Can trying animations break your own?

Simerion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I visited a few animation stores, turning my AO off while testing their dances etc. Sometime along the way I realized that my Avi now had permanently splayed fingers and was stuttering in her poses when operated by my own AO.

Is it possible that I messed up my AO by trying the other animations? I can't imagine it would be, but I have never had the splayed fingers before and I am looking for a way to get rid of them asap.

Thanks for your expertise,

Simerion

It won't mess up your AO or animations, but you can't get "stuck" in an animation or in parts of it.

This is why they added a feature the viewer to stop all animations.

Along the top bar menu:

Me ---> Movement ---> Stop Animating me.

Do that, and then walk forward for a little bit in an area that has scripts enabled to "restart" your AO.

If that fails, remove everything you're wearing. ALL of it, even hair... even the AO. Then put the AO back on. Do this on a M or A rated sim since you'll be nude for the process.

If that fails, delete your cache, and relog:

Control-P (command-P on Mac) to open preferences ---> Advanced tab ---> Clear Cache.

-If- that fails... look for the directory that it said your cache was in, and delete it.

Clearing cache will cause a few things to load a little slower the next time or two you log in, while it builds up a new cache, but then you'll be back to normal.

-IF- all of that fails... repeat it all while in an empty ocean sim with no objects anywhere around. You can find one here, the sime next door to one of my lots:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Laugier/58/61/8

Its handy to landmark a few places in SL that are 100% empty, for days when -EVERYTHING- is going wrong and you need to clean out everything around you.

-IF- that fails, uninstall your viewer, and reinstall it. Sounds crazy, but it is possible. Of course before you get to this step make sure a simple reboot doesn't get the problem first.

FINALLY... as a last resort, you can open a support ticket.

But 99% of the time, the first step in this process fixes it.

The splayed finger thing is a bug that has been in SL for many years.  Once you start paying attention, you'll see that it happens randomly to everyone -- not often enough to be annoying but enough that it's noticeable.  There's not really a thing you can do about it except change poses.  "Stuttering," however, is a fairly new problem.  You may be seeing the bug reported in SH-2031 [PUBLIC] Persistent Viewer 2 Framerate "Stutter".  There's not much you can do about that either, other than waiting for bug fixes that are apparently scheduled for some future upgrade.

Not that it helps you necessarily, but when I build a pose stand my script always include a snippet that identifies and deactivates each animation that is currently in your avatar, so that it won't interfere with the anim in the pose stand itself.  I suspect that many of the good ones in shops do the same thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.