Texture mapping issue

Twiddle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay here's what I have, a friend of mine wanted a physics accurate hexagon prisim mesh with accurate physics that only had a prim equivelent of 1 (I suggested sculptie but he wanted the physics to work right).  So I made the simple mesh, and took the extra step to give each of the 8 faces a different material for textures.  Not something that was requested, but an added touch that I thought was nice.  Now all the faces work right, everything looks good, until I try and put a real texture on the face.  It's not actually mapping the entire texture, all I'm getting is random colors from the mesh, like it's mapping a single pixel from the texture over the entire face or something.

In the image below you can see what I'm looking at, I've selected the "top" face and applied a black and yellow checkerboard texture to the mesh, but no matter what I set the repeats to the face is either all black, or all yellow, even if I take the repeats up into the 100s.  If anyone wants I can send the Collada file to them to figure out what I did wrong. 

hexmesh1.PNG 

I have unwrapped the UVs, I did UVs for the different faces, I'm using blender 2.59.  All I did was create a Cylinder mesh and reduce the vertexes per loop down to 6 to get a perfect hex shape, had it cap the ends and then created materials for each face I wanted.  Here are  pictures of how I did the UVs.

Top and Bottom UVs look like this 

hexmesh2.PNG 

And Each side has a UV that looks like this

hexmesh3.PNG 

Check in the object data tab in the properties panel under UVTexture that you have only one UV set up for your mesh before exporting.  Delete any extras that might have been included.

Also, sometimes when you extrude your normals go sideways and flipping them will not correct the problem.  If you turn on your normal viewing mode and you see this is happening, go into OBJECT mode, select the mesh and press CTL A and apply rotation and scale.

The normals are all facing the right way and there is technically only a single UV texture when I look at the list of UV textures in the Object Data.  As far as I'm aware I've done everything right unless there's some extra step between unwrapping the UV and applying it that I don't know about.

I'm no blender expert by any means, but I recall something about having to apply the textures in Blender rather than just mapping them is needed for a good export. I'm sure somebody knows how this exactly works, it's all I can think of from the top of my head. Looks like there are no textures applied in your model...

hi there, 

Im not sure i can see any seams in your mesh,  especially as highlighting one face you ended up with your UV window being filled will just a large square.

Ive quickly modelled a hexigon using a plane and extruding it so it only has 20 vertices (10 faces) which is the minimum i can get away with did the seams and unwrapped it.

See picture below of Mesh and UV Unwrapping.  So i suspect its your UV unwrapping thats at fault.

hex example.jpg

Each face doesnt have its own UV Map,  if you do that you will have troubles as you have found  but if you mark your seams along one edge and then up each side,  you will be able to unwrapp as above.  If you assign a material to each of the edge faces and then a material to the top and bottom faces you will be able to texture accordingly.  As blender doesnt support NGons you will still have to break it down to two quadrangles rather than 6 triangles.

Happy Blending

Bray

Since you seem to know your Blender...maybe a routine for 8 different texture/UV maps for all planes (instead of one that has to be baked) would be helpful. That would make it a really useful object and I think it's what Twiddle is after. Not that hard to make, but I really wouldn't know how in Blender....

Okok, not baking:) "making a dedicated texture" for the object rather than preparing all sides for any given texture you have inside of SL. Both have their advantages, but the one I described (and you aswell in that last reply) makes it more "SL prim like"...and as I said I think this is what Twiddle is after.

Anyway, I think it would be helpful if you could describe how to do this in Blender in a step by step manner, or maybe point out some tutorial.

its difficult to describe without appearing to be condesending 101,

but.......

I suspect the OP has clicked a face,  and unwrapped that to a new image on each face,  therefor giving 8 UV maps, confusing the hell out of it.

I would offer the suggestion that the OP selected edge mode in blender

highlighted the hexagon bottom face edges and selected Ctrl E and mark seam

Highlight the hexagon top face edges and mark seam

Highlight each of the vertical edges (all 6) and mark seams

select all with A

press U to open the Unwrap window and Unwrap

I am sure the OP knows how to apply a material to each facebut in case they dont

select one face with face select mode

click the red marble in the properties (next to the texture button)

Select a slot and click new

Click assign

And repeat untill all faces are material mapped as required.

:) 

Bray

Hi, OP again, I managed to resolve the issue myself since the last post I made, found out importing the Collada back into blender that the UV map wasn't saving right, so I'd saved it as a .blend and then exported it again and that for some reason fixed it.  Originally it was so simple to make I'd never bothered to save it as a .blend just finished what I'd wanted and then exported straight to .dae, and apparently the UV map didn't like this much.

I didn't have to mark any seams I didn't want to, I wanted it to be as simple as I could in the end to apply a texture to just as you would a regular prim, which fortunately is what I ended up with. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.