon the concept of a Gift Economy and the contributions of those of us who are seasoned Residents and treat us with respect.

Linden Lab needs to look at how patiently we answer the same questions over and over and over again for new Residents.  Linden Lab needs to look at how much we contribute to its economic success by our participation in this Forum.

In exchange for this, in exchange for the contributions I make, at least for me, all I am asking for is to have also a place where I can discuss ALL things SL in a civil and considerate manner and to be treated by its employees with respect.  I think that is what the majority of us here want also.  I think that is a pretty fair deal for all parties involved.

Perrie

p.s. my apologies in advance for any poor grammar or run on sentences.

Here's a suggestion. Why don't we arrange CTUG Meetings without the Lindens. We could make a log of the chat and send it to Lexie to post to the CTUG wiki page and we could keep a progress record of how well LL was doing against the issues and objectives that the CTUG identiy and prioritise. It would probably be a lot more organised, efficient and productive without the Lindens being there as well.

Most IT User Groups I know of are violently vehemently independent of the supplier, and only compromise their independence for gifts of biscuits for meetings, cases of expensive wine for each member of the Committee, and grab bags of freebie gifts like Rolexes and keys to Ferraris for those membes who spike initiatives the supplier doesn't like or suppresses bad PR stories before they break.

Why wouldn't that work here?

We could even rotate three timezone meetings on a weekly basis to facilitate attendance by those who currently feel their opinions are disenfranchised.

If necessary we could take the Meetings on a tour of the Welcome Areas so that the opinions of the Not So Silent Majority could also be canvassed, although I am not sure how we could ensure that  the Banana Song and muliple spamming gestures could be accurately represented in the meeting chat log.

If nobody is going to say where the my.secondlife.com user input is supposed to be offered up, then maybe we could do the same sort of thing for that as well - although it is fairly obvious that there is a lot more design and testing work to be done on the feeds, particularly in terms of security. Maybe we could write our own Feed Interaction Guidelines as well, and then the Lindens could not claim that we didn't give a FIG about them.

Jus' saying.

Oh, and I nominate Void Singer as Chair of the Group.

Fidor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.