I have new nVidia GeForce 9800 GT card, and SL keeps booting me after a random # of minutes. (Again)

Felix Colinsgrove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My computer was recently repaired with a new motherboard, and a nVidia GeForce 9800 GT video card. Now I am getting kicked back to my desktop, sometimes after an hour of being in SL, sometimes after 15 seconds. Might be a problem with settings on the graphics card, but I am not sure what the proper settings should be.

It only seems to happen with virtual worlds, like Second Life. I have checked out the heat issue on the video card, and it is fine. I have also deleted all my chat and IM logs, but that made no difference.

I have a feeling that it is a settings conflict, but I have no idea about how to resolve it.

12 answers to this question

Hello Felix. Your graphics card is good enough to run SL without problems. Try to clear your cache manually (out of SL and having the viewer closed).

1) Delete all contests at the following folders (for Windows Vista of 7. If your OS is different please post back here editing for your post (Options --> Edit) let us know about:

• C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife and
  • C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

Notes:

• Usually the folder Appdata is a hidden folder. (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)
  • If you want to keep your private conversations which are saved in your computer, copy the folder with your nickname to another position in your hard disk. The folder is: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife \ felix_colinsgrove
  • If you have more than 1 viewers installed you must to do the same with all, following the same paths in your hard disk. For example: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

2)Restart your computer and try to log in a quiet sim. Smith (or Lime or Pooley) is a protected land which is recommended.

(About Windows paths: C:\ = Your hard disk, you find it if you open "My computer". Where you see backslash, follows a folder into the previous one)

3)If you don't fix the problem this way, then obviously is relative with your inventet connection. Log out, power down your modem / router leting it closed for at least 2-3 mins. Restart your computer, power on, log in again. If still the problem remains, contact your ISP in real to confirm if there is a problem with your line and if so, ask for support.

Good luck.

Your 9800GT card is new to you but it's not a new graphics card.  I had the 9800GTX+ in a computer that I replaced about a year and a half ago........the card failed when I installed it in this computer (however I'm pretty sure it was my fault because I had a difficult time removing if from the older computer and most likely broke something on the printed circuit board).  The 9800 card is not known for heat issues.....if you keep it fairly dust free it will run at 80 Cesius or below when using SL for long periods of time.  You might be onto something when you mentioned the graphics settings you can set using the nVidia control panel.....I had some issues with the card after I messed with some of the settings (specifically changing the 3D graphics from "allow program control" to "let the card over ride control"  I wasn't crashing to desktop but I think I randomly  had huge texture lag spikes (such as some textures never rezzing for me even after hours).  I set the card setting back to default and only set the overall settings to quality instead of performance............the card worked beautifully after that for a couple years before I broke it.  Also the card is PCI express and for the card to work properly it must have a separate connection from your power supply.  It will work without that connection but it'll not perform at the level it is capable of........also the on card fan will not work (and that could cause a heat problem when using SL or any graphics intensive program).  The power supply requirement for the card is 450 watts.......if your power supply is not at least 400 watts that could be the problem too.

And last, but not least, go to nVidia's driver download site ( http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us ).  Search for your card with your operating system and download the latest driver to your hard drive (don't run or install it from the website).  Close all your open applications and uninstall the driver you have installed now for your card.  After the required restart to complete the uninstall process you'll get a "found new hardware" pop up with Windows wanting to search for and install another driver.....close the box (don't let Windows do that).  Install the driver from your download that you saved to your hard drive.  After the required restart for the installation to complete you'll be on the new driver.  Try SL again.

This is not technically an answer, but a providing of further info. I am simply trying to be of assistance since this is all very frustrating. 

Felix's problems have only occured since the installation of both a new motherboard and a new video card. These problems were not evident before the change in hardware. He has a 750w PSU that has been vetted as fine. All drivers for both motherboard and graphics card have been updated to the most recent versions. Cache has been cleared several times with no effect on the situation. He is also running Windows XP 64-bit and not Windows 7, so Win7 file system links will not help. 

I doubt it is the internet connection as I am at the same location, on the same router/modem/ISP, and I have no issues like his. There are no other issues with other programs accessing the internet.

The system has been checked over by an independent tech and all is in working order. Graphics card is not over heating, CPU is not overheating, all systems are functioning normally. 

@Chesye:

Try going here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

That is the Beta driver and older driver list for the 9800GT on a Windows XP x64 system.  Try downloading a couple drivers that are a couple months old (maybe up to 6 months).  Pick a couple or three and save to your computer's hard drive.  Using the method I outlined in my first post try installing them one at a time trying SL after each.....until you find one that works.  You do not need the latest driver.....you need one that works (I'm using a driver for my GTS250 card that has a release date of June, 2010 without issues.  The GTS250 card is the rebranded 9800GTS). 

The 9800 card is very capable of running SL at high settings without issues and only a lttle texture lag at ultra.  I keep my draw distance at 256 meters for almost all my SL ventures..........your card will run SL quite well.  However, the 9800 series is at least 3 years old (closer to 4).  The card installed in your computer may not "new".......meaning it may be a reverbished card or even a used card (it could be damaged and the cause of the problems).

ETA:  I would stay away for the Beta drivers and stick with the WHQL drivers.

@Peggy

If Second Life is currently the only program that is having difficulty and it is doing it across several TPVs as well as the most recent LL viewer, would the drivers really be an issue? No other programs are crashing like this for Felix. 

I'm a little leery of backdating drivers for -one- program, but will keep it in mind, thank you. 

"@Peggy

If Second Life is currently the only program that is having difficulty and it is doing it across several TPVs as well as the most recent LL viewer, would the drivers really be an issue? No other programs are crashing like this for Felix.

I'm a little leery of backdating drivers for -one- program, but will keep it in mind, thank you."

---------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question, yes SL could be the only program having this issue and it could be driver related.  SL is very likely the only OpenGL, 3D graphics program you run on your computer..........and that will make a difference if the driver has some issues with OpenGL support ,and, though I have not experienced any problems myself, there have been reports of the newest driver for nVidia cards having some OpenGL problems.

You can do what you are comfortable with about "back dating" your driver.  And you'll never no if it's a driver issue or not.  I suppose you can wait for a newer driver from nVidia to be released and install it........hopefully regaining the OpenGL support that nVidia may have lost temporarily.  Updating to new drivers simply because they are released causes many problems for people unnecessarily.  Believe me..........experience talking here.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Hmmm.... This looks like the same question you posted yesterday (http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/I-have-new-nVidia-GeForce-9800-GT-card-and-SL-keeps-booting-me/qaq-p/1231021), so I'm guessing that you have ruled out the possibility of overheating that I suggested.  If that's the case, and if you have also checked to be sure that your router isn't giving you trouble -- to test, bypsss it and plug your computer directly into the modem for a while -- then Peggy's guess about the drivers sounds like the best bet.  For what it's worth, I am still using the 6.14.12.5896 driver on my GeForce 9800 GT card and it works just fine.

Peggy, I wasn't disbelieving you, I just said I was wary of doing so and said 'Thank you.' quite honestly. :) Please recognize this and don't think I'm tossing your suggestions out some window.

I just had to reconcile that your first post said to get the latest drivers and then said not to, so I was trying to put the two together and figure out the best solution for Felix. I'm more tech-capable than he is right now so I was taking care of providing more info. :) 

The most recent driver of any kind we found was October of this year. If necessary we'll go back to the ones from August, then from June, etc. I simply wanted to thank you for offering help even if I was wary of how well it will work. It's a bit late here to go trying a lot of this so it will get lined up for tomorrow.

Rolig: Yes, this is as similar post from yesterday. Being relatively unfamiliar with the Answers forum, figuring out how to reply to one's own post has been a bit tricky for Felix. Yes, overheating has been ruled out. 

Yeah, this Answers area is a bear to figure out. Not much we can do about it. I wasn't chiding you or Felix, BTW, just checking, to verify. You might try that driver that I referred to, though. I have rather deliberately not upgraded since that one, since I know that I have been getting good service from it on the 9800 card. Incidentally, I didn't realize it when I bought the card, but it is rated at a much higher FPS than many newer cards. I regularly get 60 FPS and higher.

I'm writing an update on this issue for anyone that's has helped so far. 

At this point, per other issues others have had with SL similar to Felix' problem, he has rolled his nVidia graphics drivers back quite a bit. He is still being kicked out of SL to the desktop at random intervals. No driver rollback so far has helped. He is not receiving responses on the nVidia forums to his problem so I have no input there. 

If there is anyone that can suggest something else to try we would be happy to hear it, otherwise he's looking at giving up on Second Life over one technical issue. :( 

i had this same problem and people where giving me the same answers as you are getting...which were all wrong.

turns out my 400 watt power supply was to blame.

i upgraded to a 450wt or 500wt and now computer no longer randomly boots me from SL. or anyother game.

even if you have a 450tt power supply or greater change it cause it may be faulty or poorly built.

Your necropost is over two years late, so nobody will see it. You make a good point, though. If your machine is underpowered, you're starving the GPU, so you can expect irregular behavior. I still have an NVidia 9800GT card in my desktop, but I have a 550 watt power supply. No problems here at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.