Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Fabeha

wierd message in local chat with each text msg

Question

  • 0

it sounds as if you have Google Translation enabled in your chat.  You can disable that in Preferences or in the Local Chat window

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

it sounds as if you have Google Translation enabled in your chat.  You can disable that in Preferences or in the Local Chat window

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

We're going to be seeing that message a lot more frequently in the weeks ahead.  That's coming from the Google Translate API, which is the basis for the automatic translation system that is built in to most of the current SL viewers.  As you may be aware, Google announced last May that they would be discontinuing free access to their API on December 1, making it only available as a service to clients willing to pay a hefty fee.  It's way too expensive for LL to keep using it.  After December 1, therefore, our translators (and the common translation HUDs in world, like Simbolic and Universal), will no longer work.  In fact, as that date appoaches, the translator is already kicking up error messages under some circumstances.  That's what you are seeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks for the info. That helped, this error message is driving me crazy. In Viewer II I went into my preferences => chat => chat translation setting => and unchecked enable machine translation while chatting. That got rid of the error message. Thanks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hello Mariamne,

 

This problem is annoying. At best is there a chance that there is a way to disable the translation function altogether? Before auto translations I have used google translate in my browser. It was fine then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

But no longer, Neon. The Google Translate API is now only available by paid subscription. If you have a current V3 viewer or Firestorm, the only way you can turn on autotranslate is by including your account number with Google (or Bing) in the appropriate spot in Preferences. If you don't indicate an account number, autotranslate is disabled. Obviously, this option was not in earlier viewers, so people who use them will continue to get the annoying message unless they have disabled autotranslate themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you for following up on this issue.  I figured it out on my own by disabling the translation, but I was originally disappointed when I used support chat and was told that since I was NOT using the SL viewer I was basically on my own.  So I DO appreciate your taking the time to research the issue and get back to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Was driving me nuts too lol only odd thing is I only get this with the latest version of Firestorm , ok can anyone tell me if there is or is going to be a translator for Firestorm/SL that will work after google is removed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That's is hardly news at this point. Google's free Translate API was removed back in December 2011. If you want a built-in translator, you may still use Google Translate, but you have to pay them for a subscription. Then you enter your account number in Preferences in either Firestorm or V3. If you don;t want to pay Google for their translator, you may use Bing's free service to do the same thing, but you still have to subscribe to it and enter your Bing account number in your viewer to make it work. Your only other choice is to use a translator that is NOT built in to your viewer. There are a couple on Marketplace that you can buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Funny that I got the same message when I tried to use a pose ball in my bed!!! What does my bed have to do with translation??

(Translation failed: the parameter 'appId' must contain at least '16' characters Parameter name: appId) ???? Make absolutely NO sense what-so-ever!!! I reset the scripts. I cleared cache and relogged. nothing works, I get the message no matter what I type in local and I NEVER use the translator!!! How does this apply to a bed that I have been using for 3 years and NEVER had a problem until tonight? it all started all of a sudden out of no where!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

It has nothing to do with your poseball. Dunno how you did it, but you turned your translator on in Preferences. Look at Chat >> Chat Translation Settings and be sure to UNcheck the box that says "Enable machine translation when chatting"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks heaps for your post, i followed your advice in the disabling this horrible error message and it works like a charm!!

 

Thanks Again xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

omg thank you soo much i have been seeing that for the past months and it was driving me crazy hehe but i was able to fix it by going to the preference and un clicking the button thank sso much again it worked for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...