Sign in to follow this  
Loki Eliot

example of 'mimicking' a Cell Shading effect using Mesh

I have been working on mimiking Cell Shading techniques using blender. The technique is a bit flaky and involves turning the mesh inside out using morroring. I originally thought it would be a simple process of reversing normals, but this does not seem to be the case.

Didn't you see the video? That looks like cell shading, whether it's how it's done for movies or not.....

I won't get involved in a discussion about a word, all I can say it looks great Loki...especially the first one in the vid.

I got that outline effect on my giga pudding model.

Snapshot_001.png

What I did in Blender 2.59 is in object mode, Shift+D to duplicate the model, right-click to place the model at its original location, TAB into edit mode, press A to select all vertices, then go to the left panel (T to open) and select shrink/fatten. Fatten to desired outline thickness. Press W to open the specials menu and flip normals. Go to the right panel (N to open) and under Display, make sure textured solid is checked. The outline effect should now be visible and now there's just the matter of coloring how ever you want.

EDIT: AND YES I KNOW MY GIGA PUDDI MODEL IS IP INFRINGEMENT. This was just- ...um... an upload test. Yeah, that's it. :matte-motes-dont-cry:

• Like 2

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Didn't you see the video? That looks like cell shading, whether it's how it's done for movies or not.....

I won't get involved in a discussion about a word, all I can say it looks great Loki...especially the first one in the vid.

I've been hesitant to reply since you say you don't want to argue about it and I don't want to either. However I think this quote from the wikipedia page sums it up.

"Popularly, this "ink" outline applied to animation and games is what’s called cel shading, while originally the term referred to the shading technique, regardless of whether outline is being applied or not."

It's called cel shading, not object outlining. It's a technique for lighting objects in a in a non physically accurate manor for artistic reasons.

Thanks again for the awesome advice. With the simple instructions i was able to create some awesome cartoony version of my clothes. Would love to make full on 2D avatars with this, the possibilities and style could be amazing! 

• Like 1

Dude, that's awesome!  Nice job, easily the best cell shading I've seen in SL yet.  The lines are so clean, and just the right thickness.  Most impressive.

You've inspired me.  I have to do a toon avatar now.

• Like 1

Thanks to Drago Artful's tips it has ended up being surprisingly easy. Next year i wonna make an intire Cell shaded environment. With mesh, style builds has become endless. !