Sign in to follow this  
Seductive Dreamscape

Had a 16 yr old who insisted she was verified on adult land ...

Tonight I had a 16 yr old come to my adult land. She claimed that she had had special dispensation from LL to be allowed on Adult land as she is an emancipated minor . When i asked for proof of this, she logged out. I then banned her from the land, as I did not believe her story. I'm wondering, has LL ever given a 16 yr old ability to be on Adult land, or was she (badly) RPing and did not want to talk OOC?

She may have just been lying. I have no idea why she would tell the truth about her age, then lie about her age verification status, but people are odd that way. You're safest bet was to do exactly what you did - ban her. Especially since she logged out when you asked for proof - that's not a good sign.

I can't imagine LL making such an exception, but I suppose it's possible, if not probable. Still, better to err on the side of caution.

I agree with the other two posters and feel you did the right thing.  Better to be safe then sorry...but I have to ask, what proof did you want her to show?  I mean it's not like LL would give her a letter or something, is it?

I think Linden Lab would laugh just before they tossed the application or whatever this 16 year old presented to them in the trash.  Would the owner of a real life adult club (with full nude strippers) allow this 16 year old in the door......even if that 16 year old presented a piece of paper saying they were emanicipated and therefore should be treated as if the 16 year old was 2 years older than they really were?  I can see the bouncer now..........doubled over with laughter as he tossed the twit in the street.  :)

I believe what the others have said.  She had to be lying.  You did the right thing in banning her.  I would AR her too if I were you!  Dig? 

Peace!

yup she's lying.

Anyone can age-verify on the website now, just by clicking a button saying "yes I am 18 or over". If she's age-verified it just means that she lied on that page.

AR her.

'emancipated' minor does not change one's status regarding most laws. All it does is give a person the ability to be held responsible for -some- contracts they enter into, and to be able to cut their parents out of decisions over their money.

If you had sex with an emancipated minor in RL, you'd still be a sex offender and on your way to a long prison sentence.

Camden McAndrews wrote:

I'm sure the whole thing was a crock.  Just a troll.

In which case the proper AR would be for age-play if the person was engaged in something not G-rated while pretending to be under 18.

Age verification has been less than stringent since it was introduced in SL and at best is a 'take my word for it' arrangement and always will be. Let's face it. Since there is no actual way to be sure who is sitting at that computer screen on the other end without being in the same room with them RL, there is just no way to ever really know unless the person wants you to.

However lax, we may think that verification process is, it's enough to legally 'cover their butts' and bottom line is that avatar did not wind up on a restricted sim without checking all the correct boxes along the way.

I've said before and will say again, the problem is not with the verifiction process but the registration process. There's literally nothing at the gate that ensures that Linden Labs knows exactly who the person is responsible for the account, particularly if it's a free one and has not been linked to a trackable payment source.

Linden Labs is where that point of accountability always needs to start and end, both to ensure our personal privacy as well as to give business owners some confidence that people on adult sims really are adult.

They would really do well to take a page from WoW on this one IMO. In that system, I could play forever with complete anonimity to other players if I chose, and have every right to do so, but one severe rule infraction on any character could have all my characters and entire account banned and deleted.