The Vampire Bandwagon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is with LL and all of the Vampire promotions? All October leading up to Halloween it was vampire this and vampire that. Now, it's December and on the main page of the marketplace its "Become a Vampire". One would think they would promote the Christmas/Winter items.

Please LL, wake up. There are more RP groups than just vampires and goreans out there.

They were promoting vampires long before Halloween. I recall seeing, and commenting to friends, about seeing ads for SL on non-SL sites. All of the ones I saw promoted being a vampire in SL. The bigger question is "why?" I agree that  a more even promotion of a wide variety of aspects of SL would be in order. The old economics of a company town doesn't apply any more in the RL, why should it in SL? What happens when the vampire fad wears out and SL has put all its blood into one, um, basket? That's a few mixed metaphors that don't really work but I don't feel like fixing them.

Someone, somewhere on the Internet said (so it must be true!) that LL is so busy trying to chase the FB - Twilight crowd trying to compete with FB, etc. when all the while being totally oblivious to what they HAVE and what they offer that is unique. Instead of strengthening their niche they are trying to compete in a field where they don't really have the format to compete.

This isn't new or news. They've been ignoring what the people who use the place have been saying for a long time. So we'll continue to have stupid pale imitations of FB features and the very puzzling Vampires R Us while there is too much lag and land prices are too high and designers are leaving, etc.

PS. I don't know about anyone else but I was fine with vampires before all the pushing it on us. I considered RPing it. I still might. Illogical as it is though, with the virtual spam of the topic in all things SL I'm beginning to resent the heck out of them. Interesting and perhaps predictable reaction to the clumsy handling of the marketing/PR. Just a thought.

Ellyn Elan wrote:

The thread was moved to the basement, behind the old magazines, and under the bicycle parts.
I don't think anyone reads this part of the forum
, which is probably the point.

Wrong.  I do.

The Lindens read this 'part' of the forum.  Let's give Lexie a chance to get her bearings once again.  

ETA: Maybe this OP should have been moved to the commerce forum, instead.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

The thread was moved to the basement, behind the old magazines, and under the bicycle parts.
I don't think anyone reads this part of the forum
, which is probably the point.

Wrong.  I do.

The Lindens read this 'part' of the forum.  Let's give Lexie a chance to get her bearings once again.  

ETA: Maybe this OP should have been moved to the commerce forum, instead.  

I hope you are right. I was under the impression this is where they swept things when they didn't outright delete them.

Ellyn Elan wrote:

I hope you are right. I was under the impression this is where they swept things when they didn't outright delete them.

Occasionally the mods are struck by the enlightenment of inspiration and identify threads which may prove contentiously illuminating, so they relocate them here out of the mainstream of the forum listings so that contributors can be marked down for future attention, before the thread is eliminated with extreme prejudice.

Ellyn Elan wrote:

What happens when the vampire fad wears out and SL has put all its blood into one casket? That's a few mixed metaphors that don't really work but I don't feel like fixing them.

FIFY

...Dres (I not only read this subforum... I'm subscribed to it.  When I've decide I don't care anymore, I'll undo that and ignore it... like most everyone else does.)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

What happens when the vampire fad wears out and SL has put all its blood into one casket? That's a few mixed metaphors that don't really work but I don't feel like fixing them.

FIFY

...Dres (I not only read this subforum... I'm subscribed to it.  When I've decide I don't care anymore, I'll undo that and ignore it... like most everyone else does.)

smiley-gen014.gif

TY for the FIFY! Much better.

Ellyn Elan wrote:

They were promoting vampires long before Halloween. I recall seeing, and commenting to friends, about seeing ads for SL on non-SL sites. All of the ones I saw promoted being a vampire in SL. The bigger question is "why?"

The answer is presumably to be found here -- "(Reuters) - The newest "Twilight" vampire movie ruled the domestic box office for a third time with $16.9 million in ticket sales over one of the slowest movie-going weekends of the year, studio estimates released on Sunday showed"

Someone, I assume, reasoned that the release of this movie would create a renewed interest in fantasies about vampires and this, in turn, might induce some people to try SL who otherwise wouldn't, if the possibility of RPing being a vampire here were brought to their attention.   People who decide to try SL in order to become vampires and like the undeathstyle will then be very much in the market for the appropriate kit, so it makes sense to feature it in the Marketplace.    

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.