Sign in to follow this  
Ginette Pinazzo

PROPOSAL: Getting More Forum Participants

ADULT FORUM: GETTING MORE PARTICIPATION

proposals by Ginette Pinazzo 11-29-11

PREMISE
Attracting more participants to the adult forum will increase the possible talent pool for new ideas, the usefulness of the forum as a feedback tool, and the effectiveness of the forum as a communication option for the community.

THREE IDEAS

1. VOTING GAME
Initiate a fun question that encourages new participants to join the forum and post their opinion. If the topic is compelling enough, current participants can ask everyone in their groups and friends list to join the forum and contribute.
Examples:

• Vote for the wildest club in SL
  • Best kept secret romantic spot
  • Funniest thing you overheard at an SL party

NOTE: due to the informal, inaccurate and probably untrustworthy nature of voting procedures I don't recommend this is done for actual real voting that impacts policy, but rather as a fun vehicle to simply get more people into the forum.

2. LITERARY CONTRIBUTIONS
Create a special category just for this purpose: where participants can post submissions of items they write to fit specific criteria. Could be a contest with winners and a  deadline or simply a more open process.
Examples:

• Jokes!
  • Limericks!
  • Exquisite Corpse style fantasy story

NOTE": because of the forum's nature, content could not actually be A-rated

3. MORE ROBUST WELCOME CATEGORY
Participants are encouraged to join the forum and always introduce themselves in the Welcome category by using a form-like structure that is more detailed and asks for fun details, to make the Welcome process more engaging. Almost like a mini-profile or one of those introductions' everyone is forced to give at group meetings for the first time (but fun!). Maybe just some simple questions everyone gets to answer to 'become part of the forum crowd'.
Examples:

• Your Favourite new Acronym
  • What You Are Wearing At This Moment
  • Most Bizarre Thing In Your Inventory RIGHT NOW

Note: maybe something whimsical, adult-related but not adult per se

Adult Forum: Getting More Participants

• Like 1

Excellent Ideas.......I for one will try  to  participate  more.........And urge everyone to  do  too.....May be a  eerie  fantasy  story  will be forte... heheheheh....well thought of  proposal Ginette........Kudos

First a general comment:

Any development to the forums that sucks away in-world time is a general bad idea, and undermines  SecondLife, Linden Lab's general business idea and the content providers. The more compelling you make the forums, the less incentive you give for people to log onto SecondLife proper. 

To address your point number 3, I see what you are aiming for, but the implementation is flawed. You can rather achieve this by:

• Integrate the forum profile with the in-world profile. The forum profile should BE the in-world profile.
  • Improve the in-world profile by adding an adult tab, and generally cleaning it up for readability and make it much more search friendly
  • Take hints from online sites that are contact oriented in that you could add a "Who is online" and "How is new" menu item in the viewer. This usually is accompanied with functionality to narrow the selection in these resulted listing to whom you may be interested in (hence the making profiles more search friendly above.)

With 16000 signups every day one needs to focus on getting the in-world profiles populated and used, and not clutter the forums with too many introductions that easily could run in the many hundreds a day with such a sign-up rate. 

I visited the new Adult Hub because I happened upon this forum.  I saw there was a way to inform you guys of how we found out about it.  There was no option for 'read about it in the forums' so I didn't vote.  It's not like LL has put up a big sign saying "WELCOME ONE AND ALL!  REINTRODUCING THE NEW AND IMPROVED ADULT GATEWAY.  GET AGE VERIFIED AND CLICK HERE TO TELEPORT TO THE FRIENDLIEST HUB IN SL!!!!  GRAB YOUR FRIENDS AND COME AND EXPLORE ALL THERE IS TO OFFER"  Maybe I should open up the Destination Guide more often.

I bounce all over SL and I have never seen anything to draw my attention to this.  It is possible that you are marketing only to the brand new signups and all the info is where they land...

But... To the OP - I have been active in these forums for a more than a year.  Your options 2 and 3 will probably get a few more people in here.  Start a story or an open ended rp that anyone can add on to.  I think Carole started one on a book or movie.  Option 3 would just be fun and if it was under "General Discussion" you would get people reading it that think they're in the People General Discussion room instead of the Adult General Discussion room (a little underhanded, but it works).  I would NOT recommend option 1 at this time.  It would turn into a flame-fest.  With residents being accused of spamming the forum or using it for self-serving advertising.  You might just want to take a peek in the new vampire section.  Most of the posts have been deleted and many longtime forumites were banned for complaining about people advertising clubs, clans HUDs or stores in their posts which is against TOS and Community Guidelines.  All around bad PR for the vamps and many others.

The Adult Hubs will be annonced on December 3 as per Viale Linden. I think they have had a run-in period to make sure everything is set up before they let the hordes in. 

While I agree taking things into forums is NOT immersive and can take away from SL, the concept behind my proposal(s) is this:

Integrate it more.

Especially as our current LL rep has made it abundantly clear he wants to shift away from inworld meetings and into these forums. If the dynamic and inetractive nature of inworld meetings is lost (as I believe it it has become), then dynamic and interactive nature CAN occur here, if done right. We need more people in here and we need them more engaged.

I agree (as usually) with it all Ginette.  But, I also think we would have lot more participation and relevance if they added an adult disclaimer button when you logged into the adult forum and perhaps even make sure everyone is adult verified.  Then we could actually explore more adult themes and idea.

I will never stop lagging over the fact that the adult forum is PG rate. 

• Like 1

The main annoyance, at least for me, of the forum being G rated is that **bleep**ing stupid word-filter that, among other things, prevents our using the correct anatomical terms, let alone even slightly vulgar colloquial ones,  for parts of the human anatomy.   It would be nice if it could be turned off for just this forum, but I'm wondering -- because I don't know -- how technically possible that would be on this platform. 

If it can be done*, that would highly desirable, to my mind.    Heavens, for all the complaints I've heard about SLU and SCII, I've never heard anyone complain about the fact people sometimes use bad language.   

But what else can't we do?  I don't think posting NSFW images is a good idea on any blog or forum that people are likely to read from work (during their breaks and with the permission of their employers, of course), so I'm not too vexed about that.  Under what other constraints do we post, though?

*ETA  I am informed that it's not possible on this platform to have different filters for different forums, which I feared might be the case.   So if they change or turn off the word filter for this forum, it means changing or turning it off for all of them.

I dont think it would very difficult to use any of those 3 suggestions in my thread with G-rated constraints, actually. It would just take a little cleverness. The point is to get more involvement in here (forum) and involvement that's hopefully integrated w/ the immersive SL experience. That would be great. Doesnt need to be naughty, just creative.....

True Ginette however, if I am not mistaken, you goal is for more participation.  Games and such are all great ideas to maintain good participation. You and I have been on this adult forum long before it was known to the public and as you may recall, we had a lot more flexibility in what was discussed then.  You could only be in from an invite by Linden Labs and we had an adult disclaimer when you logged in. 

I don't see where could not have at least an adult warning and require that accounts be adult verified to use this forum. In that case, we would/could do all kinds of stuff but more importantly, discuss adult themes and ideas. 

You know me, I am probably the most cautious person here and in fact, made some suggestions on Zindra about legalities where you changed some of the marketing there.  As a legal professional, I am far more cautious than most but at the same time, a realist who believes in the freedom speech.

I am one of your biggest fans, admire the work you do and agree with you 100%.  I would just like to see this go another step further.

I am sure other adult content creators like Ishy, Javier and Sassy would agree.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

You and I have been on this adult forum long before it was known to the public and as you may recall, we had a lot more flexibility in what was discussed then. 

I  was a member of that forum, too, and the only difference I can see between that forum and this one is that this one is considerably more active and also benefits from the participation of several people whom I would have thought it was a no-brainer to invite but Blondin didn't.   The place was as quiet as a grave, most of the time, and just about moribund for the last couple of months before it was put out of its misery and replaced with this one.  

What ideas and themes did we discuss there that we couldn't just as well discuss here?   

Well, several come to mind but the one that sticks out most is the one Blondin placed on the sex toy that was being made in RL now as well.  Even the mention of what the toy was would be flagged in MP so, I assume the same would be here as well.

Since the Forums ToS nearly mirrors the MP ToS, I would think the word Korean spelled with the Letter "G" at the beginning would be flagged here not to mention most sex devices, themes, anatomical parts, sex positions and acts, etc.  I can also think of a few locations and sims whose names could not be used here.  One has the initials BB.  The other ends with the word "House" and many clubs and regions with the F-Word in them.

Could you make a post of the top 20 adult locations in SL here? You'd have to cut out about 1/2 of them.

I guess my point is, why not just flag it like they do in MP for adult content and make it an opt In forum.

I agree Chels, and if this forum had that adult content warning, etc, that would certainly open even more possibilities as far as activities and topics here.

Whether this forum gets reformatted like that or not, I feel we can still take clever steps to get more involvement. No matter what, we can still get more participants.

PS -  I still maintain it is easy to talk about adult content issues without actually using adult content-sensitive terminology in the forum. It really depends on the focus and intent of the forum. Although it's amusing on one level that the adult content forum is G-rated, there are so many topics abt the business. marketing,.policies and promotion of adult SL that can easily be discussed in G-rated format. A quick look at the diversity in this forum already indicates that there is no shortage of dialogue.

Could you make a post of the 20 most popular adult locations at all?  – Would not that easily end up under the Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising clause of the Forum rules?

If there is a need for it, an adult-only-access sub-forum could be made it they manage to code the access (they probably could use the access code from the marketplace.)

I agree with Ginette that most issues can be discussed in a PG manner. Actually, it is an advantage that the forum is not hidden behind an access wall as it helps to inform and make people see the entire SecondLife. Some may even want to explore it. 

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

Well, several come to mind but the one that sticks out most is the one Blondin placed on the sex toy that was being made in RL now as well.  Even the mention of what the toy was would be flagged in MP so, I assume the same would be here as well.

It was left in -- possibly by an oversight -- when this forum was opened up, if you're talking about this item Blondin posted.

Not really and it's very common to post Favorite Places, etc.  There is even a category for this.  SURL's and locations are often posted here and asked for where it is not solicitation.  The Linden's themselves often post them as well.

However, this thread is getting way off topic and I concur with Ginette and do not want to take away from my good friends post.

Yes Ginette, I love this idea and encourage it.