Second Life RC KT info

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maestro, last week the Grid Status announcement led me to infer we were going to get another grid-wide series of OS-level code changes and restarts. It was supposed to be over by Christmas (now, where have I heard that before?).

We now have the KT channel. Good idea.

But somewhere in the process we seem to have lost the information about timing. Are we going to get the KT tests completed and code rolled out to the rest of the Grid before the 25th? It doesn't seem likely to me.

Maestro and Oskar, you do a good job of keeping us informed, but that last OS change was not fun for us. It wouldn't surprise me if it were officially not-your-problem, but try and get us some better information 

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Maestro, last week the Grid Status announcement led me to infer we were going to get another grid-wide series of OS-level code changes and restarts. It was supposed to be over by Christmas (now, where have I heard that before?).

We now have the KT channel. Good idea.

But somewhere in the process we seem to have lost the information about timing. Are we going to get the KT tests completed and code rolled out to the rest of the Grid before the 25th? It doesn't seem likely to me.

Maestro and Oskar, you do a good job of keeping us informed, but that last OS change was not fun for us. It wouldn't surprise me if it were officially not-your-problem, but try and get us some better information 

We decided to listen to the KT worries and complaints and make certain that there were no issues instead of blindly pushing towards pre-announced dates. I'm sure you can understand our concern not to force potentially broken updates onto the grid just to hit a deadline.

__Oskar

For those that are interested, I have two sims side-by-side. One that is on the RC-KT channel and one that is not. We have seen no deifference in the operations of scripts or anything else between the two. Although I wasn't aware that we were on two different server channels till I read this thread, I have no issues with LL testing in this way. Being in the software business myself, I can appreciate the complexity of testing and debugging a client server application as complicated as  SL. If I notice any issues, I'll file a Jira and move on.

What baffles me about all these test servers is that they seem to be deployed randomly in great numbers with no thought about whether there will anyone there with the knowledge or inclination to do any tests. Surely it would be more sensible to deploy these where people are willing and able to test them?

Oskar Linden wrote:

We decided to listen to the KT worries and complaints and make certain that there were no issues instead of blindly pushing towards pre-announced dates. I'm sure you can understand our concern not to force potentially broken updates onto the grid just to hit a deadline.

__Oskar

My main club sim has somehow ended up on this server, with no warning and no request if I mind and thus no permission to do so considering it isn't what I pay for nor what I want to pay for.

I've put a ticket in to have it moved back to the main grid server and have been told "it can't be". So what happens now?

I have to accept being moved back onto RC Servers without being asked? I'm meant to accept that we will have to apologize to live musicians, dj's and guests about the sims abysmal performance that I can't get changed, "because it can't be"? It's the busiest fur sim in second life consistantly and needs a stable server. Not RC, period.

You helped me rid our sims of RC servers before because of the issues they cause my particular guests and live acts but this time around tickets seem to be going nowhere. Seriously, Linden Labs needs a "never put these sims on RC" list, because after last time specifcally asking never to be placed on them again, I am more than slightly miffed and seemingly have absolutely nowhere to turn now.

So what do I do to get off this thing that IS broken, 'cause I have no idea anymore.

Primal Snowpaw wrote:

Oskar Linden wrote:

__Oskar

My main club sim has somehow ended up on this server, with no warning and no request if I mind and thus no permission to do so considering it isn't what I pay for nor what I want to pay for.

I've put a ticket in to have it moved back to the main grid server and have been told "it can't be". So what happens now?

I have to accept being moved back onto RC Servers without being asked? I'm meant to accept that we will have to apologize to live musicians, dj's and guests about the sims abysmal performance that I can't get changed, "because it can't be"? It's the busiest fur sim in second life consistantly and
needs a stable server. Not RC, period.

You helped me rid our sims of RC servers before because of the issues they cause my particular guests and live acts but this time around tickets seem to be going nowhere. Seriously, Linden Labs needs a
"never put these sims on RC"
list, because after last time
specifcally asking never to be placed on them again
, I am more than slightly miffed and seemingly have absolutely nowhere to turn now.

So what do I do to get off this thing that IS broken, 'cause I have no idea anymore.

RC KT is not an RC like you understand it to be. It does not contain unstable code. It is running the same stable code as your region would be without it. We used the name RC KT as a container for regions whose Linux Operating System was being upgraded. This is unrelated to our simulator code. All regions on the grid are getting this upgrade in sequence. It takes time. I appreciate your patience.

__Oskar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.