blocking a person and or object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are some merchants whom I've purchased an item from on the MP never having set foot in their stores inworld, yet I've been added to their list to send out new product announcements etc. and it's been irrirating me to no end.  I started contacting them, asking to be removed from their lists, and most have been nice about it and have complied.  

I've been pleasant enough with my requests but there are a couple who haven't responded to either IM's or a notecard, so I've tried blocking the merchant and then the object when they come in - but I still continue to get them!  arrrggghhh!  

What am I missing here?  

I can't offer you a solution but I do sympathise with you 100%. I do hope that many merchants may read this thread and understand that it is incredibly rude and irritating to SPAM loyal customers with a barrage of junk "offers" - to be honest, if I was aware that a merchant intended to abuse my custom by thinking that they had some "right" to SPAM me with unwanted mail shots, I would have never offered them my custom in the first place.

Agreed!  What's unfortunate is that despite the fact that some of these merchants have items I really like, I never got to be a loyal customer because I will never purchase from them again. 

I'm also sure to share with my friends to stay away unless they want to have to deal with more spam. It's not surprising the names of certain merchants that are being mentioned with more regularity when the topic of merchant spam arises. Word spreads quickly.  

I had the exact same problem a couple of weeks ago after buying a product.  I logged on the next day to find about 5 msgs from the same merchant advertising products.  I wrote an IM saying that if they continued to spam me then I would never shop with them again so their spam would have the opposite effect of what they wanted.  So far so good.

Most times on retail websites or in world groups you are given an option to opt out or opt in to being mailed info/news. Merchants should adopt the same practice on MP too.

I really don't understand people's reasoning, how they can believe this kind of intrusion will help their sales. It's one thing if I subscribe to something - I've done that before and regretted it, but at least it was by my own action and I was able to undo it by going back and unsubscribing. 

Shouldn't blocking the object and or the person prevent these things from coming to me?  It seems that this has worked for other people, so I'm wondering why I continue to recieve them.  

Inspect the next object coming in to make sure you're blocking all the right names.

- They might be using a spam service, or an alt owned object.

AR all of it.

If you've got a blog, name and shame. Likewise twitter, plurk, etc.

- preferably with a screenshot of the spam, and a screenshot of the offender's profile, and something showing their SL-business brand - hit as hard as you can. :D

i have had this happen a lot..

i was blocking them at first thinking that would stop it then seen it was happening every day still..

i did pretty much what pussycat suggested..make sure you have the right names..

you should be able to click on the object to see the profile..

but also the main name you want is the one that owns the store..once i had gotten the store owners name..the rest of them stopped..

i don't know if they may be using a work around or not nowdays..but i haven't gotten any since then..and make sure the name is in your mute list..

it may not be the one that is highlighted in your mute list..so scroll until you see it..if it isn't there then add them by the add to list option..

but more times than not they are in there..i only had to add to the list by hand one time..

I'm using Firestorm and haven't been able to find "mute" anywhere, is blocking the same as muting?  

ETA: When the product update notecard is sent, I'm given the option to keep, discard, or block. I click "block", then I copy and paste the merchants name in search to find their profile, I check the profile to be sure I've got the person that owns the store, then I block them there, but I continue to get these things sent to me even though I do see their name on my block list.

Maybe I do need to AR them.  I just wanted to be sure I'm not misunderstanding the block function before I do that. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.