sim owner ruined my furniture!!!

Sierra Oskar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I rent a house in a gorean sim for a long time. there were never any problems with the previous sim owners. The sim recently changed owner and this guy thought in order to reduce lag to disable the scripts from sex rugs, etc in my house.  it would be easier just to tell me to remove the furniture. Now they are all useless prims with no menus and no modifiable. i paid thousands of lindens this and instead of having fun in sl i get in every day trying to find the creators to fix them.  My questions are 1. how did he manage to ruin the scripts since he is not the owner of the items and 2. how can i repair them since i can never find the creators on line.

Thank you Blaze and Mary for messing up my sl home!!!!!

Sierra Oskar wrote:

tyyyyy so much will try that, but if that applies the furniture would normally work in other sims, right??? but they don't.....

Take it to a sandbox and rez it there to be sure, it may be that other sims have allowed rezzing and have scripts turned off.  Barring that, did you enable "share" with group when you put it out under "General" in the edit panel?  That would give other group members the same modify permissions that you enjoy.

If the scripts are not disabled region wide. Then, what he/she probably did was disable the item from the region Tools top scripts window. Which put the scripts in a OFF state. So, being NO MOD. you can't reset the scripts to turn it back on . a Bit of a flaw there, Not sure if you can use viewer tools Either to "Set Scripts to Running" . The owner should have resorted to returning the item. But sounds like hes a bit new to the ins and outs if that is the case..

I don't know how far you've got with your testing, but you can try this:-

Take one of the dead items into your inventory. Then activate your group tag (that's the group that owns the land). Then rez the item again. That will "set" the item to the group but it won't give others in the group any abilities with the item.

It's very common with rentals - probably normal - that scripted items need to be set to the land-owning group for the scripts to work.

change group ph.jpg

change group fi.jpg

Phil Deakins wrote:

I don't know how far you've got with your testing, but you can try this:-

Take one of the dead items into your inventory. Then activate your group tag (that's the group that owns the land). Then rez the item again. That will "set" the item to the group but it won't give others in the group any abilities with the item.

It's very common with rentals - probably normal - that scripted items need to be set to the land-owning group for the scripts to work.

You don't necessarily need to take an item back into inventory to change the group.  These images are from Phoenix (you'd click on the "set" button) and Firestorm  (you'd click on the tools icon), and then change the group in the pop up window.  I don't know exactly how these windows look in V2 or 3 though.  But it can sure save a lot of time repositioning objects.

You are right, Perrie. I was remembering back to when I rented out skyboxes and got frequent IMs from tenants because they couldn't rez something. The answer was to put the group tag on. Setting an item in the Edit box is the quick way when it's already rezzed. It still needs the group tag on though - doesn't it? If not, it's easier to say "put the group tag on" than to explain the steps to select the group - maybe :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

You are right, Perrie. I was remembering back to when I rented out skyboxes and got frequent IMs from tenants because they couldn't rez something. The answer was to put the group tag on. Setting an item in the Edit box is the quick way when it's already rezzed.
It still needs the group tag on though - doesn't it?
If not, it's easier to say "put the group tag on" than to explain the steps to select the group - maybe
:)

I just tested to double check and NO, you do not need to have the group tag active.

Are your items useless when you try to use them in a script enabled sandbox?

The owner of the land likely just went through menus and disabled scripts or lag-heavy items in specific.

Some types of furniture, especially XXX-furniture, can be amazingly memory intensive. If you're on a gorean sim - I'm guessing it was XXX-furniture (though I could be wrong), and showed up on the higher end of the sim's script usage menus.

Another thing to try. It could be that the scripts have been set to "not running", so...

Go to a place where running scripts is allowed.

Rez one of the borked objects.

Right click it and click Edit - the Edit box will open.

Click "Tools" at the top of the viewer (not in the Edit box). "Tools" is at the top of the viewer in a V1 viewer, such as Phoenix. I don't know where it is in the V2 or v3. You need to get the object 'selected'.

Near the bottom of the drop-down Tools list, click "Set Scripts to Running in Selection".

Then close the Edit box and try getting some life out of the object.

If that doesn't work, you could IM me and we could get together on my land where we'll know for sure that scripts can run. We could try things with the objects. It would help if you have voice, or at least be able to hear voice, as I've found that it's much easier to explain the various steps than to type them, but that's not essential.

Try Phil's suggestion it seems the last remaining idea that hasn't been tried.

Just to check all bases here, but open the edit box of the item go to content and check that the scripts and anims are still there.  Also, are you sure it was your landlord?  Have you given any mod/edit permissions to a friend who might have accidently or maliciously deleted the scripts or borked them?

I can't think of a way your landlord could deliberately break/delete the scripts unless the object was rezzed and you enabled group members to modify it or you gave him edit/mod permissions as a friend.  I can't recall a time when somebody has had an object's script disabled by an EM or owner using top scripts disable and it has borked it, but anything can happen I suppose.  In which case you can't blame the landlord that's just SL doing one of its usual screw ups.

thank you all for your replies. finally the creators of my objects where found, they saw the items they said they were all f....... up and the sim owner pretty much admitted that he closed the scripts because the menus of the specific items were too heavy causing lag. any way all the creators were kind to upgrade my items. of course now i am looking for a new land with a trustworthy landowner. or may be a sim of my own.....love you all for helping out!!!!!!

Menus don't cause lag, and there are no such things as "heavy menus".

It's probable that the sim owner stopped the scripts from running. You may have been able to set them running again, but it doesn't matter since you get the items sorted out. Well done.

The sim owner ought to have done it differently, imo.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.