Things that make you go hmmmm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

the main reason i believe ( from my experience) is that people often have familys and while those families dont take much notice of mum typing on the computer, they're ears would **bleep** up if suddenly they heard her talking into a headset, and would become alarmed if the headset were speakers and they heard the opposite sex speaking back. many people in Sl that are married in RL have second reltionships in SL, they believe that this isnt cheating because they are only pixels. I believe it IS cheating as they are investing emotional and sometimes physical hours with this sl person. It is when using voice that this will conflict their RL and SL that people get defensive and sometimes arguementative about using mics. I personally dont have a problem with it because i am single and free to do as i wish, and that the relationships formed in SL are as real as those in RL. I have even some friends that are on yahoo and skype from sl, and seen by the icon that they have a mic and say lets use voice, and when they tell me they dont have a mic, i suddenly know that they lie to me and perhaps not the person they claim to be. That is when i get sad after all their " i never will lie to you" bull**bleep**. summary....there are a lot of liers in SL, so best to keep everyone at a distance and treat them as a game until you meet some real people.

• 1 month later...

Phil, I really agree with what you wrote especially #2. I once had somebody post a 'not so nice' comment directed to me on a FB fan page for a game I used to play. Once she realized I was a little offended by it, she said she was being sarcastic. There was no 'lol' and she was a complete stranger. If I had been able to hear her voice I of course would have heard the sarcastic tone.

Anyway, I'm only 5 days old in SL and already I want to do voice because to switch between using the mouse, arrow keys, and typing is bothering me. It doesn't help that I get upset with my self when I do spelling errors. I would be fine when using voice if the other person is using text. I don't have a headset yet but I am looking into it (I live in Ontario, Canada). I wonder if I could just get a mic and use headphones that I already have? I have a pc with a jack for headphones and a jack for a microphone. If someone is chatting with me using IM and I am using voice, would they know that if they happen to have their sound off? I wouldn't want them to think I was ignoring them. Also, it wouldn't surprise me that some people would prefer that I don't use voice if they don't want other family members to hear the sounds coming from their computer...which I would have no problem switching to text if they requested. 

MsShy wrote:

Phil, I really agree with what you wrote especially #2. I once had somebody post a 'not so nice' comment directed to me on a FB fan page for a game I used to play. Once she realized I was a little offended by it, she said she was being sarcastic. There was no 'lol' and she was a complete stranger. If I had been able to hear her voice I of course would have heard the sarcastic tone.

Anyway, I'm only 5 days old in SL and already I want to do voice because to switch between using the mouse, arrow keys, and typing is bothering me. It doesn't help that I get upset with my self when I do spelling errors. I would be fine when using voice if the other person is using text. I don't have a headset yet but I am looking into it (I live in Ontario, Canada). I wonder if I could just get a mic and use headphones that I already have? I have a pc with a jack for headphones and a jack for a microphone.
If someone is chatting with me using IM and I am using voice, would they know that if they happen to have their sound off?
I wouldn't want them to think I was ignoring them. Also, it wouldn't surprise me that some people would prefer that I don't use voice if they don't want other family members to hear the sounds coming from their computer...which I would have no problem switching to text if they requested. 

They wouldn't know you were using voice unless you were boith in the same place and they could see the green waves above you head when you speak. Even then, they would need to have voice connected and initialised in SL, or they wouldn't be able to see the green waves. Of course, you could type that you're speaking - then they would know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.