Mesh animals, Movable Jaws!

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, so, I been playing with creating an avatar. Rigging seems to be a never ending task. OMG! But this led me to playing around with the rigging. I really hate that the jaw does not move. I figured, why not try to rig the jaw partially to the neck, so that as I make the head look up, it spreads the jaws. After a few test rigs for this, I was able to make it look and move pretty dang good, and much better than any prim animating device. I guess it helps that I'm really an animator, cause if you do this, you will have to create all the animation to make it work. Plus, any animations that move the neck and head from side to side separately is going to look really bad on this avatar. The trick is to rig the jaw very gradually, with the end getting the most weight.

Lycan-Jaw.jpg

• Like 2

Oh wow, that looks cool though. *peeks into the mesh forum entirely for this topic* I would be sooo excited about seeing more mesh animal avatars in SL. Definitely need to look into playing with mesh myself >.> So much potential there.

But yes, good work. ^^b

Thanks Nyx! I'm not done with this avatar yet, and the texturing is just starting, but I was extremely happy to get the Jaw moving like this. Especially for this avatar, as it is very important for a Lycan to roar and bite. Plus, no coding involved, which is always a good thing. I'm actually so geeked I'm done rigging and can animate him, I haven't had time to go any further with texturing him, lol.

No but that is interesting, and it's not brain surgery. If you have ever rigged anything than this kind of thing is not uncommon. I was just showing it to those that have not thought of it yet. I will probably do the same thing with eyebrows, ears and maybe other parts. Thanks for the link tho, cause I tried out the LL werewolves but did not see the jaw move at all. Damien says in the blog that he could not do it cause LL wanted the WW to howl. I don't have a problem animating a howl at all with this rigging. It's too bad the jaws don't move, and also that he created an offset for the avatar, cause his avatar could have used my motion capture Lycan animations.

Nice work  Med's  .Where did you get inspired to do that :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

watch your model if you tweak and re upload its easy to upset the pose and end up with a messed up mush.  

My capuchin monkey was notorius back in beta  when i set his movable jaw  because of its scaled down size .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysiSGsyyBXw

Looks good Ripped! Yeah, I can see how the small size would stretch it like crazy. I did the werewolf's eyebrows too. So now, when he roars, he looks angry. I bet I've uploaded him 20 times now, lol. The rigging is so important cause the animation for him is pretty extreme when it comes to stretching the mesh.

You have to watch out for jaw yaw to especially with long snouts as the lower jaw is no longer attached to the head bone

it's going to stay wher the neck tells it be. ,Although easily controlled with your custom anim's, gestures and thirdparty animations can distort  the head in nasty ways.Finding that sweet wieght is the trick .

It's really tricky to animate a jaw without a extra bone, from what it looks like you're doing there I see problems if an animation makes the head rotate on the z axis to any degree because it will leave the lower jaw behind.  Not sure if/when extra bones for mesh will be possible (and I've not the first clue how one would make animations for them) but once they are then that will make things like this and other more impressive stuff far easier to get right.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.