Why can't I connect to Second life via Wifi, but I can connect via Ethernet cable?

LiddoLouie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I try to connect via Wifi it says
" Login Failed.
Second Life cannot be accessed from this computer.
If you feel this is an error, please contact
support@secondlife.com ."

but, when I connect via Ethernet Cable  its perfect;

plus I don't like connecting to Ethernet cable &* its not always avabiable for me to do so.
Plus I rather sit in my room or somewhere else, then sitting in one conner of my house just to be on Second Life

3 answers to this question

Because wireless connections are vulnerable to bandwidth loss and to interference from other electronic sources, like cell phones, garage door openers, "smart" kitchen appliances, and the guy next door building a TARDIS in his basement. Wireless was simply not designed for the uninterrupted high bandwidth conditions that SL requires, so a lot of SL residents find that it is unreliable.  We generally recommend a good cable connection for dependable use.

I agree with Rolig on the use of WIFI or wireless for Second Life.  But, it does work if all the conditions are good (like no outside interference, strong signal in both directions, and the router is properly set up.  If you are trying to acess SL from a public WiFi hotspot (such as a library or cafe, it could be that the network is setup to block high bandwidth programs like SL.  If it's your work or University network the same applies.  For both those cases you need to contact the network administrator to see if they will make some exception for SL (but don't expect much in the way of help.....the network is set up that way for a reason and it's unlikely the adminitrator is going to change the settings).  Also, if it's your home network it could be the way your router is configured........routers are now coming out with the default setting to block wireless connections instead of the older default of allowing any device to connect.  You'll have to go into the router's setup to change it.......or look in your documentation to see how you connect wirelessly.  My Vizio router has a hard coded passcode that you must enter from the device you want to connect wirelessly with....it's simple but unless that passcode is entered and stored on the router's memory you cannot connect wirelessly.  For obvious reasons I think that's a much better default setting.

Ditto

I have a strong wireless signal from my router 30 feet away to a very good machine. It works like a charm, but, the same machine hooked up with a cable has one-third more bandwidth. Try it yourself, hover your mouse over the connection icon and see what it reads (at least that's how this admittedly non-techie  does it). Try it for both connection, I think you'll find that's why.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.