Lindens once again letting down long term Tier payers

Simplylara Lowtide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Its very sad but for my freind very true, since Lindens did the big change her sim has been constantly attacked by the "Lag monster". It strikes out of the blue, it closes the sim, it reduces people to walking in quicksand.

Yes she made a ticket, and added voraciuosly to it each time it struck. Lindens eventualy sent someone....twice...on a lag free period. Not us they said.

More lag more sim closure, I'm sure many of you identify with this, but here is the crux, this lady has paid tiers for 4-5 years, never missed, customer loyalty? Well we know Lindens approach.....its not us, tough. The name of the sim? Miss Lucies, Helgi Island, a sim she has put her her heart and soul into. A sim she has created for not only sexual pleasure, but visual and romantic. 4-5 years.....think about it, if Lindens can treat her so badly, what chance a newcomer of 3 months? pay land tiers expect land that has normal lag problems?....not if Lindens can help it, and if they can....deny its them.

I would start by monitoring the Region performance and attempt to document some of the statistics during a lag event.

Some additional information that would be helpful is:

• how many objects are in the region
  • how many scripts
  • objects in motion
  • how many Avatars
  • streaming media/audio
  • voice users 
  • is build enabled
  • terrain detail - hills mountians or flat
  • particles - waves, falling leaves flower ect.
  • lighting nearby local
  • vehicle use

The sims used to be like...well, you would have a Class 4 or 5 sims and it was so much performance.

Now, they have all these different types and one different factor that was not there before. I think it was called 'Federated' sims...or something like that. This basically means it is not one CPU for each sim, or even one CPU core for each sim. It is basically they give you so much processing power for so long...it is like a throttle...sort of.

So, if your sim needs more it is supposed to get it. But, there are so many other factors. I don't know if this is a good way to describe it, but somehow there is a 'decision' made by the sims management system on who gets what. So, oddly...well...you are sort of right to complain and maybe there is something amis with the server. But, as mentioned...it will help if you are recording it and then talk to LL about it I bet. But, to be honest...I have never owned a sim and do not know what to do and never talk to tech support! So, really I am not sure what course of action can be taken but do know that there are sim watchers, ways of detecting scripts used (or at least memory) and I bet there are devices out there to help you watch.

I used to put a sim crash detector at my mainland store....when I had one. It used to also tell me other stuff, there are some pretty neat ones with charts on them and I do know that a racing track I frequent has a 150 script limit! They count your scripts you have attached! This is obviously to keep the sims resources clear. I also know of a race track on a homestead sim that really has very little lag. I think it has maybe...wow, 2 racing gates with many scripts in them but only a geater and teleport in addition to those two timing recording gates! It is also pretty low prim, megaprim track with only edging, grass and fences. I go up to the top track that is free from neighbouring prims rezzing and it is a blast, not to much trouble.

BUT, when a avatar teleports in...then the lag begins! It is obviously not there fault, because it happens with even light avatars and I remember on more than one occasion I teleported in and totally didn't have any script on me, zero attachments (yes, I have play dough looking hair when I do non-laggy avatar testing) and...well, couldn't be much loading because there where zero scripts and only a skin and clothing texture...yes, plain black colored feet/shoes with zero attachments! They got bad lap times the lap I loaded up! Then, after a stopping or crashing a bit...they got back to normal!

So, Teleporting in can throw stuff off a bit. They have to load your avatars basic info, the shape settings and textures and also then make all this on the screen and access the players hard drive (possibly) for cached textures etc. for anything from eyes to library transparent textures! So, lag lag lag on all ends! Genera server activity, physics activity from the server, asset server activity, the users computer and the users network are all being used....all more or less at the same time! This can slow things down I bet. But, I am not an exert! So, please investigate further if you are curious. But, basically....teleporting is only one example of activity that can affect the sim. There are others, as well as whatever network and server activity is going on at LL and the rest of the grids needs.

Hey, just a small update on the OP.

A hour or so after the first post was made, a linden made contact with Miss Lucie to offer her assistance, she moved us onto new server code, from the main server version (whatever that is, cant find it) to Second Life RC Magnum 11.11.09.244706.

It seams to have stabilised the lag some what but we are still getting some big spikes now and again. It could still be something on the sim itself, we are checking - Guess only time will tell.

And, here are some stats for the sim, Helgi Island:
Objects - 13738
Active Scripts - 9022
Build is off, except in 2 spots where it is needed
Music is on, and switched to DJ streams on dance days between 1pm and 3pm SLT
Video is on a separate area

Thanx for the replys, keep them coming =)
Gordan Ninetails
Helgi Island

Small update about the state of the sim.

We had another major lag spike and crash on Sunday night around 9.30pm GMT (1.30 SLT), there was about 25 people on the sim at the time and the owner, Miss Lucie, was removing suspect items at the same time.

As a result of the last crash, the extraordinary step of closing Helgi Island was taken and now starts the process of going through every item and check for rogue scripts.

I'll keep this updated as best as possible.

Gordan Ninetails
Helgi Island

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.