Sign in to follow this  
Nya Jules

Will Irish regions come?

As we know LL has moved many sims to Amazon, Washington DC, long ago. For the Amazon cloud there's also servers availabe in Ireland. Considering the huge amount of Euros in SL, I wonder why there haven't been moved any sims to Amazon-Europe yet.

Informations may be outdated but they had a depandance in England. Was it Bristol ? ... This was closed during the big release "party" at LL.

The whole architecture of SL wouldn´t give much of a benefit having servers close cos they still have to stay sync with the rest. Maybe the ping would be a lil bit better but at all no real :matte-motes-agape: effect.

Now the techies will come with numbers and GPS coordinates for LL server farms and make me to a liar but i stay with my opintion - lol

Monti

I understand that Irish servers incorporate mirrored redundant failover systems as a matter of course.

To be sure, to be sure.

Rudi

I don't think that amazon allows people to come in and put hands on their servers, so would there really be a need of LL people based in Europe if they started to use the Amazon Euro cloud?

I believe that the simulators themselves are all still hosted on dedicated LL hardware in their U.S. centers. Profiles run on Amazon, so those might be a candidate to spread around. Map images could benefit too, those are fed directly. Most other assets still make a trip through the simulator, so there is no win right now for a remote mirror.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

I believe that the simulators themselves are all still hosted on dedicated LL hardware in their U.S. centers

You can identify the Washington sims by their IP address, and for Euros the ping on those sims is about 50ms lower than on those in TX.

Ah yes, Brighton lol, the cause of adding VAT to European customers. LL should of course have been charging VAT from the start, but didn't bother because jurisdiction didn't apply as long as they sayed in California, but as soon as they opened in Brighton, they then had seizable assets there, and so a couple of days after opening they had a friendly visit from the UK tax guys... Methinks LL's lawyers were not earning their fees.