Moved Threads

Dresden Ceriano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know what you're thinking, another damned thread about threads being moved... but hold on... this is different.  Let me explain...

I have my preferences set so that I automatically subscribe to any thread to which I post.  I'm also subscribed to the feedback forum as a whole, which means if I post to something in the feedback forum, I get two emails for the same post.  No big deal, since there's hardly all that many people posting in it.

So, I had posted to the recently created vampire thread, before it was brushed under the rug that is the feedback forum... so you'd think I would have gotten double emails from any further posts to it.  I didn't.

Unfortunately I did not check to see if I was still subscribed to that thread before I posted in it again and since there's no way for me to tell if I got those single emails because I was subscribed to that thread or to this forum itself... I have to wonder, if threads are moved from one forum to another, does that automatically undo your subscription?

I mean, how many times have I been subscribed to threads that are moved, never to get another email alerting me to the fact that someone else has posted... simply because it was moved, therefore, whacking my subscription to it?  It seems like this could be happening and I would never know the difference.

If anyone has been able to understand what I've just tried to describe here (far too early in the morning and with far too little coffee in my system), let me know what you think.

...Dres *could just be delirious*

I know I'm not crazy... I just noticed that once the Hippiestock thread was moving I was no longer subscribed to it; it wasn't just a matter of not receiving notifications.  It makes me wonder how many threads I've lost track of simply because they were moved... this can't be the way it's supposed to work.

I would appreciate someone addressing this issue, who can actually do something about it, since this is exactly the kind of issue that would have been addressed at the CTUG... where we could get direct feedback and know, right away, that it would be looked into.  But since LL, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to do away with the most efficient way of dealing with an issue like this, it's either we bring it up here, hope someone notices and that they'll have the decency to reply back, wait for it, reply back, wait for it and so on and so on... or should we just start filing Jiras for every single little problem that arises? 

Seems like a waste of time.

...Dres

• Community Manager

You are correct.  When a thread is moved to another board, subscriptions are removed.  We are keeping an eye out for information on if Lithium will be changing this in the future.  Meanwhile, we can ask that the notice of "Moved Thread" also include a reminder that residents will need to subscribe to the thread again in the new location.  Not a perfect solution, but it should help.  Thank you for pointing this out!    

Linden Lab wrote:

You are correct.  When a thread is moved to another board, subscriptions are removed.  We are keeping an eye out for information on if Lithium will be changing this in the future.  Meanwhile, we can ask that the notice of "Moved Thread" also include a reminder that
residents will need to subscribe to the thread again in the new location
.  Not a perfect solution, but it should help.  Thank you for pointing this out!    

Yay, thank you for letting us know.  You're right though, that isn't the perfect solution.  I, like I'm sure many do, rely on the email notifications to remind me of the threads I have participated in, so that I can continue doing so, if I so choose.  But, I suppose, it's better than nothing.  Now if the mods would consistently post the Moved Thread notices, that would also be a great help.

...Dres

We need to thank Hippie as well... if he hadn't have publicized the fact that he'd had his thread moved on his feed, I'd have never known in order to confirm my suspicions.  Though I realize, from past experience, that it may be quite a while, I do hope that this is followed up on and eventually corrected... I can't imagine that this would be a desirable function.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.