Doomed Secondlife

garey Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

is all kinds of good ideas. i quite like reading about them and even imagine things myself sometimes

i quite like to play the "if was me" game. like if i owned sl then i imagine i would do this or that or something else. is quite fun to do that. can also imagine stuff that u know linden not ever going to do anyways. is still fun to do tho and i really like to do that. same reading about other ppls imagines if was me. is pretty cool that

and like u and phil say, is always plenty ppl who imagined it first when linden actual do it. need like about 20 jumbo jets to fit them all in. jejejejejjejee (: is ok that as well really, bc it help build bonds to the world i think. even when is just omg linden actual did something that i been imagining for nearly ever (: 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linden Lab has a great resource for ideas & innovation.....it's existing customers!

There are plenty of passionate SL'ers who want to see Second Life succeed and grow....myself included (lol-kind of hard to imagine when reading my posts attacking LL).

Maybe it would be wise for LL to start tapping into that resource for workable ideas & solutions....instead of taking stabs in the dark, on what they might think will work for SL. (constantly trying to change it's identity or trying to attract different audiences e.g now it's Facebook)

• 6 months later...

"So along with the Art Continent .......i suggested a continent for immersive Gaming (not only for Newbies, but General public could also use).....and another mini-Continent to be a museum of SL best (ex) Sims.....to include the likes of Greenies, Lost Gardens of Apollo, Twin Cities of Romenna, Nemo Trilogy sims etc etc....but without any commerical activities whatsoever."

interesting, I was discussing ideas similar to these a year ago with other artists. I thought I had discovered the answer with the LEA; free sims given over to art for a number of months. Sadly the entire concept has recieved no log-in screen exposure that I have ever seen and consequently the block of sims given over to it are to all intent empty.

To go back to the central theme of the thread, the land tier fees of Second Life are slowly killing it without doubt. We are on the edge of the biggest transformation to the internet in its entire history- fibre optic connection. In the near future the concept of servers and home computers will blur into just machines connected. Sims will run on our own hard drives, and when it happens, Second Life's main source of income will simply collapse. I have to smile at the irony of M.Linden proposing a 70 sim art continent and losing his job. I have a 40 sims to myself on Opensim and am in the process of filing them with art.

One troubling techo meme that does the rounds on here is causes of lag. The usual suspects quoted, the evil 1024 textures and scripts (presumably hidden in shoe laces) is quite frankly off the mark. Nine 512 textures are a bigger headache than a single 1024 one. The biggest and fatal error LL committed at the start, was to impose 10m limits to prims and at the same time allow avatars to be adorned with prims with no upper limit.

I used to work in video games and I can tell you with no hesitation it is the complexity of avatars that cause the lag. Imagine a prim, hollowed out to reveal a small core, then textured with a 512 metal texture, to produce a small open ring. Then repeat it 400 times. Then place all of them on an object that is being ordered to follow a motion capture animation dance script.

Then repat once more, to make a secong necklace string. Then repeat for bracelets.

Then repeat with hair locks, hundreds and hundreds of them. All following that motion capture in real time, all textured. 

Then do it with shoes, with sculpt maps.

Then do it to another 30 women, all moving independently in one dance sim.

Now imagine you are the graphics processor on a lap top, trying to keep track of all that. An xbox 360 never has to deal with such insane levels of primitives jumping around at once. I think the lesson asking people to test their copyright knowledge needs to be expanded by a graphics design lecturer.

• 2 years later...

Bumping 3 year old thread. So proud of myself.

I was one of SL content creation gods, but I left SL and moved to Unity3D game development. So here's my 2 cents:

C# and Increased Script Memory limit.

LL had plans for it, but both projects was abandoned. So SL will always be a newbie gamedev playground from creator's perspective. These severe limitations are keeping creators away from developing big-scale projects.

Linden Lab. Pretend we give a sh*t, since 2003.

• 5 months later...

SL will never lose tier. When you speak of tier, you also have to think of apartments, clubs, hangouts, etc. Pretty much everyone in SL wants at least one of these things, and as long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. Many residents just use their own money to pay tier on a little 4096 plot, or a little aparment. That's all the tier market that SL really needs. Trust me, it adds up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.