A "Follow"-up

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As posted on my.secondlife.com today, one now allegedly only sees on one's own "feed" content from the "feeds" of friends that one specifically wants to see:

Image2.jpg

[Er, that last bit is confusing. When I go to https://my.secondlife.com/settings/friends I don't appear to be "following" any of my friends (which is what the first part sounds like it's trying to say and is as it should be, in my opinion), so I guess one doesn't really "automatically follow" existing friends any more at all (which, again, is as it should be). I haven't tested this yet, nor have I tested to see whether one would "automatically follow" and see content from the "feeds" of new friends or not.]

That's all fine and dandy. I don't care if someone changed their display name. I can figure out who among my friends changed their display name to ŁĭŧŧŁę Ɓő ƤęęƤ all by myself, thank you very much.

What LL appears to have missed in this "update," or more likely has not even considered, is the ability to remove other people from among one's "followers."

None of my "followers" clicked "follow" on my profile. They are only listed as "followers" because I removed them from my friends list. Does it not make sense that if one's friends "automatically follow"... that if said friends are removed from one's friends list that they should "automatically unfollow"?

This isn't the only example of when people might want to remove "followers." There have been a number of posts complaining of "stalkers" using the "follow" function to "grief" their "victims" and asking for a way to block said "stalkers."

Would that really be so difficult to accomplish?

Edits: Fixed URL. Fail! Fixed URL.

Cool :-)  I went straight to my friends list and was shown as 'following' them all.  So I changed them all to not following.

It appears to almost work.  There's no 'save changes' button or similar that I could see but it seemed to remember them.  Apart from not displaying anything (neither 'follow' nor 'following') against 3 people.

Now if only LL a) fix Griffin's problem, b) make the profile page of profiles show instead of **bleep**-face feeds, c) prevent internet access and d) disable it all anyway so in-world works faster, everything will be fine again.

I'm confused, mine doesn't say any of that and I see no friends option whatsoever.  If I follow the direct link you provided it says the page doesn't exist.  Maybe you have to be looking at it within the viewer to get that... I'm using the web.  I have to assume there's a difference, since you can include pics with the viewer and not on the web.  It's just all so confusing.

I did notice, however, that if I hover my cursor over something a friend posted, there's now a little box with an arrow on the top left side where it gives me the option to "Remove from feed" (which I have to assume means the post) or "Stop following (their name)" (which obviously means the friend) when I click it.

So, at least they did something to enable you to unfollow your most obnoxious friends, if you have any that is.

...Dres

If you go to my.secondlife.com and log in, so you go to your own profile, you get presented with this new announcement.

Before this change, if anyone on your Friends list posted drivel to their own wall, your wall got spammed with it, and thewre was no way to block that from happening, other than removing that person from your Friends list forever.

Now, if you look at your Friends list via the web profile, you'll see that they all have a "Following" button, that you can click on to tell it that no, you don't automatically want to follow that person just because they are on your Friends list. You have to de-select each friend individually, but doing so does remove their spam from your feed page.

What this still does NOT do is allow you to see who is choosing to "follow" you, and block them from doing so. 

@Rik: I like the idea of having the option to allow only those you approve to "follow" you. I like the idea of "following" only those people on whose profile I actually click "follow" even better.

@Peter: Oh, you're right. I didn't look at that page closely enough and I was still following all of my friends. I'm not now. Thank you! I think the people who don't have a "follow" button have deleted their accounts or their accounts are otherwise closed. [ETA: I notice that this is also the case with people who have their "feeds" locked down.] One of my "followers" is deceased and I'm unable to "follow" him since I "unfollowed," nor can I remove him from my "followers." That's the crux of the matter, as far as I'm concerned.

@Dres: Sorry, the comma got appended to the URL. Fixed. I saw this on the web, not in the viewer. Yes, I found the "remove from feed" button quite by accident, as it's not actually visible to me for some reason. That removes the post and doesn't affect "following."

Ceera Murakami wrote:

What this still does NOT do is allow you to see who is choosing to "follow" you, and block them from doing so. 

Well, you can see who your followers are, but you should be able to block. One is able to do so on Facebook and Twitter. Seems like it should be simple enough to implement.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

@Dres: Sorry, the comma got appended to the URL. Fixed. I saw this on the web, not in the viewer. Yes, I found the "remove from feed" button quite by accident, as it's not actually visible to me for some reason. That removes the post and doesn't affect "following."

Oh okay, I see what my problem was... I had to sign out, then back in again.  Now I have the message on top, as you've illustrated.  Plus I didn't know where in my profile to click to get to that friends page... I was thinking it would be under settings since that is in the url but noooooo... it's under people.

Shows you how much I mess with those things... I just go there and throw things up on the wall when I feel like it, which isn't very often.  However the settings are set by default are how mine are set.  I don't care who reads my feed or posts to my wall.

But I understand people wanting to exert more control over it.  I especially think you need to be able to block individual people, and that if you should block someone inworld they are automatically blocked from posting on your wall as well.

...Dres (Btw... when you click on that url, the comma is still part of the link... even though you may have edited it out of the text, you'll probably have to go to the html tab and edit it there.)

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

...I think the people who don't have a "follow" button have deleted their accounts or their accounts are otherwise closed...

I think you're on to something there and that makes sense.  Hmmm ... even though it makes sense LL still might have done it accidentally (hehe).

At least one of the people on my list, with no 'follow' is definitely still in LL and has me in her friends list though (she gets notificaiton when I log in).  I think it must be having 'friends' only able to follow your feed or 'no one', if that's a setting.  In any case it seems LL have set it so that there is no 'follow' button if that person's feed is not accessible to you for any reason.  Nice one - a sensible solution :-)

The first I knew of this total nonsense that the arrogant 'out -of-touch' Lindens have foistered on us all with no discussion or feedback or surveys inworld - as per bloody usual - was when I got a email saying a girl I had only met in SL, that same day, was 'following' me.  WTF?  

I eventually found the mysecondlife.come page, after loggging into the secondlife page, and hopefully set my details to nobody - which is where the bloody Lindens should set things as default in the first place.

My friends in SL, I know from SL....you know that once cool 3d world that any other company other than LL would be proud of instead of ashamed about.

Are you listening, Rodvik Linden?  If I want facebook and twitter, I can go there. I want SL, and I would like it improved instead of this utter tosh you are fobbing us off with.

Please, please, please, please LISTEN to your residents, for goodness sakes, before introuducing childish teen orientated nonsense such as this crap.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

...I think the people who don't have a "follow" button have deleted their accounts or their accounts are otherwise closed...

At least one of the people on my list, with no 'follow' is definitely still in LL and has me in her friends list though (she gets notificaiton when I log in).  I think it must be having 'friends' only able to follow your feed or 'no one', if that's a setting.

It is the no one, aka the FOAD, option.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

@Peter: Oh, you're right. I didn't look at that page closely enough and I was still following all of my friends. I'm not now. Thank you! I think the people who don't have a "follow" button have deleted their accounts or their accounts are otherwise closed. [ETA: I notice that this is also the case with people who have their "feeds" locked down.] 

OK, that answers why some of the people on my Friends list have no Follow button after I chose not to follow them. I think it is because they do have their feeds locked down. I have all my own accounts set to "Nobody" for both feed-related options, and I did note that my alts on my Friends list were all missing the follow button, after I removed them from following.

I just stumbled on this regarding Muted individuals and MySecondLife:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2011-11-28-ROLLBACK/td-p/1257625

Second Life RC Magnum
This project is the same as last week. It updates the mutelist to be part of the People API instead of simulator side. We changed simulator behavior to send create/delete events in the mute-list to the People API. Social features on my.secondlife.com including web profiles will fully respect the mutelist i.e. no one should see messages etc from someone they have blocked. 
This feature is disabled on the web side until full release to all channels.

Thanks, Perrie. A step in the right direction, I guess, but...

- What if one don't necessarily want to block a person inworld? Why not allow blocking from feeds alone?

- It says that "no one should see messages etc from someone they have blocked." If one has one's feed privacy set to "everybody" can the blocked person(s) still see that feed? Can they post to it, so that everybody who doesn't have them blocked can see it?

Guess we'll see when this is rolled out to the main channel. My alts are bored and need something to do, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

tawny Braveheart wrote:

Whispers, Is there a way if you have unchecked "following" (not knowing what it was, to put it back?

thanks for any answers to this in advance! I went down and was just unchecking following, so could

add people back individually, and now, can't figure out where to add? "follow" button not there anymore?

I assume you mean you unfollowed everyone on your friends list, in which case they should still be in your friends list and should have a follow button next to their names, unless they have their feed set to allow no one.  I have no idea why else a follow button wouldn't be there, but you might want to try pulling up their individual profiles and seeing if there's a follow button there... the same goes for anyone not on your friends list.

...Dres

I have someone following me who doesn't have a follow button, isn't an ex-friend, have never met the person, and when clicking on their name I get "name does not exist". I highly suspect that their account is either suspend or banned, in which case I'd like to be able to remove them from following me forever for no reason.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.