It's Tradition!

Hippie Bowman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a couple sets of traditions. For Thanksgiving, I go along with my family to where ever the required get-together is (my parents house, this year) and we have Traditional turkey, stuffing, rolls, and all sorts of stuff.

For Christmas, I have two. As a pagan, I celebrate Yule, and I stay up all night on longest night of the year to observe the sunrise in the morning. But then, as a part of a mostly Christian family, we do the typical Christmas tree decorating a week or two after Thanksgiving, have ham and other woderful foods on Christmas Day, go to late services at the church on Christmas Eve, give gifts, etc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salila Wytchwood wrote:

I have a couple sets of traditions. For Thanksgiving, I go along with my family to where ever the required get-together is (my parents house, this year) and we have Traditional turkey, stuffing, rolls, and all sorts of stuff.

For Christmas, I have two. As a pagan, I celebrate Yule, and I stay up all night on longest night of the year to observe the sunrise in the morning. But then, as a part of a mostly Christian family, we do the typical Christmas tree decorating a week or two after Thanksgiving, have ham and other woderful foods on Christmas Day, go to late services at the church on Christmas Eve, give gifts, etc.

That is great Salila!  Great traditions huh?

Peace!

Okay - our tradition is a non-tradition - sort of.  2 or 3 days before Thanksgiving we all shout out on Facebook , through email and phone calls, "Who wants to host this year?  Any volunteers?"  Someone always steps forward and says something to the effect of, "Fine, I guess I'll do it."  The rest of us show up with the side dishes and desserts.  We are such a family of planners - lol.  Come to think of it, it sort of works like that for Christmas dinner as well...  I love my family - we are flexible and will adapt quickly to any situation.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Okay - our tradition is a non-tradition - sort of.  2 or 3 days before Thanksgiving we all shout out on Facebook , through email and phone calls, "Who wants to host this year?  Any volunteers?"  Someone always steps forward and says something to the effect of, "Fine, I guess I'll do it."  The rest of us show up with the side dishes and desserts.  We are such a family of planners - lol.  Come to think of it, it sort of works like that for Christmas dinner as well...  I love my family - we are flexible and will adapt quickly to any situation.

Nice tradition Cinn!  Sounds like that works well for your family!  Happy Holidays to you and yours Cinn!

Peace!

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Any more traditions out there?  Your posts are welcome!

Peace!

This year my partner and I will be hosting an xmas party at our place for 14 of our closest friends. The event planning kicked off beginning of september, because (1) we will cook and prepare everything ourselves (2) most of the couples need hotel because they come from different countries (3) my partner Reuler she flies back from the USA and will be home at noon time the saterday (yummy yes.. but she will have to sleep for a few hours). To avoid that we would be spending most of the time in the kitchen, we managed to get someone in to help us out throughout the day and the evening, otherwise we would loose contact with our guests!

we always start the evening with a very long reception style appetizer menu with cold and hot choices and champagne or cocktails;

fresh oysters, various cheeses, melon with parma, spicy shrimps, sardines, quiche and much more ...

a cold starter (+ white wine: Pino Grigio - Italy);

a seafood cocktail in a large bowl with nordsea shrimps, salmon, scallops, tomato, egg, salad and pink whisky sauce

main meal (+ red wine: Rioja Reserva - Spain);

pork fillet with a peppercorn sauce, gratinated brussels sprout, green beans rolled in crispy bacon and potato croquettes

dessert (+ coffee or tea)

xmas cake with lots of creme and chocolate

after all this we just chill out and have cozy long talks till everyone goes back to the hotel.

(/me looks really forward to this and so happy we will see our closest friends back after such a long time ...... :matte-motes-inlove:)

*meows*

Wildcat Furse wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Any more traditions out there?  Your posts are welcome!

Peace!

This year my partner and I will be hosting an xmas party at our place for 14 of our closest friends. The event planning kicked off beginning of September, because (1) we will cook and prepare everything ourselves (2) most of the couples need hotel because they come from different countries (3) my partner Reuler she flies back from the USA and will be home at noon time the Saturday (yummy yes.. But she will have to sleep for a few hours). To avoid that we would be spending most of the time in the kitchen, we managed to get someone in to help us out throughout the day and the evening, otherwise we would loose contact with our guests!

We always start the evening with a very long reception style appetizer menu with cold and hot choices and champagne or cocktails;

fresh oysters, various cheeses, melon with parma, spicy shrimps, sardines, quiche and much more

A cold starter (+ white wine: Pino Grigio - Italy);

a seafood cocktail in a large bowl with nordsea shrimps, salmon, scallops, tomato, egg, salad and pink whisky sauce

main meal (+ red wine: Rioja Reserva - Spain);

pork fillet with a peppercorn sauce, gratinated brussels sprout, green beans rolled in crispy bacon and potato croquettes

dessert (+ coffee or tea)

xmas cake with lots of creme and chocolate

after all this we just chill out and have cozy long talks till everyone goes back to the hotel.

(/me looks really forward to this and so happy we will see our closest friends back after such a long time ...... :matte-motes-inlove:)

*meows*

Oh Wildcat!  I was salivating through that whole read!  Family. Friends. Food. Drink. And togetherness, sure makes the holidays warm huh? /me wipes his drooling lips on a paper towel.

Peace!

Peace!

jennylongview Innovia wrote:

Good morning hippie... Happy Mondays all.. I am renting a cabin in the Blue Ridge mountains for me and my black lab.. No laptops no tv.. hopefully a little snow would do..

Happy holidays to all, be safe and stay well

That is so cool Jenny!  Wishing you ard yours a great holiday season!

Peace!

I finally thought of a family tradition.  As I previously stated, we are not planners.  Everything is thrown together at the last minute and has always worked out great.  We do, however, have one tradition that is the same every year.  It happens to be our tree.  It starts out as a normal Christmas tree with all the typical decorations - colorful lights and balls, icicles, 12-days of Christmas ornaments, apples, pickles and pink flamingos (that's what everyone uses, right?)  BUT...  It is not completed until the end of the month.  Everyday a few new things are added.  We might wake up in the morning to find a stuffed animal, fishing lure, cat collar, internet memes(decorated, of course), faux flowers, beads or whatever random object we like at the moment (I think I remember finding a gold spray-painted sock one year.)  By the end of the month you can barely tell there is a tree underneath.  I LOVE this about my family and I hope my kids will continue it with their own families someday.  The other tradition is that we never use the same tree topper.  It is always hand-made by someone in the family.  This years tree-topper was designed by my oldest daughter.  I will attach a picture of the tree as it stands now, and, if I remember to, I will attach another picture of what it becomes by the end of the month.

Cinn

124_0767b.JPG

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

I finally thought of a family tradition.  As I previously stated, we are not planners.  Everything is thrown together at the last minute and has always worked out great.  We do, however, have one tradition that is the same every year.  It happens to be our tree.  It starts out as a normal Christmas tree with all the typical decorations - colorful lights and balls, icicles, 12-days of Christmas ornaments, apples, pickles and pink flamingos (that's what everyone uses, right?)  BUT...  It is not completed until the end of the month.  Everyday a few new things are added.  We might wake up in the morning to find a stuffed animal, fishing lure, cat collar, internet memes(decorated, of course), faux flowers, beads or whatever random object we like at the moment (I think I remember finding a gold spray-painted sock one year.)  By the end of the month you can barely tell there is a tree underneath.  I LOVE this about my family and I hope my kids will continue it with their own families someday.  The other tradition is that we never use the same tree topper.  It is always hand-made by someone in the family.  This years tree-topper was designed by my oldest daughter.  I will attach a picture of the tree as it stands now, and, if I remember to, I will attach another picture of what it becomes by the end of the month.

Cinn

124_0767b.JPG

Oh that is so cool and far out!  What a great tradition!  Warm holiday greeting to you and yours Cinn!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.