Doomed Secondlife

garey Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil, I like your analysis. Very cogent. It explains the puzzling behavior of LL with respect to land and the market place and LL attempts to achieve direct delivery from one's inventory. What is your analysis concerning the other puzzling behavior of LL? I don't understand what they hope to accomplish by copying the wall feature from Facebook. Is that just a desperation move from a company that believes it has painted itself into a financial corner and cannot see a way out? In addition, why did they eliminate display names? Just a miscalculation on their part that it would help better integrate SL with Facebook?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randall Ahren wrote:

I don't understand what they hope to accomplish by copying the wall feature from Facebook. Is that just a desperation move from a company that believes it has painted itself into a financial corner and cannot see a way out?

I think you need to turn it around slightly.  From what I understand about the popularity of Facebook are the endless little addon MMO games it now features.  This whole genre of social networks is now branching out to encompass anything that can be used on the platform.  Therefore, LL is coming at it from the other end of the spectrum as it were to entice those who like a little MMO gaming/VW with some social interaction and tempt them into SL.

I'm a bit out of touch, so... have they really done away with display names?

I think your word "desperate" is along the right lines. Probably not quite a measure of desperation, but, because the active population hasn't grown for years (it's been in a slow decline), they've been looking at tapping into the popularity of social networks (hence display names to match up with Facebook) so adding something to accommodate "followers" and such, to appeal to social networkers, does make sense. It's an attempt to become appealing to a wider set of people and grow the active population.

I don't think it will work. In fact, I think it's the wrong sort of thing to do to increase the active population. I think that Second Life itself needs to be made more appealing. The Linden Homes was a good measure (apart from it negatively affecting landlords), but it isn't enough. They had a go at improving the new arrival experience but I don't think they improved it - just jiggled it a bit. They could get the new arrival experience much better but they don't seem to know how, or they don't want to do what it takes. But it's mainly Second Life itself that could do with some great improvements to make it more attractive.

Thank you and you also Sy. I intended to write last names, not display names. Display names are still around. I have a message posted to Rhett Linden asking some of these questions. He hasn't replied, so I used that inbox feature available with our profiles and repeated my questions to him again.

I don't get this Facebook wall at all or why that would make SL more appealing to anyone. It just seems stupid. Ketchup is good with fries, but I don't want ketchup on sushi. Facebook is like French fries, it appeals to a wide audience. SL is more like sushi, not everyone can appreciate it and adding ketchup to it won't help.

Mayalily wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

You can't actually upload prims, Maya. You only upload textures. (You can also upload animations and other stuff, but sculptmaps are textures, and meshes are similar)

With sculpties, the texture is the sculptmap, which turns a prim into the required sculpty shape according to the map (sculptmap), and it costs the same to upload as any other texture - 10L. You can get a lot more "shapely" objects onto a parcel by using sculpty objects, because sculpties are used to create nice shapes without needing to use extra normal prims to achieve the same nice shape. Also, you can use 1 sculpty prim for several object parts. I use 1 sculpty prim for all my furniture that has 4 legs, for instance - 4 legs/feet but only 1 prim.

LL charges more to upload meshes. I've forgotten how much because they've never interested me. Mesh objects are treated differently. A mesh object may be created using just 1 prim, but it's counted as a lot more prims for the land. For instance, mesh is no good for low prim furniture (my business) because a piece of existing low prim furniture that uses, say, 5 or 6 prims (sculpties and/or normal prims, or both), would count for a *lot* more prims than that if it were made using 1 prim and mesh, so you could fit fewer objects on the parcel.

I'm not sure what you're driving at but, if your landlady told you 1L per prim, then that'll be the rental cost to you, and has nothing to do with uploads or tier costs.

LL have been steadfast in not changing the tier structure or the cost of tier, presumably because they'd run the risk of not recovering what they would initially lose, and tier is the mainstay of their income. People often want tier to be reduced, but it would be a huge risk to LL's income, which they may never recover. For a long time, I've had a different idea, which is to have more tier levels - smaller jumps in land and tier costs. Tier isn't bad at the low levels but, when you reach, say, 32k of land, then the next step is 64k - a large increase in cost. After 64k, it's 128k and, after that, it's 256k, each with huge cost increases. If they stuck some more levels in between, it would encourage people to go up in small levels.

In both cases, it would initially drastically reduce LL's tier income, and, understandably, they are very reluctant to take the risk, especially since it can't be known whether or not the initial loss would be recovered and even more profits from tier would result due to higher land ownership..

Okay, thanks Phil, that explains some things to me. 

I also looked at another rental sim yesterday and the rents were so inexpensive, it got me to thinking how are they making their tier with these low rentals?  It was a nice rental sim with lots of cute houses, and I didn't see any empty and they are hardly charging anything for it and you get a lot of prims compared to what I've seen others charge for rentals.  Anyhow, I do wonder how they make their tier?

However, with sculpties, less land impact, that would mean LL could have more land.  The more land you have, you create a glut.  When a glut happens, the price should go down.

I wish LL would break up the land so people could afford a small island.  Why do these sims have to be so big and shared like that?  Is it because of the servers and LL doesn't have enough to break up the land like that?  I think more people would buy land if they didn't have to pay a profit to a resident for part of
their
sim.

As far as LL losing part of their profit, well that happens in a Great Recession as this one has been called.  You either create a new business model that people are willing to pay and can afford, or you fold and lose all your profit. 

when i moved into my land i was paying 512 a week for a 512 meter lot..which was double prim lot..i think i am at 426 a week now with the same amount of prims as when i started..only now i have 2 1024 that are double primed..

i believe LL gives a regular 137 prims on a 512 lot..so i'm at like 274 i think per 512 which has me just over 1k in prims all together..

it's gonna vary from place to place..

Phil Deakins wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

ralph Alderton wrote:

If Linden Lab want to seriously increase their revenue lowering tier is essential.

It's only people who don't believe in SL's potential and future who say that tier is the right price.

Tier is currently set at the wrong price, that's why SL is stagnating.

LL should let anyone buy a HS without a full sim, lower tier and watch SL boom again.

If LL halved tier costs they'd sell tons of sims and more than double their money.

High tier costs are strangling and suffocating the whole ecosystem.

It's all about the land.

I completely agree with this, Phil.  If Linden Lab would get rid of the ridiculous $1,000US set up fee and halve the tier costs, many more people would buy sims and start paying tier.  As has been said once in this thread already, "I'd much rather sell 100 at $10L than 1 at $1,000L." 

:)

I don't say that the current tier prices are right. I'm only saying that reducing them substantially would be a huge risk for LL.

I completely agree about homesteads. I can't come up with any reason for LL not to sell them to anyone who wants one. Perhaps it's to do with not wanting to get on the wrong side of mega-barons.

I also agree about the setup fee. A small setup fee would be reasonable, but $1000 is taking the p..s. It used to be $1750!

Would that large estate that you mentioned still be there if the tier was halved? I don't think so. Tier dictates rents. If tier is high, rents are high. If tier is low, rents are low. What can't happen is tier to be halved and rents stay the same. It can't happen because land owners have to compete for tenants, so all land owners would have to bring their rents down to compete and stay alive. With halved rents, that estate owner could make the same profit as with normal rents, so I think the reason the estate is no longer there is probably due to the fierce competition in that market, and not being willing to continue for a relatively small profit. LL bringing out Linden Homes was bad for that market, and may have had something to do with the estate's demise.

ETA:

The phrase was, "I'd rather sell 11 at 100L than 1 at 1000L" - not 100 at 10L which equals 1 at 1000L I'd rather sell 1 at 1000L than 100 at 10L because there'd be much less in the way of customer service to do

Yeah, I messed THAT quote up didn't I?  /me laughs.  Sorry.  The estate was called Irukandji and it went away before the Linden Homes came about. 

ralph Alderton wrote:

If Linden Lab want to seriously increase their revenue lowering tier is essential.

It's only people who don't believe in SL's potential and future who say that tier is the right price.

Tier is currently set at the wrong price, that's why SL is stagnating.

LL should let anyone buy a HS without a full sim, lower tier and watch SL boom again.

If LL halved tier costs they'd sell tons of sims and more than double their money.

High tier costs are strangling and suffocating the whole ecosystem.

It's all about the land.

I'd agree with this, except why not 1/4 sims or small private islands?  I would like some land that I could afford, but I am priced out and I am sure so are many.  If they had small islands where say a customer could have a home and a club plus some rental stalls, why not?  Or a small island with a home and a store front, why not?  Or a small island for their breedables, why not?

As far as the $1000 start up cost, yes they should do away with that as this global economy is not excepted to rebound until 2020... so that's a long, long time.  I read an article that said for this Christmas people are going to be spending cash for their Christmas.  People do not have confidence in the economy to put items on credit and risk ruining their credit.  Ebay did away with upfront costs for a long time.  You only had to pay the fees IF the item sold.  (I currently don't know what's going on with Ebay now, as I haven't wanted to sell in a buyer's market.)  Anyhow, how about small islands and LL gets smaller tiers on those or on 1/4 sims, plus some commision on whatever sells as far as inworld stores or stalls on these smaller islands.  Or, they could lower the tiers and get commissions on what sells?  

I know this last paragraph might sound confusing, but I'm asking why not small islands where we could do what we what --have a home, a small business (club or store or vendor stalls or breedables) and LL gets commission of what sells? 

I'd like to see an example of this "small island" where "a customer could have a home and a club plus some rental stalls", Maya. :) It sounds a bit bigger than a small island in terms of prims.

The idea of LL charging less tier and taking a commission on sales sounds interesting but it would be no good from LL's point of view. Everyone would rush to get these small islands, put some token stuff up for sale, and sell nothing because (a) they just threw some lousy stuff together for the token, so nobody would want to buy it, and (b) the number of shops in SL would go up by an order of magnitude, all looking for a slice of the pie, so slices would be drasticvally reduced and even the low tier couldn't be earned from sales, and © loads of existing land owners would dump their land to get one of these low tier isalnds, so LL would well out of pocket.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'd like to see an example of this "
small island
" where "
a customer could have a home and a club plus some rental stalls
", Maya.
It sounds a bit bigger than a small island in terms of prims.

The idea of LL charging less tier and taking a commission on sales sounds interesting but it would be no good from LL's point of view. Everyone would rush to get these small islands, put some token stuff up for sale, and sell nothing because (a) they just threw some lousy stuff together for the token, so nobody would want to buy it, and (b) the number of shops in SL would go up by an order of magnitude, all looking for a slice of the pie, so slices would be drasticvally reduced and even the low tier couldn't be earned from sales, and © loads of existing land owners would dump their land to get one of these low tier isalnds, so LL would well out of pocket.

Well, not a lot of rental stalls.  Also, a lot of clubs are about the size of my kitchen in my SL house.  My rental house is huge with 2-bedrooms, is 2-story and it's 400 lindens a week.  Anyhow, most clubs are about the size of my kitchen.  My house could be the size of at least 2 1/2 clubs.

Anyhow, if LL created some smaller places with no tier and just commision, it's better than letting the land sit there doing nothing.  I think they would or could possibly make more if they went just comission only rather than tier, but that would depend on what people are willing to sell their items for, as the lower priced seller's would most likely sell more.  I suggested some rental stalls also as I don't create anything, but if I had a Faery themed small island sim, I would seek out Fairy, Goth, Emo designer's to vendor on my sim.  I'd ask the best vendors with the best prices in the theme of the sim to be vendors, or learn blender one of these days.  What I'm proposing is what Ebay did -- no fees UNLESS the item sells.  So vendors wouldn't be out anything; they would pay a comission as their items sell. 

The fun of SL is in being able to create and/or build, if they price us out or take that away, people bore of SL too fast, and that's probably the No.1 reason they lose customers, as they are priced out of the creation of SL, which is a HUGE part of the fun.  I know, I'm going through a lull with SL.  It gets to be the same ol same ol when you can't create or build or look forward to anything creative.   What do people do when they are priced out of a SL "dream" they would like to create?  Most likely they leave because all the creative control is in other's hands, as well as the music choices in other's hands. 

Where would these sellers come from to populate the rental stalls? They would all have their own small islands, trying to get people to occupy their stalls.

SL isn't anything like eBay. eBay is all about people selling stuff. If they do other things, they are extras. SL is about land - not sales. LL is about renting land and anything more that they do are extras - L$ exchange, marketplace. They would be very foolish to change from land to sales commissions, and they won't do it.

I agree that SL becomes boring for many, perhaps most, people after a while, and creators are no different in that respect, so don't imagine that the ability to create stuff fends off the boredom. It doesn't. I've been creating stuff since my first week in SL, and I set up a store to sell my stuff some months later. Before the store, I rented out skyboxes. Not long after I set up the store, I had an extremely profitable SL business, making thousands of US$ every month. Within days of me joining SL, I had plenty of stuff to occupy and interest me, but it didn't prevent me from getting bored with SL after a while. Maybe the business caused it to take longer before the boredom set in, but it still happened.

The problem with SL is that it doesn't include anything for people to do - no gameplay, no tasks, nothing to aim at achieving, nothing. Everyone just makes of it what they can, but the system doesn't incorporate anything for people to actually do. Small islands with very low tier costs wouldn't change that. It would still be a place where everyone has to find things to do on their own because the system still wouldn't include anything.

People can and do find things that are absorbing for a while. The creating that you mentioned is one such thing, but you don't need small islands with low tier to do that. If you're getting to feel bored with SL, and you think that being able to create would relieve it, then get stuck in. You said that you are priced out of creating, but you're not. There's nothing difficult about it, and there's the marketplace to sell things, so there is no need of land, except a tiny spot to place the magic box, and I'm sure that a few L$ rent a week could get a spot somewhere.

If you're not looking to sell what you create, there are sandboxes to do the creating. If you don't like sandboxes, maybe you have a friend who will allow you to create on his/her land. Or, if you are a premium member, you get 512m free of tier, and free of the purchase cost if you create in the free Linden Home, and there are premium-only sandboxes now. The ongoing cost of land does not price anyone out of being a creator.

Whilst LL may have got the tier fees wrong for the current financial climate, I honestly think that many of the people who want tier to be drastically reduced, as a measure to ensure that SL continues, actually want it reduced so that *they* can afford more land. For instance, and please forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I actually think that your small island with low, or no, tier idea is something that you would like for yourself, and not really a proposal to LL to help the survival of SL.

LL may actually reduce the tier, or do something with it. They are trying things to improve their income and/or increase the active population. They recently offered new islands with no setup fee, which is normally US$1000, and they are offering discounts on premium membership fees. They see their need, and they are trying things. They may even try doing something with tier, and releasing Homesteads to all who want them is not beyond the realms of possibility. (I really don't know why they don't do that). In fact, a homestead island might be right up your street - they are full size islands, with low tier, but only accommodating a quarter(?) of the prims of a full island.

They'd certainly get a lot of flack from all landowners, and especially those who paid for one or more whole sims. But even more than that, they would kill the rental business at a stroke, which would mean most of the private islands being handed back, which in turn would mean a loss of most of LL's tier income. In other words, the SL sky really would fall.

Phil Deakins wrote:

...The problem with SL is that it doesn't include anything for people to do - no gameplay, no tasks, nothing to aim at achieving, nothing. Everyone just makes of it what they can, but the system doesn't incorporate anything for people to actually do. Small islands with very low tier costs wouldn't change that. It would still be a place where everyone has to find things to do on their own because the system still wouldn't include anything...

...Whilst LL may have got the tier fees wrong for the current financial climate, I honestly think that many of the people who want tier to be drastically reduced, as a measure to ensure that SL continues, actually want it reduced so that *they* can afford more land....

Those are two interesting points you raise Phil.  The first one I've never considered about SL even though it's the basis of nearly every other MMO/RPG e.g.. World of Warcraft and others of the same ilk, whereby the developers are always having to add new task orientated content to keep their userbase engaged.  Usually when I get bored I will start to learn a new SL skill or a related offline one to support my interests in SL.  For the people who like to just socialise or those who have a full SL skillbase though there is no other option to explore unless it's to go to new nightclubs, find new friends or take up the life of the nomad and trek through all the lands of SL looking for something new.

What that magic new content may be I don't know than to suggest copying the pattern of other MMOs and producing task and reward orientated content, which I know will go down like a bucket of sh*t  with some here.

As regards your second point above about land there maybe some truth in that.  I'd like to relate though a recent experience of mine.  I traveled over the road to InWorldz to look at the possibility of land owning and building over there.  What is striking over there is the comparative pricing.  Less than a third of the price of an SL mainland sim and well over twice as many prims for the same sized area.  Given the recent call for a lowering of tier in SL, of which I've been one to aid the economy, then you would think that IW should have a booming economy.  Far from it, there are many, many people there offering FREE rental to get any kind of presence (especially merchants) on their land and there is no MP to restrain land acquisition by merchants/creators.  Their forum boards have pretty much the same flavour as here with merchants/creators decrying the slide in sales.  So land pricing can't be seen as a magic bullet or a general panacea for all SL's ills, other factors such as, RL economy, steep learning curve for first time users and a stagnating population growth all have to be considered too.

Sy Beck wrote:

I find it a delicious irony that in an internet age where irl people shop more and more online that in SL, a prime example of living a life online, people are requesting that others travel to shops inworld rather than do the SL equivalent of shopping online via MP.

P.S.  I agree with them though.  :smileywink:

As I go around SL (I prefer shopping inworld), I find stores I used to shop at a lot have disappeared, malls close down and I miss them all.  I might use the Marketplace to search for an item, but I go to the sellers inworld store to purchase (if they have an inworld store).  I see it over and over.  Inworld stores shutting down because more and more people only use the Marketplace (where the merchant incurs a fee) and the merchants can no longer afford the rental cost of their property. 

So, yes, I would prefer that customers shop at the inworld stores so that the inworld merchant business doesn't disappear completely.  That would be a sad sad day when there are no more stores to go shop at inside Second Life. 

I remember shopping in a great store called Prim Goddess.  It was a massive store with fantastic artwork & furniture!  They even had an overhead tram system set up that one could get in and ride to the different departments.  I used go there a LOT.  Not anymore though.  It is gone.  Warehouse Plaza is gone, and so many others. 

At the bottom of it all, I don't want to see the inworld store business going away.  If we encourage all people to just shop the Marketplace, that's exactly what will happen. 

@Sy

I would think that a Task & Reward scheme would go down well enough, but quite what sort of tasks they could be, I've no idea. It would good to have tasks and monetary rewards for new arrivals, that would help them to learn how to use SL. But straight away I envisaged all the new alt accounts being created for the money :) I've really no idea what sort of Task & Reward things would work.

Perhaps the nature of SL itself simply doesn't lend itself to incorporating things to do.

I had a look in InWorldz once, but it was a long time ago. I did know about the low cost of land and tier, and the extra prims. The extra prims only look good when compared to SL, but whether or not their sims can actually support all the prims being used in normal ways, without severely lagging or crashing, I don't know. It's easy to enter any number (max prims) into the system data, but there is a limit to the number of rezzed prims, with goodness knows how many textures, without severely impacting the system. More is not necessarily better.

I imagine the low cost of land there merely reflects the small number of landowners - a carrot. And I imagine that, if landownership increases a lot, the system owners will find that they aren't taking enough in tier to support the necessary hardware systems, and prices will need to go up a lot. Apart from infrastucture, prices will go up a lot there when they have enough people.

It's interesting to know that the low land prices and high prim numbers aren't producing a utopia for IW users. It may be due to something I said in an earlier post - that we get used to things, and something new, such as LL halving the cost of tier, would be great to begin with but we'd soon get used to it as the norm, and we would then revert to all the other reasons why we don't own as much land as we'd like - why we need to keep our tier payments down. If LL halved the tier, I would think that the amount of land owned would increase initially, but would then slowly fall back to not being too much more than it was before the cut. After a while, I don't think we'd be buying extra parcels because the tier is cheap. It wouldn't be - it would have become the norm - and I think we'd only be buying the land we need. LL would have cut their tier income in half, and wouldn't recover much of it.

There is another option, a far, far darker one.  It would entail the first online avatar cleansing programme.  LL would forcibly eject all avatars from sparsely owned lands and relocate them into higher owned density lands and then destroy their previous homelands for good, wiping it from the face of the virtual world; an inverse lebensraum as it were.  

This would then start to bring a more economic ratio of population to available land.  As the political maxim goes though, "It's easier not to give people something they want than to take away something they have.".

P.S. To the dim of thinking, this is of course tongue in cheek.

Phil Deakins wrote:

They'd certainly get a lot of flack from all landowners, and especially those who paid for one or more whole sims. But even more than that, they would kill the rental business at a stroke, which would mean most of the private islands being handed back, which in turn would mean a loss of most of LL's tier income. In other words, the SL sky really would fall.

God, yes. Hadn't even thought of the rental aspect.

Sy Beck wrote:

There is another option, a far, far darker one.  It would entail the first online avatar cleansing programme.  LL would forcibly eject all avatars from sparsely owned lands and relocate them into higher owned density lands and then destroy their previous homelands for good, wiping it from the face of the virtual world; an inverse 
lebensraum
as it were.  

This would then start to bring a more economic ratio of population to available land.  As the political maxim goes though, "
It's easier not to give people something they want than to take away something they have.
".

P.S. To the dim of thinking, this is of course tongue in cheek.

Duh...what's tongue in cheek?

signed,

Really
Dim

After being in , which was a wondeful universe in 2007, its with musch sadness that I close my account today.

The reasons are, that, when I joined sl in 2007, It was a very differant place to what it is today.

Main problems why I leave:

The Clubs I used to dance and make Lindens,have  all but gone, finding people to tip you 500L like they used to do, is like gold dust.

The Teen grid being merged, was one of the most idiotic things LL ever did, over night, many of the urban combat sims

were not able to control the teens, who not abide by the rules, that we, as adults respected and took our punisment on the nose itf it was warrented. Most of the urban combat sims, including new ones like nasturtuim, closed in weeks, because it was impossible for the owners to control.

So the shemale clubs, the urban sims have declined so much, so in 2008 began learning Aviation, flying and making things. I owned 3 airports, flew Blakes seas, when it was possible, and became an ATC for a time.   In 2010 I was having serious trouble with my snowglobe viewer, and my old xp computor, could not run the laden phoenix or dolphin viewer, I started losing items, crashing, not rezzing at  around christmas of 2011.

But I wanted to build properly, so I invested in an expensive win7 computor and upgraded it with a higher end supported  nvidea graphic card. Im already on cable internet. I purchased 3 new 3D programs costing a lot of money to create , and mainly learn how to build Aircraft.  I also needed a homestead  another 65k sim to work in.

To my disapointment, the new computor made ZERO differance to how The viewer worked, which was dolphin, as it was made with vehicle improvements with better crossings in mind.  however, Even when I was told that sim crossings had improved since LL did some work only a few weeks ago, I flew 4 aircaft 1 helipcopter  and one Cigar cruiser through 3 sims near Acknefar oceans, in Blakes seas, ALL 6 vehicles failed to cross just 3 sims out  within 40 mins.

then we have the Millionare land owners, asking 175,000L$ for a tiny piece of land near by, boasting "sail and Fly 160  sims". What a joke!!

I don't think Linden labs, are living in the real world for a long time. Do they know the Eurozone crisis, the  middle east  problems is getting deeper every day, did they know, the United kingdom where I live has austerity measures and cuts in benefits pensions, plus an 11% rise in our heating bills? Not to mention paying about 16US$ A GALLON for diesal fuel, for our cars? Is LL aware there teen audience in the UK of 18-24 year olds without jobs, is now 1Million 120thousand!!!

In 2011 I expect lesser crashes and a stable platform, which is now the norm in many new and even older MMORG games, who have continued to evolve harware and servers  , to satisfy the discerning player, who for a reasonable price, requires a stable game play, what ever it is.    If LL canot support Such a platform, which continually fails every day, year out year in, it should go completely.

As one poster says, Second life is now a out of date lumbering dinosaur, and for me, the activities I used to enjoyed are being whittled away at an alarming rate. I would love my own sim to own out right, but How can LL possibly justify the price of 1000US$, in a time, where basic items to be able to live, in most countries, especially in the EEC are almost trebling every 3 months.

Friends, of whom I used to have many,   have already deserted the sinking ship last year, im annoyed I bought a brand new computor to get better performance out of second life, and I wasted my money, because Linden labs know there sinking fast, and, wont invest in new techonolgy.     My usual market place item purchases and land tiers spend per annum, in 2009 was around 100,000L$. In 2010 that had fallen to 65,000L$. This year, because I need to pay a lease on my mobilty scooter, from jan 2011 to today 24th Nov 2011 has been a mere 30,000L$.

After I leave, I will have left behind 36000 items, 15000 of them, I have no use for them, as the activities I used a lot for,  has long gone. In a way,i feel ripped off by LL, by giving them £1000 since 2007, with little chance of making, what was advertized at the time, BIG MONEY. I hardly made any money, even when I had some stores in shemale clubs, i just covered the rent. One reason Im also leaving, but is pertinent, is the tragic loss , due to a car accident. of my dear Aviation friend Toni Silverweb. She also, spent huge amounts of money within the Aviaion community, also she had quite a few sims that were joined up, and had many aircraft and combat items, the loss of her in second life was very profound to me, and LL has lost a very long term user/ paying customer, so with me leaving as well, the combined loss to LL of income in the year 2012 will be at least 300,000L$ alone, because, Second life, is now the domain of mutilple sim owners, and, is now only a playground for the rich, NOT the poor or the low paid working class, who want to do more than walk empty sims....  I close now and wish all my friends god speed, and I say RIP Toni, and RIP SL, because its nearing its useful end.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I come across many creators, saying they have put prices down in line with the world recession and other problems,  But in Aviation , Creators have actually INCREASED there prices, when once a I could by a certain plane for 3,500L$, 12 months ago, that same aircaft has shot up to 4,500L$.

I wanted to buy a certain new jetliner today, before I realised, if i can't fly it, because of the Sim crossings being so , so bad, why should I invest the 6000L$ the creator wants for it?   

If second life worked properly, then I would still be here tommorow, and would have bought the plane, but there is so much more going on here that is, not just about profits, sim prices and the rest, its also about the constant failings of the platform to actually work like its supposed to, So , again, this is not just about not affording sims. i migrated to WOW some time ago, and was astounded by the lack of lag, the rich rendering and lots of great things to do, and a vast world, which I havent hardly touched even though im level 36.  For £8.99 a month, I know im getting value for money, which I'm not here any longer.

If i went and opened another airport, in Blakes seas, if people can't fly to it, because their plane keeps going offworld, then how am i supposed to rent out several hangers and parking spaces, and cover my costs? So, its not just about prices, its also the poor reliabilty of second life, that is contributing to it downfall.  Pheonix and dolphin viewers are almost unusable to players on XP computors now, especially with old AGP graphic cards. I upgraded my old xp computor last year to a 1gig one, which cost me nearly £100, and all I got all over the screen, was sharp pieces of colour, huge blank textures, that you couldnt see anything through. I had to return to Snowglobe. (see my previous post)   This is another point LL fails to grasp.    Many people are having to hold on to there old computors, cos they just can't afford new ones,  I used to get a new one every 2 years, but thats out of the question now... it needs electricity to run them, which the price tarrifs  by some electric companys in the UK its  nothing short of scandelous. The win7 one I have now, although, as I have said, does not stop the crashes, or boats and planes ending up on the sea floor when crossing sims anyway, will have to last at least 5 years, before im in another position to buy another one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.