Is there a way in the LL viewer to disable eye movement?

Corinne Helendale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

History: In many of the TPVs, there is a way to lock your avatar's focus point on an object. In the Firestorm viewer, for example, one does this by alt-clicking on an object, then selecting "Don't show any camera target hints even on my own screen" in the Preferences/Privacy menu.

This is really awesome for photographers like me who are often their own models - I can position my eyes anywhere I want to with a "gazer," and don't have to worry about them wandering when I click somewhere else.

I'd like to do this with LLs viewer, but it doesn't seem to be something that they permit. I've even combed through the debug settings in hopes of finding something there, to no avail.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

**responses**

@Rolig, thank you; re your first suggestion: using an alt would be a good one but for the fact that I am limited to one viewer at a time; two viewers is one too many for my system to handle effectively. Your second suggestion, use what works, is also good, and in fact, what I do in general. I am not an LL viewer user if I can help it. However, in this particular case, I'm writing a user's guide for an SL photography tool, and wanted to use pictures that include the interface. Quel domage :)

@Dora, thank you. I know that the viewer allows you to enable that. My problem is with my machine, though if that's the only way, I may try it, and super-minimalize the "alt" viewer to see if that minimizes necessary memory and bandwidth resources. Ideally, there would be a way to just switch off eyes following clicks, which works extremely well, but it doesn't seem there is such a solution available in feature-limited LL viewers.

@Lindal, thank you. My issue is not how to lock eyes on a prim, but how to disconnect that feature once locked. Non-LL viewers generally have a setting that makes it easy to do so. The benefit of this is that as a photog, I can lock my eyes on a prim, and then move that prim around, and my eyes will follow no matter what else I do or click on. Without being able to do that, my eyes will move to the last thing clicked on, which defeats the purpose of clicking on something to position my eyes.

3 answers to this question

I don't use LL's viewer, so I'm afraid I can't give you an answer to your question.  I can offer a couple of suggestions, though.  First, many photographers use an alt, either as a model or as the photographer.  If you do that, the immobile av has no eye movement.  Second, if you can get the effect you want with Firestorm, the obvious question is "Why change viewers to one that doesn't seem to do what you want?"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.