problem loading second life viewer

loveablebaby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last night it would not let me get to the login page when I used my v2 viewer. It would get stuck on initializing texture cache. I would wait a few minutes and it would do nothing so I tried to restart my computer and do it again but did the same thing. Then i uninstalled it and tried it again but nothing different. I have firestorm so I tried to use that and that viewer worked fine with me. I believe there is something wrong with the second life viewer.

It's always a good idea to post your full system specs in a post like this, might want to follow up with it. 

That said, I'm guessing you run Windows 7(possible 64-bit) with an NVidia graphics card. That's my setup. I have an amazing system capable of running MMOs and brand new games on Ultra, and yet I've been having fits with Second Life for the last two months.

It hangs on texture cache or VFS initialization, and when I'm in world it's a lucky day when I can run on High with even basic shaders on without my graphics card crashing. I've looked into the problem, and from what I'm seeing it's not actually a problem with the viewer, it's a problem with a memory boost application that the NVidia graphics cards are using, which is clanging against something new with the viewers(I'm guessing mesh, but this is where my knowledge gets sketchy). There are other games/environments experiencing similar issues, including Minecraft.

I'd love to tell you there's an easy solution, but there isn't. Always try to manually delete your cache files, do a clean reinstall of the viewer, update your drivers(though some people will suggest using old drivers for the NVidia issue, if that's your card). Google any of those for instructions on how to get it done.

My current solution is to whimper and wait for new drivers and/or an updated viewer release in the hopes someone fixes the issue.

• 1 year later...

I did the manual clears recommendedl, deleted my viewer and reinstalled it clean, rebooted the computer and checked the drivers. It was stuck on initializing VFS but now it is stuck on initializing texture cache which comes first.  I am running windoze 7 I hope I can get some help cos the viewer I am having to use sucks...  LOL

• 4 months later...

loveablebaby wrote:

Last night it would not let me get to the login page when I used my v2 viewer. It would get stuck on initializing texture cache. I would wait a few minutes and it would do nothing so I tried to restart my computer and do it again but did the same thing. Then i uninstalled it and tried it again but nothing different. I have firestorm so I tried to use that and that viewer worked fine with me. I believe there is something wrong with the second life viewer.

V2 viewers are not able to connect to SL anymore

J.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.