Sim wide Avatar Scanner?

sarah5000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are probably many in SL, but this forum is not the way to find them.  You'll want to ask in the Wanted section of the Commerce forum or search in Marketplace. Actually, though, the easiest solution is to use a viewer with a decent radar, like Firestorm or Phoenix.  The radar in those viewers will list anyone in the sim by name and tell you how far they are from you. 

Otherwise, you can write a sim-wide scanner, but it's a lot of work.  Sensors can scan a maximum radius of 96m, so you either need an array of four overlapping sensors to cover a sim at ground level or you need to script a moving sensor.  Also, a sensor reports only the 16 closest avatars (or objects) within range, so if you have 20 avatars within your 96m radius it will only see 16 of them.  There are ways to get around each of those limitations by doing multiple scans, but as I said, it's a lot of work.

Hi, scripted radars used to be popular, but amost all viewers have some kind of avatar radar built in now. If you use a third party viewer, check the instructions on their web site, it is a little different on each one.

If you use the LL viewer, open the preferences and enable "Show Advanced menu" under the Advanced section. Next, from the main menu, pick Advanced>Debug Settings. Type in "NearMeRange" on that dialog, and set the number higher. I use 4444 because it is easy to remember and a slightly bigger than needed to cover a whole region. Now, the nearby people window (Shift+Ctrl+A) will give you a list of everybody. There are sort options, by name or distance in the gear menu at the bottom of that window,

I have thought of creating some sort of "awareness HUD" that sends out drones to scan and summarizes all the scanned into on the HUD.  Once the key of an avatar is determined via scan, the detected functions can be used to gather information and present that info in some tabular fashion using llSetText() on ths HUD.  Now that we have llRegionSayTo, one could speak to an avatar or with llMapDestination, could tp to it.  Also cam tricks can be used to follow any avatar within the region or even beyond.  

There's probably tons of other stuff you can do as well, but I have never gotten around to it.  Maybe soon.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.