llSetClickAction and CLICK_ACTION_ZOOM

SatguruS1488312156

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Looks like, starting with viewer 2, Linden added the "CLICK ACTION ZOOM" option to the llSetClickAction() function.

Setting this results in the Avatar's camera zooming to the object when the object is clicked by the Avatar

This is similar to the "CLICK_ACTION_SIT" setting, which results in the Avatar sitting on the object when the object is clicked by the Avatar.

Now for "Sit" Linden provides the llSitTarget() function which can be used  to set where the avatar would sit on the object.

I was wondering if there is a similar function available or planned for ZOOM (maybe a llZoomTarget()) , something which could be used to set where exactly the camera is positioned when zooming to the object.

Currently the camera just zooms to the object and the user then has to manually position the camera to examine the object properly.

A function like this could be used by the creator to show off his object in just the right manner.

This would be a big boon for shops, ads, games etc

That's a really good question.  I hadn't even noticed the CLICK_ACTION_ZOOM parameter until you mentioned it.  It looks very handy.  I'll have to play with it now.  :smileyhappy:  I would have expected it to zoom the camera focus to the spot where your cursor is, though, similar to a manual Alt + Click .  Isn't that what it's doing?  

Yes, it does zoom to where the cursor is but the creator might  want the user to view the object from a particular angle and particular distance.

Lets say you have created a billboard and you want all users to view the board from the front with the board centered on the screen.

If you set the ZOOM option on the bill board and the AVATAR clicks the object when it is behind it,  the camera will just zoom to the back of the billboard.

This would be like just setting the click action on an object to "Sit on Object". If the Sit Target is not set then the  AVATAR will sit at the center of the object instead of where the Creator might want him to sit.

llSetPrimMediaParams(1, [PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_ZOOM, TRUE]);

Limitations: Requires a viewer that supports shared media. Does not require that media is enabled. Only works if the "interesting" face is the one that is touched, but texturing can provide a good clue for that.

Make the face 100% transparent and it works like a focus plane, you will need a second prim or arrange the shape to show another face with the actual thing to view.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

llSetPrimMediaParams(1, [PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_ZOOM, TRUE]);

Limitations: Requires a viewer that supports shared media. Does
not
require that media is enabled. Only works if the "interesting" face is the one that is touched, but texturing can provide a good clue for that.

Make the face 100% transparent and it works like a focus plane, you will need a second prim or arrange the shape to show another face with the actual thing to view.

Right, but that is a different story all together than: llSetClickAction(CLICK_ACTION_ZOOM);

I wasn't able to test the LSL function: llSetClickAction(CLICK_ACTION_ZOOM); It wasn't implemented on the  server and didn't compile.

When set in the editor, I find it quite useful.

It moves(it doesn't zoom) the camera on a straight line from where it is towards the object, so you come close and get a better view

Oh ok, I see I thought you just wanted to look around, I missed the "LSL Scripting" at the top of the page duhme hahaha.

But that "llSetClickAction(7)" you suggested works well and it does give you a clue when you mouse over it since your curser becomes the magnifying glass and it zooms to any side you click on. But yeah you can not orbit which is an automatic reaction when zooming, (for me anyway) that would be good. It works well enough for say paintings on a wall though I think. But then again I find most people don't do enough clicking in SL as it is, I have to tell them all the time to click things, click things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.