It's Tradition!

Hippie Bowman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI everyone!  The holidays are upon us, and I was thinking about traditions.  My traditions, and my lady's traditions.  For me, as thanksgiving approaches here in the states, it is very simple.  Thanksgiving day is spent at one of my sons homes.  This year, it is number two son.  This makes LadySue very happy, as she does not have to go all out, making the traditional "Thanksgiving" feast.  Of course, she will cook a smaller version of the feast, perhaps a turkey breast, and all the trimmings so we can have leftovers.

thanksgiving feast.jpeg

Then comes Christmas.  Very simple again.  I will get home from work on Christmas eve day, and most likely, not leave the house until it is time to go back to work.  We open our presents on Christmas eve, as all of our children have grown up, and we do not have to go through the charade of Santa Claus coming and leaving the presents under the tree, to be opened on Christmas morning.  We will have a very simple diner on Christmas eve.  A Polish ham, and it don't even have to be heated up, and a simple potato salad, that is made from potatoes, celery, mayonnaise, and that's it!  Then I will settle down, next to the woman I love so much, and bask in the warmth, of hearth, and home, and our togetherness!  You see, it is tradition.  My traditions, and her tradition, that become our traditions!  Dig?  Groovy!

hearth.jpg

How about all of you good people!  Any traditions you would like to share here.  Old traditions?  New traditions?  Your posts are welcome!

Peace!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like traditions at all. And christmas for me is the worst of all. So every year around this time I start to moan when people around me start to live up when they mention all the good stuff about christmas. One part I don't like about it is that it is more like an eat festival on family scale. So every year i try to think of something more simple to cook and eat then the year before. This year it will be 'Zuurkool met worst' (Sauerkraut with some not so well to define sausage). And I cook it the day before since it is much tastier to bake it the next day in a frying pan. Yummie.

Well there are more reasons I don't like christmas but I'll keep them for myself. And all the arguments about being together with family and so on..well..I can do that any time of year!

To think of it, the above looks like it is my tradition. Dang! :smileyvery-happy:

zuurkool1.jpg

Six Igaly wrote:

I don't like traditions at all. And christmas for me is the worst of all. So every year around this time I start to moan when people around me start to live up when they mention all the good stuff about christmas. One part I don't like about it is that it is more like an eat festival on family scale. So every year i try to think of something more simple to cook and eat then the year before. This year it will be 'Zuurkool met worst' (Sauerkraut with some not so well to define sausage). And I cook it the day before since it is much tastier to bake it the next day in a frying pan. Yummie.

Well there are more reasons I don't like christmas but I'll keep them for myself. And all the arguments about being together with family and so on..well..I can do that any time of year!

To think of it, the above looks like it is my tradition. Dang! :smileyvery-happy:

zuurkool1.jpg

Thanks for the post Six!  That looks good!  And when you cook it the day before, it soaks up all the flavor huh?  YUM!  Yes, looks like you do have a tradition!

Peace!

My tradition at Thanksgiving is to go to my relative's house and enjoy a meal with family. I'm thankful that I don't have to cook! Whenever I have a lot of food to choose from I always pick a small amount of each, eat, and then get seconds of whatever I enjoyed most. On Christmas I make gift baskets with whatever strange giftable food I can find at stores, like bottles of hot sauce, wedges of cheese, pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, etc.There is usually a large get together on Christmas as well with much of the same people I see on Thanksgiving. I love this time of year. Everything gets so festive.

Although I don't care too much about all this, ii truly feel the things you mention are true. It is nice to have a great family and be together with them. But for me it seems this is a MUST for a lot of people just because! And the christmas spirit (what ever that is) is certainly not stuffing yourself (not saying you do) and buy the most expensive gifts. Commerce wants us to. The one and only thing i really do like about christmas is that my two kids are free from school and we have breakfast together every day without having to rush.

Six Igaly wrote:

Absolutely, it soakes it all up and it reveals when frying it :smileywink:

And yes I do have one in the end. It is just something like telling over and over again where ever you are you don't have a habbit LOL

Good stuff and far out!  Those traditions have a way of sneaking up on us huh?  Thanks!

Peace!

Bree Giffen wrote:

My tradition at Thanksgiving is to go to my relative's house and enjoy a meal with family. I'm thankful that I don't have to cook! Whenever I have a lot of food to choose from I always pick a small amount of each, eat, and then get seconds of whatever I enjoyed most. On Christmas I make gift baskets with whatever strange giftable food I can find at stores, like bottles of hot sauce, wedges of cheese, pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, etc.There is usually a large get together on Christmas as well with much of the same people I see on Thanksgiving. I love this time of year. Everything gets so festive.

OH yes!  Sounds like great fun!  It is my favorite time of the year too!  Oh chocolate covered anything is great! Thanks for your post!

Peace!

Six Igaly wrote:

Although I don't care too much about all this, ii truly feel the things you mention are true. It is nice to have a great family and be together with them. But for me it seems this is a MUST for a lot of people just because! And the christmas spirit (what ever that is) is certainly not stuffing yourself (not saying you do) and buy the most expensive gifts. Commerce wants us to. The one and only thing i really do like about christmas is that my two kids are free from school and we have breakfast together every day without having to rush.

OH yes!  Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull once said.  "The Christmas Spirit, is not what you drink!"  So true!

Here is the song with that quote!

Peace!

My tradition starts with my best friend coming over to spend the day making every kind of fattening chocolaty goodness we can think of to pass out to everyone we know. And of course rumballs (the most requested holiday goodie lol).  Or maybe it starts with my sisters and I waking up at ungodly hours for black friday sales hunting, one of the only times we get to go shopping together without hoards of skirt clingers our kids.

We have the usual rounds of family dinners, but on christmas day  I cook a ham (turkeys are beyond my abilities^^) and all the trimmings for my son, my dad, and whoever else wants to drop in.

Santa stopped being real to my son realy young, one of the tragedies of preschool. After our Is Santa real? talk the year before last, I ended with "I guess if you look under the tree and find a present that isnt from me or your dad or anyone else we know, you'll know who its from.." His response  "Jesus?!?"   LOL I wasnt about to throw Jesus out to let santa in, so we went with that ^^

Thanksgiving is still pretty traditional around our house.  Turkey/ham, southern style cornbread dressing with plenty of sage, home baked bread or rolls, several pumpkin pies, cranberry dressing. 

However, come Christmas time we started doing different ethnic foods each year.  One year it was Indian with multiple curries and fresh baked naan with eggplant dishes.  One year we made Greek with oven roasted potatoes, fresh made pita bread, gyro meat (made from fresh ground beef and lamb and cooked on a spit over the grill) and tzatziki (that wonderful sauce made from yogurt).  Chinese food is a favorite, as are Thai and Vietnamese.  One year it was sort of French with steak au poivre (rib eyes smothered with coarse pepper and seared in olive oil) with a red wine reduction from the drippings and fresh baked bread.  I just love to cook. 

Some of the standards though at Christmas is the eggnog.  I make about 2-1/2 gallons of eggnog from scratch, seasoned with Brandy, Whiskey and Rum.  Then there is Rum cake made with a bundt pan, pudding mix in the recipe, and smothered with a sweet rum sauce till its almost soggy (YUM!).  Another favorite drink is Glogg, a mulled wine using many spices, served warm with raisins and a shot of vodka for those cold nights.  We do a few gifts, mainly for the kids, but the food and family is what I love. 

This year we are all scattered out though, and the celebrations will be quite a bit less festive. 

We are not so into this kind of traditions.... Thanksgiving we really don't know over here. And Christmas is for me as none-believer just a holiday and not more then that. Sure, we will have a Christmas tree... but that will be more because of Yule then of Christmans :P

So we take the time and spend the holidays in a nice hotel on one of the islands above The Netherlands.

I'm in charge of side dishes at my family gatherings.  I basically volunteered for it to ensure I have something to eat since I generally don't eat meat and don't eat livestock at all.  Nahm nahm nahm.

vegetarian-thanksgiving-400x400.jpg

This year I also bought the turkey and will be helping to cook it even though I'm not eating it.  I wanted to support this small farm that raises Heritage Turkeys on open pastured land so even though it cost a lot more than the turkeys at the grocery store, to me it's a worthy cause.  Pasture raised Heritage Turkeys, which is what people ate before the CAFO industry  selectively breeded turkeys to produce the poor turkeys we have today raised almost exclusively on corn product, are significantly different in taste and texture and the cooking time is different from CAFO turkeys

I saw this vegan "turkey" for sale at Whole Foods.  Hmmm maybe I can ween my family on to it....ah well I guess I can dream. :smileytongue:

vegan turkey-big.jpg

thankfulturkeys.jpg

UncommonTruth wrote:

My tradition starts with my best friend coming over to spend the day making every kind of fattening chocolaty goodness we can think of to pass out to everyone we know. And of course rumballs (the most requested holiday goodie lol).  Or maybe it starts with my sisters and I waking up at ungodly hours for black friday sales hunting, one of the only times we get to go shopping together without
hoards of skirt clingers
our kids.

We have the usual rounds of family dinners, but on christmas day  I cook a ham (turkeys are beyond my abilities^^) and all the trimmings for my son, my dad, and whoever else wants to drop in.

Santa stopped being real to my son realy young, one of the tragedies of preschool. After our
Is Santa real?
talk the year before last, I ended with "I guess if you look under the tree and find a present that isnt from me or your dad or anyone else we know, you'll know who its from.." His response  "Jesus?!?"   LOL I wasnt about to throw Jesus out to let santa in, so we went with that ^^

Oh that is so good!  Thank you for sharing your Tradition here!

Peace!

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Thanksgiving is still pretty traditional around our house.  Turkey/ham, southern style cornbread dressing with plenty of sage, home baked bread or rolls, several pumpkin pies, cranberry dressing. 

However, come Christmas time we started doing different ethnic foods each year.  One year it was Indian with multiple curries and fresh baked naan with eggplant dishes.  One year we made Greek with oven roasted potatoes, fresh made pita bread, gyro meat (made from fresh ground beef and lamb and cooked on a spit over the grill) and tzatziki (that wonderful sauce made from yogurt).  Chinese food is a favorite, as are Thai and Vietnamese.  One year it was sort of French with steak au poivre (rib eyes smothered with coarse pepper and seared in olive oil) with a red wine reduction from the drippings and fresh baked bread.  I just love to cook. 

Some of the standards though at Christmas is the eggnog.  I make about 2-1/2 gallons of eggnog from scratch, seasoned with Brandy, Whiskey and Rum.  Then there is Rum cake made with a bundt pan, pudding mix in the recipe, and smothered with a sweet rum sauce till its almost soggy (YUM!).  Another favorite drink is Glogg, a mulled wine using many spices, served warm with raisins and a shot of vodka for those cold nights.  We do a few gifts, mainly for the kids, but the food and family is what I love. 

This year we are all scattered out though, and the celebrations will be quite a bit less festive. 

Wow that all sounds so good Kenbro!  Thanks for sharing your Traditions here!

Peace!

Morwen Bunin wrote:

We are not so into this kind of traditions.... Thanksgiving we really don't know over here. And Christmas is for me as none-believer just a holiday and not more then that. Sure, we will have a Christmas tree... but that will be more because of Yule then of Christmans
:P

So we take the time and spend the holidays in a nice hotel on one of the islands above The Netherlands.

Oh away for Christmas!  That sounds like fun!  Thanks for sharing here Morwen!

Peace!

Dagmar Heideman wrote:

I'm in charge of side dishes at my family gatherings.  I basically volunteered for it to ensure I have something to eat since I generally don't eat meat and don't eat livestock at all.  Nahm nahm nahm.

vegetarian-thanksgiving-400x400.jpg

This year I also bought the turkey and will be helping to cook it even though I'm not eating it.  I wanted to support this small farm that raises Heritage Turkeys on open pastured land so even though it cost a lot more than the turkeys at the grocery store, to me it's a worthy cause.  Pasture raised Heritage Turkeys, which is what people ate before the CAFO industry  selectively breeded turkeys to produce the poor turkeys we have today raised almost exclusively on corn product, are significantly different in taste and texture and the cooking time is different from CAFO turkeys

I saw this vegan "turkey" for sale at Whole Foods.  Hmmm maybe I can ween my family on to it....ah well I guess I can dream. :smileytongue:

vegan turkey-big.jpg

thankfulturkeys.jpg

That is great Dagmar!  Yeah, hard to get off eating meat.  I bet it is alot more healthy!  Thanks for sharing!

Peace!

being in a mexican/american home, we celebrate thanksgiving in a traditional way, dad is the expert in making the turkey stuffing, so he wants to do it every time, he knows, we are the helpers, we make some pies, different flavors, apple, pecan, pumpkin and other flavors that we come out with, cranberrie, and some sides like corn and green beans. we remember why this day is celebrated, is because the pilgrims when they came to America didnt know the new land so much, so they were starving, the indians rescue them and this day is to be remembred as a thank you for their generosity, and show us that we have to be thankful.

we celebrate Christmas in a mix of traditions, we got the tree with the gifts, and some turkey, and also some tamales, which is a mexican traditional food, we recieve family and friends over and share our experiences together, we had a great time!

happy thanksgiving and merry christmas! :)

Not to be Debbie Downer but sadly, our family tradition was always to go to a relative's house who is now too elderly to host it, and with the TSA being part of travel I haven't been to see family in years now.

I am hoping next year will be the start of a new tradition and things will change for the better as much as we can.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

being in a mexican/american home, we celebrate thanksgiving in a traditional way, dad is the expert in making the turkey stuffing, so he wants to do it every time, he knows, we are the helpers, we make some pies, different flavors, apple, pecan, pumpkin and other flavors that we come out with, cranberrie, and some sides like corn and green beans. we remember why this day is celebrated, is because the pilgrims when they came to America didnt know the new land so much, so they were starving, the indians rescue them and this day is to be remembred as a thank you for their generosity, and show us that we have to be thankful.

we celebrate Christmas in a mix of traditions, we got the tree with the gifts, and some turkey, and also some tamales, which is a mexican traditional food, we recieve family and friends over and share our experiences together, we had a great time!

happy thanksgiving and merry christmas!
:)

Oh Canoro!  Looks like you have some great traditions!  Thanks for sharing!

Peace!

Melita Magic wrote:

Not to be Debbie Downer but sadly, our family tradition was always to go to a relative's house who is now too elderly to host it, and with the TSA being part of travel I haven't been to see family in years now.

I am hoping next year will be the start of a new tradition and things will change for the better as much as we can.

Melita Magic wrote:

Awwww!  I hope you have a great holiday Melita, and that you will start some new traditions soon!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.