Deploys for the week of 2011-12-05

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome to December! We're only weeks away from Christmas and the Holidays. I know things were a little rough last week. Hopefully things will smooth out this week.

Second Life Server (main channel)
This project is being promoted from the Magnum channel. It updates the mutelist to be part of the People API instead of simulator side. We changed simulator behavior to send create/delete events in the mute-list to the People API. Social features on my.secondlife.com including web profiles will fully respect the mutelist i.e. no one should see messages etc from someone they have blocked. 
This feature is disabled on the web side until full release to all channels.

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This project contains voice diagnostics updated to improve our ability to diagnose voice issues.

Second Life RC LeTigre
This is the same "maint-server" project that was here last week. There are a lot of bug fixes in here. This code will also be on the Magnum channel. There are a LOT of bug fixes in here and a few new features. The release notes contain more details. There is a fix for 

• SVC-7499 Poseball rezzing items are either not giving poseballs or rezzing balls in wrong positions

Also included is a new feature called "llTransferLindenDollars" with transction_result that is outlined here:

- http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Upcoming-LSL-feature-llTransferLindenDollars-and-transction/td-p/1239275

Also new is: SCR-31  llGetParcelMusicURL()

Second Life RC Magnum
This is the same "maint-server" project that is on LeTigre.

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar Linden wrote:

Welcome to December! We're only weeks away from Christmas and the Holidays. I know things were a little rough last week. Hopefully things will smooth out this week.

Second Life Server (main channel)
This project is being promoted from the Magnum channel. It updates the mutelist to be part of the People API instead of simulator side. We c
hanged simulator behavior to send create/delete events in the mute-list to the People API. Social features on my.secondlife.com including web profiles will fully respect the mutelist i.e. no one should see messages etc from someone they have blocked. 
This feature is disabled on the web side until full release to all channels.

---

Oh, this is really good news. It is one of the most annoying things at the moment, so am happy to see it getting fixed!

The OzMan cometh, bearing gifts,
To seal the holes in the digital rifts,
What one wonders, please explain,
Why, in Second Life, there is no rain!

A simple solution, OzMan explains,
"In order to produce, your said rain",
"Simply write to Santa, for he knows all,
To see if the Lindens are on the ball".

So, with parchment in hand and pen at the ready,
My JIRA is sent, and my attention is steady.
I know from the team, they are doing their best,
For the Linden development, there is no rest.

The OzMan and crew will be hearty next year,
For all the resolutions will be full of cheer.
We will enjoy our existence with a smile and hope,
Raise a glass and cheer, for no downward slope.

So, all you people who just want to moan,
Try building this yourself, in the back of your home,
Take a smatter of icing and a little cake,
Perform a boot after boot and hope you rebake.

It's not easy to make worlds, a difficult task,
As the dev team hides behind a smiling mask,
All their work, their grind, day after days,
Just imagine how God did it in only 6 days!

Cheers to Oz and the team :)

Still is not a notice in grid status and apparently you have begun.  It is bad enough that you discontinued the restart warnings as a separate notice and offer them only in chat, but to leave us to depend on your advanced schedule of restarts when most of the time you alter it at the last moment is asking a bit much.  LL and the restart team need to be more considerate of the player, for instance a warning in chat is not much good to builders or those in IMs, but they generally will see an official warning, likewise not listing a notice in the grid status is not only confusing but not very likely to win the trust of the players who you catch by surprise in the middle of a project they began because they depended on information you neglected to supply.  It may be LL does not care about any of this and consider the players to be more trouble than they are worth, but let me remind you that without these players SL will be nothing more than a poor copy of facebook and with very little future. 

@Maestro and Alexi

The point of Alexi's irritation, Maestro, is that the Grid Status Page has no notice about the restarts of the RC channels.  I know the Google calendar states when these are scheduled (as does Oskar's lead post) but someone in charge of the Grid Status page is asleep at the wheel....again.

I know it is most likely not yours or Oskar's job to kick the arse of whoever SHOULD do it, but it's not hard to see why folks get upset.

@Alexi

There is just no point in continually sniping at Oskar in this way.  It just isn't his job, and given the way Linden Lab is structured, it probably isn't even POSSIBLE for him to kick the GSP people.  There are a million reasons why we get annoyed at LL's seeming disregard for us residents, but kicking Oskar, who is one of the Lindens that really does engage with us (and Maestro too, I know...:smileyhappy:) isn't going to help anyone.

The people we need to kick are far removed from those of us at the interface (and don't we know it!).

This is a bad omission, since the restarts are happening (my sim is being rolled as I type this) and there is absolutely NADA on the main script of the GSP.

EDIT: So I now see the RC channel rolls are "Resolved"...Bolting the stable door after the horse is gone?

Oh, and SVC-7499 on LeTigre is NOT fixed!:smileymad:

8/12/11: After a few hours' work I can say this.  SVC-7499 and SVC-7522 may be fixed as far as the ongoing bug is concerned, but any poseball rezzing items that were broken by the bug have remained broken due to a script failure (sample of 3 different items).  This is not the first time that a poor piece of QA has resulted in material loss to residents.  This is not inventory loss this is asset breakage - a whole different matter.  Someone at LL legal group may need extra coffee.  If the item's creator has left SL you are stuffed not to put too fine a point on it.

Further edit 8/12/11:  Seems SVC-7499 and 7522 are fixed after all.  A lot more work by myself and my partner appear to have cleared some of the mess that LL made, for two of the three items anyway, the third is still broken, and I await a reply from the creator.  We have spent nearly all day mending what that server code broke.  Not at all happy.

One final issue; this blog is still borked, it took me three attempts to get logged in and post this edit.  Does ANYTHING in SL work properly at the moment??  Oh Yes, tier payments to Linden Lab...of course!

Would it be possible to make the countdown longer, like 30 minutes?

This is what the current countdown looks like:

Second Life: Your region will restart in 5 minutes and 0 seconds for maintenance.

Second Life: Your region will restart in 3 minutes and 0 seconds for maintenance.

Second Life: Your region will restart in 1 minutes and 0 seconds for maintenance.

Second Life: Your region will restart in 0 minutes and 30 seconds for maintenance.

Considering the unpredictable and disruptive nature of maintenance restarts, it would be helpful for the countdown to send a notice once a minute until the final 30-second notice (no matter how long the countdown is).

The problem with the maintenence restart messages not popping up a dialog anymore would also be mitigated somewhat if the messages had a longer countdown.

The larger issue is that the current queuing system for maintenance restarts doesn't allow for sufficiently advanced notice to landowners and estate owners, something which should be a priority for a stable platform.

Not  sure what you done this week Oscar,  but am having major problem with xcite items in 2 blue steel regions failing to rez correctly even after clearing cache, relogging, resetting item etc......  in second region in edit of item it telling me it 0 prim  and 1842 remaining  something or other !!!!

Regions Iaconelli......failing to rez and  if arrived rezzed and doesn't disappear,  colour completely wrong

Kuyto some rez failures.  one  which  does rez gives the edit errors

Hi there, whatever happened to the llTransferLindenDollars thread? You mention it in your first post and I think it was sticky before, but now it seems to be MIA.

Is it still happening? Any news on what's going on with the LeTigre RC that includes the llTransferLindenDollars update?

I don't have a good understanding of how timing works from RC to gridwide deployment... and it sounds like there were some unrelated issues holding this wave up? Any clarification appreciated. Thanks!

Hey, from what I understand, both the llTransferLindenDollars and the transaction_result could be released during this week's deploy to the whole grid. It also is pretty much backed by this article.

Also from the article of llTransferLindenDollars announcement:

The RC channel LeTigre is scheduled for promotion next week. After the Wednesday rolls this feature will be available in all regions on the main grid.

__Oskar

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

I'd like the Viewer and Server teams to get together on this, and see how the notices and default viewer behaviour interact with each other, because there have been times, when I've used the LL voewer, when I've felt the slightest distraction could mean I miss something.

I'll see what I can do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.