Deploys for the week of 2011-11-28 ROLLBACK!!

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We have found a serious crashing issue after deploy to the main grid today. We are rolling the main channel back to the last stable code. We apologize for any inconvenience but hope that this will offer some grid stability.

Second Life Server (main channel)
After the rollback this channel will contain the Havok project that was on here last week.

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This contains the same project with the enhanced threaded region crossing code. You may or may not see region crossing enhancements. This code is a prototype of an infrastructure we may build on in the future. There shouldn't be a noticeable increase in region crossing failures.

Second Life RC LeTigre
A new "maint-server" project. Details coming.

Second Life RC Magnum
This project is the same as last week. It updates the mutelist to be part of the People API instead of simulator side. We changed simulator behavior to send create/delete events in the mute-list to the People API. Social features on my.secondlife.com including web profiles will fully respect the mutelist i.e. no one should see messages etc from someone they have blocked. 
This feature is disabled on the web side until full release to all channels.

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Okey now the big question why are we have more restarts tonight after those this morning?  Have you guys made another mess and have to do another rollback, you would think with two weeks time you would have at least gotten this one right, but it does not seem so.  Frankly, if LL cannot improve play and stability with these constant restarts, it may be time to ask what good are they doing as for the last two years things have steadily declined and LL has added more and more material to the already overtaxed servers via the restart process.  With a record as clear as this perhaps it is time someone took a close look at this entire process and asked if it is worth the risks.

Alexi Raynier wrote:

Okey now the big question why are we have more restarts tonight after those this morning?  Have you guys made another mess and have to do another rollback, you would think with two weeks time you would have at least gotten this one right, but it does not seem so.  Frankly, if LL cannot improve play and stability with these constant restarts, it may be time to ask what good are they doing as for the last two years things have steadily declined and LL has added more and more material to the already overtaxed servers via the restart process.  With a record as clear as this perhaps it is time someone took a close look at this entire process and asked if it is worth the risks.

We do not take rollback scenarios lightly. A serious crashing bug manifested on the main channel that was not noticed while the code was in RC. Grid stability is a huge concern for us and we couldn't allow this code to remain on the main channel. I hope you can understand.

Several restarts of my region, CoDi Island were done tonight.  I counted two and there were possibly three..... After the first restart, things in my home (furniture, decor and part of the house such as roof and deck) were missing.  This is true throughout the rest of the three other parcels on the sim.  I was hoping after the second restart, the things would return but they have not.  I have contacted live support, sent a note to the sim owner asking her to request a rollback, and am also posting here.... Nothing was being built or was in a state of "flux".  Everything was and had been stable and locked for months.  I hope you can help!

Tasha Pierrick wrote:

Several restarts of my region, CoDi Island were done tonight.  I counted two and there were possibly three..... After the first restart, things in my home (furniture, decor and part of the house such as roof and deck) were missing.  This is true throughout the rest of the three other parcels on the sim.  I was hoping after the second restart, the things would return but they have not.  I have contacted live support, sent a note to the sim owner asking her to request a rollback, and am also posting here.... Nothing was being built or was in a state of "flux".  Everything was and had been stable and locked for months.  I hope you can help!

Tasha please contact support and report the issue of your missing items. 

• Lindens

The release notes for this week's RC LeTigre have been published: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11#11.11.30.245889

To answer your question, WolfBaginski, the 'crasher' was tricky to notice because the 'crashes' were actually just unexpected clean restarts (as though an estate manager had restarted the region), so they didn't appear in the crash reporter.  Also, there were no reports of this issue while this server was in RC.

Oskar

Something odd is going on on LeTigre.

All our poseballs rezzed by our bed (NOT PURELY A SEXBED) and a couple of other toys are hopelessly mis-positioned.  As far as we can recall the Jane's bed was OK last week, but I'm not certain - it was certainly OK two weeks ago.

We were sim 21110 on LeTigre.  I've just restarted our sim, I will add more once we see what's what after the restart.

Oh, and what on Earth is RC KT?? Not Triple's post, it was a shop I just was in on that RC.

EDIT:  Tried a restart to sim 21076...no change...pls see SVC-7499.  This is definitely related to the server version.

also FWIW we are having issues with previously worn (and removed) prims showing up on our avatars after a relog...asset server issue? Yet again??

Hi Oskar

just to let you guys know we can no longer drive between my two magnum sims without getting tossed offworld and then rubberbanding back with the camera all skewed . I've tried both mesh and normal cars and mesh is worse but normal cars can't cross either. This happened after the previous upgrade from today and didn't notice it until last night

Thanks for that info.

I do wonder if a little more attention needs to be paid to logging restart requests, but I'm not at all sure that correlating that data with actual restarts is worth the effort at this stage. It does look as if there's room to improve how things are logged: you might be having to look in too many different places. Sorting that out would not be trivial.

I'm in a LeTigre sim and the latest server release broke my furniture with rezzing pose balls completely.  The menus work but no pose balls rezz, though it acts like it did rezz them. And it gives me two out of bounds errors which I think implies that its trying to rezz the pose balls somewhere that's invalid?  I tried rezzing the furniture in KT, BlueSteel and non RC release sims and there it still gives the errors but at least rezzes two pose balls but they are in the wrong place and don't present the proper pose when sat on.  I have been using this furniture for years without problems and now it seems totally broken. and won't even work on non RC sims.  What's going on?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.