How would you handle this?

Grace Winnfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I received a message from a customer (i think) who stated she purchased a demo gown from me yesterday ( I see no transaction from her avi in my second life trans history or in my marketplace trans history) and then the full version of said gown today (again nothing in either transaction history).  I have had transactions on my second life transaction history today, but not marketplace, none from her.  I also did not get a message when i logged in stating that anything had been delivered.  She is asking me to pass her the full version gown, has posted in her nc her transaction (looks right as if copied from trans hx) with an order number and everything.  She states the money came out of her account, I have not received it however... and have no proof of the transaction other than her word.

What would you do?

Have any of you other merchants experienced this?

I have replied asking her to please contact Linden Labs, as i have no record of the transaction.  My items are transfer as well.. so in general i do not replace non delivered items and on the off chance that i do i pass a no transfer copy.  I have honestly only done this one time.

I've had people try to get over on me by requesting replacements of products that they never bought. So, I would have done the same as you did. 

Anyone can make up a fake transaction record.  So that is not real proof unless you can match it with one on your records.

When an item is transferable there is no way for you to know if she gave the item to someone else thinkiing she could have it replaced. I have a firm policy not to replace items that are transferable unless the customer can return the original item to me AND that the problem with the item happened through no fault of the customers.

Lastly, since you didn't get paid for the item you are under no obligation.  If LL took the money from her account then they are the ones on the hook, not you, until they post the transaction in your account history AND pay the money to you.  If she has a legit claim then the Linden's should be able to straighten this out and do this.  Even basic account holders can file a ticket for Marketplace support.  If its not a legit claim, then I doubt she'll file a ticket . 

Agree. Some people do this all the time. I had a person who asked me for a redeliver a month later (maybe thinking I did not save my transaction history). So when I ask him about transaction history or order number, he just didn't reply. Guess why ;-)

You can ask the customer to send a ticket to LL for a redeliver (create a new case and pick Marketplace - Failed marketplace delivery), they could check it for sure ^^ LL redeliver is very fast. And if you see the deliver message text, send yourself a ticket also to LL, asking for your money :P

Merchants using in-world vendors will be pleased to know that LL is introducing a couple of new scripting functions that will make it possible to confirm whether transactions have succeeded (see http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Upcoming-LSL-feature-llTransferLindenDollars-and-transction/td-p/1239275).

In the first place this confirms L$ transactions but the blurb implies that object-delivery will be next.  We have to assume LL will be offering the same checks for the marketplace.

Just to bring a little balance, In the past, i've asked a merchant about a product that I paid for which I didn't receive.  Then later realised that it was the wrong merchant due to nothing more than a case of mistaken shop identity.

Lets not jump to assume that all people that make such requests are evildoers. :)

Grace Winnfield wrote:

well yep except that she had a bogus trans history with my store name and item from my store LOL

You really can't be sure her transaction history is bogus, this certainly wouldn't be the first time an error like this has been reported recently.

As others have said, if you dont have a record of this, the customers only option is to raise a ticket and let LL sort it out.

I'd do 2 things to cross reference..

A.. Ask for the version number that only appears in the box . If they havent bought it then it's not easy to quote. ( if you don't do this you might consider it.. add a number into the description field or a date.

B, I ask them to show me the item in world and check the owner.

I can also check the vendors but only in world.

Since it doesn't happen very often, I say weigh the benefit with the cost. It really costs you nothing to replace the item, and if you even gain one customer from someone seeing this person wearing your merchandise, you've gained a lot. If it turns out to be a legitimate request, whether or not LL is at fault and should be responsible for the error doesn't matter -- you will be the one who looks bad to the customer, and to all her friends she is likely to tell her story to.

My problem is I bought dog tags from the market place. They were modify, transfer, no copy which is why I chose this particular one as I wanted to personalize and give as a gift. Once modified, which took about 5 uploads of image done in photoshop to get it right...now I have spent 150L, I created a folder, put the dog tags inside the folder along with the creators note card, instructions, and LM. A few days later, I wanted to give the whole folder to my friend, and everything was there, BUT the item. Gone. I looked in every sigle folder, the trash, everywhere even though I know for sure I put it in the folder as I was VERY careful knowing it was no copy. I dropped a notecard to the creator explaining what happened and wondering why the item would disapear after I modified it. She has not bothered to answer me. So I am out the 100L for the dog tags, the 50L for images. I thought I was getting a good deal as all the others I looked at were a lot more expensive. The only one who got a good deal is the creator who got my money for nothing.

Star

Staralien wrote:

The only one who got a good deal is the creator who got my money for nothing.

The creator got your money by selling you an item, which you received, not "for nothing" at all. It's a plain transaction which was fulfilled on both sides. What happened to that item afterwards is entirely outside of that creators control and responsibility. It is mischievious of you to suggest that you were in any way conned by them. How on earth do you expect that merchant to explain to you how the item disappeared? You say you were careful- fine, we have to believe you, or not. It became lost- possibly due to the vagueries of inventory loss- but do not suggest that the merchant has profited unduly through this. That is very naughty of you.

If they were very nice, they'd replace it, but they owe you nothing.

I was upset that the item disappeared and I realzie it was not the creators fault as there was no script in the item that would make it do that. The creator has been kind enough to replace the item and in fact we became friends. I realize now that sometimes things can disappear from one's inventory and no one seems to know why. I did not intend to make it seem it was the creator's fault and in the future, if I am upset about something, I will not post until I have had a chance to calm down and think clearly about the situation. Sometimes, in the heat of what ever is happening, people say or do things that they would not ordinarily do. When that does happen, hopefully we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves and in any case, we can choose not to do the same things again. That said, I humbly appologize for my prior post.

• 8 months later...

im  actually in a similar situation, i purchased some items from the marketplace on the 13th of this month, now i recieved 4 of the items straight away and naturally waited from the other 6, when they didnt arrive after a full day i got worried and contacted the sellers who told me that they have a record of me making the purchase back  28th of july, now yes i did buy some things back then but not the items in question, i managed to get most of the missing items except one, of which i have been in contact with the seller about. now here is where it gets wierd ,i decided to check my transaction history on here (secondlife.com) and what do i find but the record stating that the purchse was made on the 13th so i decide to check the transaction numbers and low and behold they match the numbers on the markeplace record from the 28th of july. now i know should have been refunded the money  on reciving the non-delivery notice but i have seen no refunds or had any notification about it and i am atleast 2500l$ out of pocket

Check your order history here (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/orders) and file a support case (https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/).

Select Marketplace >> Failed Marketplace Delivery from the dropdown list and fill in the required field. Hope you can get the missing purchase.

For the future, it's safer to buy items one by one without using the shopping cart.

Another little detail worth noting is that when you put the first item into the Shopping Cart, the date/time you put that item in is the date/time recorded for the Order. Even if you empty the Cart manually, until you actually complete the checkout process that date/time will stick.

So you could put something into your cart in January, change your mind and remove it again .. then here in August go back and add a few things then check out. The Order Record will show up with the items you just purchased, but with the date/time of January .. when you first put that item into the Cart.

I know, it's totally weird. But because the Marketplace doesn't do any "Stale Cart Cleanup", it's how it works .. and they don't seem interested in changing it.

So it's entirely possible that's what happened to you James. You may have put one more item into your Cart back on July 28th then taken it out again (right then or sometime later). But the stuff you purchased on August 13th will still show up in your Orders as being purchased on July 28th .. because that's the date/time when the Order was first opened.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.