Second Life RC KT info

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The channel named "Second Life RC KT" is simply a new channel to test out a kernel fix. After the kernel upgrades from several weeks ago we have noticed performance issues that were only addressable at the OS level. We have fine tuned the kernel and made an RC channel just for it. The code is identical to the main channel code. There is no new simulator code on regions running on Second Life RC KT. The changes are all in the OS. 

It is possible that new issues will be introduced. That is why we made an RC channel for the kernel upgrade. If you notice issues that you believe are new and unique to the RC KT channel verify the behaviour against a main channel. If the main channel works as expected and there are issues with the Second Life RC KT channel please file a jira and report the details to us. Put "Second Life RC KT" in the jira title so we can see it.

I appreciate your help and hope that this kernel upgrade offers better performance than the previous one.

__Oskar

The simulator code maybe the same but the performance is not.

Please remove Gemini Isle from this test channel. And please stop subjecting customers running businesses to your "trial and error" code testing. Your code testing is NEVER a good thing for in-world business.

I suggest you employ some basic customer service principles and take the time to SEARCH and ASK for volunteers before randomly subjecting your paying customers to induced simulator instability..

I would like the region Christmas Decorations changed back too, the next two weeks are going to be very busy there and i dont want a repeat of last year when LL modded the search and kickec my region off the search totaly for the last two weeks in December and my traffic dropped off to nothing

Phoebe Avro

To expect lindens to use common sense or be concerned with customer service is really asking a lot at this point, and we are probably lucky just to get some explanation, vague though it is of what a RC KT server is.  What I can say is whatever you have done has been accompanied by massive lag and crashes in the sims of ours that you have foisted upon us.  It is of course impossible to tell if this is caused by the KT kernel or the OS upgrades or even last weeks restart updates.  Also we have noticed a very large and noticable failure of teleports over the last several weeks accompanied by crashes, so it LL really is serious about doing something besides going through the motions of making like they are trying to fix things they might want to give lag and port failure, and the sudden transformation of avis to clouds, even after they have changed their debug setting to stop this bug. 

None of this I fear in in LLs agenda, nor is customer service and instead we will be subjected to another month of continuous restarts without a clue what they are intended to accomplish other than make LL look busy, a further diminished economy, more players leaving sl in frustration, more unexpected and never to be explained bug, followed by more restarts and even less service than we have now, and in the meantime LL will be happily collecting our tier payments for land we may or may not be able to reach and service that we most certainly are not given.  Where this ends is predictable and will the last player to leave sl please turn off the light.  If this seems bitter there is good reason LL has offered increasingly diminished service since the restart program began two years ago, customer service has declined to the point where it is all but non existent and what we are left with is a huge mess that LL seems utterly incapable or uninterested in treating seriously.

Yes there's definately problems and unexpected adverse behavior with this "new" KT channel.

It's a shame you have to jump through hoops and be a seasoned experienced filer of Jira's to even report them.

I wonder how much just won't ever be reported because a lot of people 1) don't even know to look for problems because they don't realize they are on this new server and figure it's just part of all the other problems SL has pop up from time to time and 2) even if they notice problems they won't know how to report them because as usual LL doesn't make it easy and you have to have a certain level of knowledge here to even report the issues. And don't tell me "live chat"... don't hold your breath with them I have tried to report there and as others have warned me all they ever say is "please file a ticket".

And I'd post the live support transcript here as proof, but of course when I asked for permission to do so I was told these sessions are private and no one else is allowed to see them. Imagine that.

Thanks LL.

Nalates makes my point (I hope). If people do not even know how to view which server channel they are on how can LL possibly expect people to report the problems they see? And if people can't/don't report the problems they experience how can LL ever expect putting SIMs onto different "experimental" server channels will yield much useful information at all? And this is only half the problem. The other half is once you see a problem and learn it's a result of being on this "experimental" server channel you now have to know how to use JIRA to report it.

I'll try to help here. Here's a link to find information on what "server channel" your region is on: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid

Here's a link for instructions on how to file a JIRA: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Issue_tracker

I do feel I also have to mention it can take two weeks or longer for these Jiras to even be assigned to anyone (if they ever even get assigned), from previous experience monitoring the recent one about SL traffic numbers (again here's a link: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7459 ).

You tell me if it looks easy. Hopefully this will help others.

I didn't think Nalates was asking quite that.   I took her question -- which is a good one -- to mean, if we want to see how scripts and stuff perform on an RC KT region, where can we go?  Is there a list anywhere?  With the regular release candidates -- Magnum, Le Tigre and Blue Steel -- it's easy; just join the Beta Testers group and go to the appropriate sandbox.  But we can't do that in this case.

What is this???? RC KT is a experimental server?????

My venue Free at Last in Owlet sim is on this RC KT, and we're having serious problems. The main affect is that almost all scripted furniture has stopped functioning, a lot of it is simply broken beyond repair now. I have sent ticket after ticket, but nobody responded. And now I hear that we're on a experimental server that we didn't even know about?????

I have sent tickets to LL because I need help with this matter asap. Will somebody please contact me before I decide to shut all my enterprises and leave SL?????

Please all understand that I'm very, VERY angry about this. I am not a geek, I don't follow Jira and such, I have no idea that LL is experimenting with servers. I come to my place to find that scripted stuff is broken. Wen I send a ticket about it to LL, I get NO response at all. I need to search through Google to finally find out that LL has decided to test something and that they have decided to do that at my place, without consulting me first. NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT I'M ANGRY?????

LL do this just before the weekend, then all go bye bye!  this is not the how to run a company

ohh and btw LL support are not saying the same thing as Oskar posted they are leaving out this:-

It is possible that new issues will be introduced. That is why we made an RC channel for the kernel upgrade. If you notice issues that you believe are new and unique to the RC KT channel verify the behaviour against a main channel. If the main channel works as expected and there are issues with the Second Life RC KT channel please file a jira and report the details to us. Put "Second Life RC KT" in the jira title so we can see it.

again one hand not knowing what the other is doing, why bother to have support if they don't have a clue to what they are talking about ???????

Also why are LL testing this on private regions we pay a premium to have them, go test it on the mainland !

Are you all blind as to what's going on.  They disabled the 30 min. Auto-Log Off, common sense would tell you why.  I'm trying sell my parcel and I paid 12.2 L per sq./m. at the exchange rate at that time. At the current sale price I have it set to I have already lost $1000 US Dollars. I mean come on guys--would you not pull your investment out of anything else in this world if you lost that much. Real Estate has lost so much value on the Mainland and now there is way way to much Mainland area which isn't helping the market.  They need to reduce the Mainland size to help bring back up prices. I'm so pissed I can't even begin to describe. The phone and live chat people have no idea what your ever talking about and do not know the platform themselves.  At $195 a month for Mainland and $295 a month for an Estate this is a rich persons game and will always be that.

Alexi, I can understand your frustration. I hope slamming Lab staff makes you feel better because in all other ways it is counterproductive. Implying that the Lab lacks common sense is an unfounded ad-hominem attack.

There is no luck involved in getting information about what is happening with the server development. It takes some effort. One either reads this forum, attends the Beta Server meetings, reads the minutes, or my summaries of the meetings. See #SL Server Update Week 47 & 48.

The QA process the Lab uses is complex and well planned. If one reads the Server Update article, it starts to become obvious how complex the SL system is and problems slip through. SL is not your typical 3D game. It is still on the cutting edge of massive data serving and multiuser products. If one plays popular Facebook games during peak hours, they can see them having problems too. The problems we see here are industry wide.  [/end Alexi]

Oskar and other Lindens spend time informing us of what is happening and why. This takes time away from their productive work. Heap abuse on them and they start to withdraw. As best I can tell several Linden lead user groups have simply disappeared from having to deal with too much user blow back. I think examples are the Market Place development and viewer development teams. One can debate whether they deserve the blow back or not. I can think of 2 or 3 teams I think are messing up and deserve serious review by upper management.

I blog so I have my outlet for frustration. No one wants to read a whine. I deal with my frustration then write my posts… mostly. Dealing with frustration in my case is laying plans for how to bring change and finding the right pressure points.

In the case of Oskar, providing him actionable information is the best course of action to get results. If he is like me telling him he has no common sense will just piss him off… I think he lets it roll off his back, but I don’t know.

Actionable information is specific; region, host, time and date problem is happening, and steps for how to see the problem.

It is up to each of us to decide what we will do with our frustration and discontent. I see those that yell at the Lab as not bright enough to understand human nature and what is in their best interest. I know it can feel good. So, readers here can see whether people posting are effective thinkers or being lead around by their emotions. We just have to wait to see how long it takes emotional people to figure out how to cope with problems in SL. Its action and progress or drama and frustration...

Richie, I have no doubt you are correct there are problems in the RC KT channel. It was created to find problems.

I am not at all sure that having to be experienced in filing JIRA’s is necessary. I’ve filed several and they don’t seem that difficult.

I agree, having to know about JIRA’s is a problem. But, one has this forum and thread and you know the Lindens are watching it. More importantly: the Lindens that can specifically take action in regard to these problems, are watching. Ideally I would think one would post a JIRA and then a link to it here. Seeing JIRA links is a good way to educate the new to their existence.

On the experience thing… filing a JIRA does educate people on telling the Lindens what they need to fix a problem. The SL system is complex. It has taken considerable effort, thought, and time to fix the Time Warp bug, over a year. Users could not tell the Lab what was wrong, other than: I crashed. There are only a million things that could cause that. Obviously the Lindens are interested, but which of the hundreds of thousands of lines of code do they look at first?

The RC KT is a ripple from the Time Warp fix. The changes seen there have been on ADITI for some time with Beta testers and Lab QA hammering on them. Now you are seeing problems and the Lindens need specific information, ideally in a JIRA. But, even if posted here, specific information can help solve the problem.

The ETA from JIRA submission to rolled out fix is weeks at best because of the testing that code changes go through. If they rush them to us and mess up, they are just human, they get yelled at for not testing well enough. If they take the time to test, they get yelled at for taking so long. And heaven forbid that a bug slip through, which is often due to a lack of testing and reporting by the community… The last roll back was due to the scale of testing in the RC having been too small to see the problem. But, few people are enlightened enough to want to be in the Release Channels and help with testing. Residents do a lot to complicate and make the lives of the Lindens miserable. We definitely could be more helpful to our mutual benefit.

I can understand your frustration and anger too. But, go back and read the Common Sense part of this thread.

You may have miss identified the cause of your problem. The server code running in RC KT is the same as the main channel. The Linux OS kernel running in RC KT is different. While it could have affected scripts, it is doubtful.

If you just want to vent and live with the problem until they get it fixed, that is ok. Most of us will ignore you and move on.

If you want to help get the probem fixed, do some testing. Take a broken script to another main channel sandbox and try it. If your script is only broken in RC KT, that is useful information. If it is broken in RC KT and the main channel that too is useful information.

As far as I know there is no computer system that does not have problems. Google has crashed. GoDaddy has broken my blog. It gets fixed because those companies want to provide good service. The Lab does too and fixes things as quickly as they can. We can grip and whine about it, or help fix it.

@Nalates

Yes, you are right.  In my experience showing some willingness to assist Oskar and Maestro in their jobs will reap benefit in the quite short term!

That being said there is a huge groundswell of frustration present in the SL userbase, and Linden Lab seem singularly inept at getting folks on their side in almost any matter.

The bug on last week's LeTigre is a case in point, fixed (we hope) quickly and relatively efficiently. 

BUT...

That bug may have destroyed irreplaceable no copy items made by creators no longer in SL.  It has certainly caused upset to content creators still in SL who yet again have had disgruntled customers to deal with.

In such a situation it is simply not good enough for a well-meaning resident to come along and say "Bad things happen...Live with it"

Reason went out of the window in many cases a long time ago and SL residents are not among the most patient.  It really is up to Linden Lab and its employees to come to SL and engage with residents in a meaningful way, and by that I do NOT mean the travesty that is called "Office Hours".

In this case KT was a necessary evil, due to unforseen issues with the last Linux upgrade, but its sudden unannounced and rather cavalier imposition on SL traders at their most active time was crass to say the least.

SL residents need to think before they vent, true, but LL also need to show more care before they act as well.

I agree Natales. LL has steps in place to help avoid faulty code from hitting the main grid. First is the beta sim then it goes to the RC sims and if the ones on the RC sims don't report any adverse problems then it goes to the main. Just about every time a bug hits the main there hasn't been any mention by anyone there was an issue on the RC sim it was tested on until after. Then it's all "oh yea I noticed that". Sure it gets very frustrating when bugs occur on the RC sims but that's why they are RC. Anyone can file a ticket and request to be put on the main if they don't wish to help debug. We all play a major part in getting things fixed. If your car breaks down yelling at the mechanic doesn't do any good you have to describe what the problem is so they can fix it. But on the other hand LL does need better communication with those of us that are willing to give time to help out. Nothing irks me more then when they (LL)come to a sim to diagnose a problem and flat out ignore the owner when they have questions or new information. Some Lindens will take the time and discuss the issue but not very many and the fastest way to lose a customer in any business is to make them feel unimportant.

Lets get some good communication going :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.