Scottish themed destinations

Urbanacious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Fellow Residents

I'm a retired guy from Edinburgh and have been on SL for a couple of weeks. I have heard there are places where Scottish and Gaelic folk music is performed but having perused the Destination Guide I can't see any obvious venues. I would really like to find places where the chat is stimulating, Scottish themes would be particularly welcome, and where I could listen to good Scots folk music. Being retired I can log on throughout the day so lunchtime sessions would also be welcome. I would also be interested in hearing about any roleplaying sites with a Caledonian flavour and what the roleplay actually entails.

SL has been pretty good so far but tghis would be the icing on the cake. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to receiving your input.

Urbanacious

Hi and welcome,

I can't think of anywhere but it's not really my field, I just thought if you decided to set something up yourself, my English friends and I would be happy to come and crush you rebellious Scotts on a regular basis.

P.S. will there be any oil we can steal?, we are really skint right now.  

Thanks for your very amusing reply Ziggy, I believe my forefathers were true to the Jacobite cause so no doubt they were brutally slain by the Redcoats, though what Butlins amusement staff were doing at Culloden beats me! I think Alec Salmond is relying on the oil to persuade us that being independent is a good idea so if you could make sure you don't steal too much!

Thanks again for your response

Thanks Ziggy, that sounds very promising and is still one of the great reasons why people visit Scotland. Perhaps if he'd  made an appearance at Culloden like John Hurt's dragon character in "Merlin" we might have done a bit better!

Thanks again for hylour help

Urbanacious wrote: I would also be interested in hearing about any roleplaying sites with a Caledonian flavour and what the roleplay actually entails.

I have heard rumours of a damage enabled sim with two pubs on it, one decorated in blue and one in green, where the roleplayers would congregate, drinking pints of heavy with scotch chasers until throwing out time when they attacked each other outside armed only with drinking glasses and broken bottles - until a third set of rpers turned up in uniform and stuffed them into Black Marias. Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

I have always put it down to the screeching and wailing of bagpipes interfering with the normal working of the brain.

Rudi

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Try searching both Catalyst and the Loch Ness Inn, both of which have live DJs on a daily basis. If you can't find them let me know and I'll search for links for you.

Great folks from Scotland run the sim they are on.

Have fun!

Kinnaird

• 3 months later...

American, myself, not quite to the wonderous land of retirement and sure like to play Irish and Scottish tunes with some bluegrass thrown in.  Not Celtic myself English/Germans but wife is Scotch Irish a fiery one.

Been in 2L very llightly for about four months now.  Have any luck with find this sort of music on 2L.  

Must be more to 2L than a bunch of avitars standing around spewing pick-up lines from the 70's or some sort of babble

zapado wrote:

Must be more to 2L than a bunch of avitars standing around spewing pick-up lines from the 70's or some sort of babble

There is a LOT more to SL than this.  If this is all you've run into so far, your hanging out in the wrong places and need to get out and explore more.  There is a very vibrant live music scene in SL featuring live performances by some very talented people that perform in a wide range of genres..  You can search for them in EVENTS under live music. 

A quick search cetic music under events turned up 17 listings for celtic music starting at 6pm SLT today.  There are two events left for today and six tomorrow with the rest of them running from 6/2 to 6/25. However events can be posted up to 24 hours in advance of the time, so a daily check will probably turn up a lot more within that time frame, as what is showing now are just the events posted early.

Another search for 'scottish' places, turned up 165 listings.

A third search for 'scottish' groups turned up 116 of them.

There is plenty of Scotland in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.