Only Experienced Roleplayers need Apply

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The owners and group members of these RP sims may consider themselves friendly and welcoming, but the truth of the matter is that they only wish to interface with those of their own kind; in other words, experienced veteran roleplayers.

It should be mandatory that every RP sim should post a sign in their landing zones with the words, "ONLY EXPERIENCED ROLEPLAYERS NEED APPLY." 

I have nothing against roleplaying itself.  I encourage any medium that allows anyone to excersize their creativity and allows who share the same interest and passion to interact amongst themselves, but those who are inexperienced or have no knowledge about roleplay will not be tolerated, or just simply ignored. 

Yes, a few sims make the claim that they are newcomer friendly and even offer mentoring to those who are interested, but even that is a misrepresentation because none of these people want to deal with anyone who doesn't have a single clue as to what roleplay is all about.  For whatever reason, this is a afront to them personally and an unwanted intrusion on their precious roleplay.

Please, to anyone who is even remotely interested in getting involved in Roleplay, do yourself a favor...don't bother.  These people don't want you.  You're more than welcome to visit, explore, and maybe, if you're lucky, stand and watch a scene being played out if you're lucky enough to come across one, but over all just turn around and go back to where you came.  It will save alot of headaches for yourself and for the GMs responsible for enforcing the rules and keeping the peace.

To paraphrase an old saying, "Roleplay Sims...nice enough to visit, but no one wants you living here."

Just my opinion, take it anyway you will 

I'll leave it too.  What you say is not true.  Maybe you've run into a few places that are like this, but that doesn't mean all are. 

Consider that most roleplayers are there to roleplay - not to teach you how to do it.  If you are interested but don't have any experience, you may want to take a class on roleplay.  There are some around.  It would be nice to find one on the specific roleplay your interested in , but if you don't have a clue, any that teach you basic roleplay techniques and emoting will do for a start. 

Your other option is to go too an interesting role play sim and spend a lot of time learning from observation. Get and read all background material they offer and follow the rules.  Don't try to join in  until you are confident you know what your doing because it can ruin it for the other players. Don't expect to get the choicest roles either right off the bat.  Start small and humble, be respectful and wear something appropriate for the roleplay even if you are not actively involved or are only observing. 

Contact the owner or other roleplay official to find out when the sim is most active.

If you want to ask questions, be polite.  Do it by IM and tell them they can reply when they are OCC, then be patient.  A little patience and taking care not to interrupt on going roleplay will get your further.  If someone doesn't seem interested in teaching you or answering questions, then don't press the issue.  Try someone else.  Showing a willingness to learn in a polite and respectful manner may even get you a mentor who will take the time to teach you the ropes.

Tell us what kind of roleplay you are interested in and some people may be able to give you more specific advice and information about where to go for classes or how to go about learning and joining the roleplay.  You'll find there are many people here on the forums that can help you.

You've brought up some interesting points and I do agree with some of them.  These roleplay sims were created to be used and enjoyed by the experienced roleplayer, which is the very point of my posting.  Each and every RP sim (sorry, but I do have to generalize here) are only interested in recruiting experienced roleplayers which is why I suggested, in all seriousness, a sign be posted in every landing zone that the only people welcomed and wanted here are those who know how to roleplay.

Take a class?  A good suggestion but a bad one nonetheless.  No RPer wants to deal or associate with a novice much less want to waste their value playing time teaching them anything.  Keeping the contamination of newbies, wanna-bes, and amateurs out the sims has always been the number one priority of the RP community.  The last thing anyone wants is to encourage these people to visit in the first place.

Visit a roleplay sim and spend alot of time learning from observation?  Sorry, but I've tried that before and do you know what I observed?  Nothing.  I saw avis standing in pairs, or huddled in small groups, or gathered in the local tavern or nightclub, or lounging about in the town square doing absolutely nothing.  No speaking, no emoting, not even a random passing thought.  Maybe, depending on somebody's mood or the time of day, you may catch some combat taking place in the street, or possibly a conversation taking place between two strangers in a pub, but that's about it.  I'm standing off to the side with my "observer" tag and watching no roleplay taking place at all.  It sounds like a good idea, but it's really a tremendous waste of time.

If I want to ask questions, be polite...Do it in IM and tell them they can reply when they are OCC...take care not to interrupt a scene...I am familiar with the numerous rules and regulations regarding non-interference by visitors and observers, but I really have a hard time accepting the idea that the end result is really worth jumping through all these hoops.  You've mentioned that if someone doesn't seem interested in teaching you or answering questions, the issue shouldn't be pressed.  Well, guess what, that pretty much covers every RPer in SL (yes, I have indeed generalized again).

The underlying point behind my original posting was my problem with this idea that certain RP sims promote themselves as being open, friendly, and welcoming to everyone when, in truth, it's really not the case at all.  Not everyone is welcome and it should be stated as so.  I have a few suggestions that would save many people alot of time, energy and headaches and make the whole RP experience enjoyable for everyone.  They are as follows:

1.)  Every RP sim listed in Search should state in their profiles that only experienced veteran roleplayers are welcomed.

2.)  The owners of every sim should restrict access to only those members of the community or group of that particular    sim.  If you are not a member, you can't get in...simple as that.

3.)  If there happens to be someone who does show promise of becoming a member, have that person "sponsored" by an older member.  Put this promising recruit under a probationary period of three to six months, and make sure his/her sponsor is with them at all times whenever they are in the sim.  After their probation is up, and they are deemed a worthwhile addition to the community, they can be given full membership rights.  If they don't pass, then the community is spared the anguish of having to deal with a subpar player and free from his/her poisionous taint.

Some places good while others are bad?  Maybe...but I've yet to come across the good ones.

We are not just for experienced roleplayers.

The only real rule we have is avatar appearance related.

Our sim does not relate to your story here.

Noobs are welcome.

In the last 3 years we've only had 1 roleplay related class in our sim.

You will learn plenty from observation, most people chat in public, we don't have observer tags, we just have people.

We don't have scenes that can't be interrupted, we generally don't have scenes or scripts as all, things happen as they do.

There are no non-interference rules, we even warn people that whatever story they think of, they should realise anyone can get involved, including the police.
That's realism for you.

As long as you wear 1920s clothing, have a realistic avatar and don't break some of the basic rules (no guns, etc), everyone IS welcome.

"1.)  Every RP sim listed in Search should state in their profiles that only experienced veteran roleplayers are welcomed."

Unless that is not the case.

"2.)  The owners of every sim should restrict access to only those members of the community or group of that particular    sim.  If you are not a member, you can't get in...simple as that."

Some do, but we actually like new people visiting who are not in the group.

"3.)  If there happens to be someone who does show promise of becoming a member, have that person "sponsored" by an older member.  Put this promising recruit under a probationary period of three to six months, and make sure his/her sponsor is with them at all times whenever they are in the sim.  After their probation is up, and they are deemed a worthwhile addition to the community, they can be given full membership rights.  If they don't pass, then the community is spared the anguish of having to deal with a subpar player and free from his/her poisionous taint."

So much fuss!

We rather just have people come along and enjoy their visit.

I wrote a long post that amounted to an explanation of how you can get people to RP with you, and a rant about why I hate SL RP, but of course the magic of SL forums failed to post this and instead decided to fail to autosave my entire post... which just seems so typical of things these days.

I've RPed in endless sims over 3-4 years, including: Toxian City, Eerie Isle, Realm of Terabithia, Ragallach (now defunct), Everwind (defunct), Mystara, Llorkh, Golgothica (defunct), Legacies, Perdition, Mugen Kuppuku, Midian City, The Crack Den, numerous Gorean sims, and god knows how many other locations. I've also admin'd at least at two RP sims now.

My initial point was that I see both sides of the coin. Yes, for those who do not know RP etiquette or conventions, who are new to SL, etc. there are many challenges involved in learning to RP (although despite what you claim, many sims DO offer classes, usually specifically geared toward actually helping newbies).

People can get cliquey in RP sims, but that's just what happens at most places, and it's hard to shake people out of it really. You find people whose style of writing and interests match yours, and as a result people tend to cluster in groups-- to some extent it's what they're meant to be doing-- to some extent it can seem and even become unwelcoming to outsiders.

There are countless ways to get involved in RP in a way that ensures you will be an active member of a roleplay community who is interact with, including:

1. Go to a RP sim that has regular traffic.

2. Go to a RP sim where people are actually on in the same time zone as you.

3. Go to a RP sim where people actually RP, not a place labelled 'RP' where people just hang out (Sorry +NO SALVATION+, you have a beautiful build, but this is you, among other sims).

4. Go to a RP sim where people are actively emoting, not just AFKing or idling all the time. If they are AFKing or Idling all the time, I can't see how you consider this to be "people ignoring you". If they are AFK'd or Idled, that means they are either chatting in IM and probably not RPing, or they are simply all AFK'd and doing something else. the notion that such people purposely are ignoring you is ridiculous unless they were all emoting til you walked in and then suddenly stopped, or unless they keep emoting but never reply to any of your posts, despite being given ample time.

5. Get involved by joining a group. Most RP sims have factions, race groups, or guilds. By joining one of these groups you become privvy to their activities, events, and are usually forced to interact with their members by way of quests (which people are usually more than willing to help on, because they were in that place once too), and initiations.

6. Join the main sim's group to receive chat and notices, which will enable you to be aware of events.

7. Attend classes and other OoC events, this gives you an opportunity to get to know some of the other people in a more casual setting which may mean they will be more eager to RP with you as they get more comfortable with you.

8. Make sure the other RPers are roughly on par with your writing style. You don't want to be the only person spamming one-liners in a group of para-RPers. That isn't fair to them, and it probably will result in them ignoring you because they simply cannot respond to your posts in time. You must find people with a compatible writing style if you're going to RP successfully with others.

9. Be proactive, find people who probably aren't AFK, and either start emoting to them or IM them first if you're unsure of whether they are idling or not.

Yes AFK/idling does happen, and it's one of my pet peeves. I find it annoying when people idle and you go over and make some big post and then they log off or TP out or just keep standing there saying nothing.

As for classes, I disagree with you. There are different kinds of RP out there, and some of the ones out there are more concerned with traffic than anything. A lot of these sims that care mostly about high traffic tend to do anything they can to get more visitors, to get members to join, and to retain those new members. Often these sims will constantly run events and classes in order to encourage the lowest common denominator to hang around as long as possible, rather than focusing on things that would realistically serve the whole RP community or the more advanced players.

I have been to numerous sims which do offer RP 101 and other basic classes, specifically intended for newbies. it is obviously in the sim owner's bst interest to sustain their traffic flow, supplemented by way of these newbies, so I don't buy your whole argument that RPs don't want newbies and don't offer any real classes to retain them when that is exactly what DOES happen.

I could write a lot more on this matter, and I might still do so, but the point is, if you really want to be involved, get involved. There is no shortage of sim that will encourage you to do so, and no shortage of people who will actually RP with you. So yes, there are plenty of sims who will engage with you.

For me, the real issue is whether or not the quality of the RP is there. You asked if there are any good ones? Good? Well I have different standards than most, but I'd say there really aren't. But my reasons for saying so are based on the high standards of quality I expect from RP. I find most RPers have an appalling lack of control over their writing. I understand people do this as a fun passtime, people do not speak English fluently, they are illiterate, they feel like being lazy, they have no creative writing skills, and the panoply of other reasons that contribute to why someone might be RPing poorly... but it is ultimately my decision whether or not I want to deal with their RP, and most of the time the answer is no.

I wish I could remember the sim where I got this, but one day when checking out roleplay sims I went to an orientation area that had the most wonderful notecard. And what it basically said was ... whether or not you're going to enjoy a visit and a stay in a particular sim is random. Totally random. You might arrive at a moment when people are roleplaying properly, when the veterans have energy and passion to embrace new people ... or you might arrive at a time when everyone's buried in IMs, some of the alts present are ones trying to sabotage the sim, or in a sim where they don't welcome newcomers. You might arrive at a time when the best roleplayers are present, or you might arrive at the time when RL has claimed the best roleplayers and the deepest person there can only respond to impassioned speeches by typing 'lol.'

The point of this notecard was that you have to be patient and accept that a lack of spark is not necessarily you (assuming you're trying) It's the circumstances, and whether the magic will strike - and surely you've been in roleplay when some magic has struck - is not necessarily something you should take personally or expect to control. Persistence will matter, but it's not a cure for when things just don't work out.

In terms of the how's, observation is great, but classes never hurt. We've archived a bunch at several locations on our website including http://www.theroadtodeadwood.com/forum/index.php?board=38.0

I have been hearing this change in attitude a lot  lately of "...but, but...you are suppose to entertain me...damn it...I came cause it is free for you to entertain me! I don't care you are suppose to help me and do it all for me.  I don't care if you are helping other people, or dealing with griefers, or moderating an issue, or shopping for an item to encourage roleplay...ME ME ME" 

When did the burden of responsibility to learn anything, become part of something, or generally have a good time,  shift from the individual player to being the responsibility of a  Sim Owner, RP Administrator/Moderator/Storyteller, etc. It is up to the individula to do things for themselves.  While they welcome both new and experienced players, they usually are not created to hold your hand and make you have fun.  Sims offer a place for an individual or individuals to go and create RP for themselves.  They were not created to micromanage and tell you how to run your personal storylines.

Suggestions have been offered to assist. you and other newcomers to RP.   Rather than feel you are ENTITLED to be taken in with open arms on any sim RP just because you are there, maybe you should look at your attitude.  Give something of yourself.  Offer to help in exchange for assistance.   Do some research on the place/theme/era etc.  Create a well made character sheet neatly ordered.  Many places on the internet that provides you with information on how to create character sheets and how to RP.  Just takes someone willing to do a bit of research.  Hang out there for more than 30 minutes one time and scream "nanny nanny boo boo they won't help me".  Just like any relationship, It takes time to develop good RP relationships even if you are an experienced RPer.  AND, believe it or not, some people are just shy, tired, had a bad day, are AFK, etc.

Become part of the solution not part of the problem.

Jeanette Mavendorf wrote:

The owners and group members of these RP sims may consider themselves friendly and welcoming, but the truth of the matter is that they only wish to interface with those of their own kind; in other words, experienced veteran roleplayers.

It should be mandatory that every RP sim should post a sign in their landing zones with the words, "ONLY EXPERIENCED ROLEPLAYERS NEED APPLY." 

I have nothing against roleplaying itself.  I encourage any medium that allows anyone to excersize their creativity and allows who share the same interest and passion to interact amongst themselves, but those who are inexperienced or have no knowledge about roleplay will not be tolerated, or just simply ignored. 

Yes, a few sims make the claim that they are newcomer friendly and even offer mentoring to those who are interested, but even that is a misrepresentation because none of these people want to deal with anyone who doesn't have a single clue as to what roleplay is all about.  For whatever reason, this is a afront to them personally and an unwanted intrusion on their precious roleplay.

Please, to anyone who is even remotely interested in getting involved in Roleplay, do yourself a favor...don't bother.  These people don't want you.  You're more than welcome to visit, explore, and maybe, if you're lucky, stand and watch a scene being played out if you're lucky enough to come across one, but over all just turn around and go back to where you came.  It will save alot of headaches for yourself and for the GMs responsible for enforcing the rules and keeping the peace.

To paraphrase an old saying, "Roleplay Sims...nice enough to visit, but no one wants you living here."

Just my opinion, take it anyway you will 

/me sniffs the air and slowly unlimbers his bow: "Anyone else smell that Troll?"

I'm not sure what sims you have been hanging out in, but apparently the wrong ones. I've played in several and am currently an admin in NoR. I started there knowing absolutely nothing about RPing. I learned by watching, reading the huge legacy of posted RPs on the forum for the sim. We have freeform RP so just about anything you want to do is accepted. We have RP clases that have been posted on our forum as well as mentoring sessions to introduce you to the sim and RP basics. Each race has a group as do move factions. The meter is set up so that you can call for help from an admin at any time. The admins are more than happy to help and believe me, new people in the sim usually get snapped up by one of the factions in the sim. We have everything from one line RPers to para RPers.  I usually para, but I will respond in RP with what I receive. We also have a level cap on our meter so we don't get levels so high that you would have no hope of catching up.

I've played in Legacies, which also offers classes and welcome new players. It all depends on they type of RP you are looking for. A lot are set up by people that haven't a clue on the proper way to set up a sim. I visited one that to join the main group you had to fill out an application that showed you had basic RP skills. As I said, you just haven't looked in all the right places.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.