Restarts without end. How long will it last?

Lali Kamala

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Lali

LL restart sims every week to add new software and fix known bugs.  Each sim is usually only restarted once, and if you are building, it is important to look here: http://status.secondlifegrid.net/  to see when Restarts will happen.  If you are building very soon before a restart, you will lose anything that you do not "take" before the sim restarts.

Restarts to most of SL (Main Server) occur between 5am SLT and 9am SLT on Tuesdays.  Restarts to RC (Release Candidate, or trial) Channels occur on Wednesdays between about 7am and 10am SLT.

You should always check with the Grid Status page before starting to build.

The reason you may lose builds is that "Snapshots" of each sim are taken regularly during the day, and if you new build is not in the backup snapshot taken before the restart it will be "lost" irrevocably, unless you have a copy in your inventory.

You will not lose textures you have uploaded in a normal restart -- the ywill still be in your inventory.   In building, you need to learn to back up your work.  Think in terms of parts that  go to make your build.  Work on one part at a time.  After you have done a significant amount of work or when you are ready for a beak,  either link the part and take a copy into inventory or take it as a coalesced object.  

Coalesced object: What is that? 

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/05/kit-coalesced-object-what-is-that.html

Suggested pol;icy: Never leave a piece of work without getting a back-up of what you have just done.  

"Nothing is done till it is in backup."

TKR

After every restart I find I cannot access my home sim and have to get the sim restarted to fix the problem.

But apparently this is not caused by them and even though a simple second restart fixes the problem, I am told its not their issue and because they can get in an out with no problem, I'm imagining things. Am on my seventh support ticket and found thier attitude distinctly unhelpful. i know other people can get in, but I can't, and its my home. And before I get the run down of fixes to try, I've tried them all. The only thing that resolves it is another restart. *sigh*

Sorry, this not my thread to vent on, just suffering restart fatigue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.