WhiteLione

RL and SL Feelings

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The answer is really quite simple. You can not separate you from you. 

That's true, but the issue is complicated by the fact that the "you" of SL is so often not who you are, but who you wish to be. And the same goes for the people with whom you're interacting.

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

That's true, but the issue is complicated by the fact that the "you" of SL is so often not who you are, but who you wish to be. And the same goes for the people with whom you're interacting.

Who you wish to be is a part of you. Who you wish to be is part of who you are. If it weren't already a part of you, you wouldn't wish to be. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Who you wish to be is a part of you. Who you wish to be is part of who you are. If it weren't already a part of you, you wouldn't wish to be. 

I know what you're saying, and sometimes it's true, but frequently (usually?) it's not, at least within an SL context. Mermaids, a highly skilled alpha male swordsman with a harem of slaves, an exquisite grand-a-night courtesan...these are fantasies that are most unlikely to have any RL actualisation.* The idea that one somehow *is* these things on some level, purely because one wants to be, is exactly the kind of contradiction and complication about the "real you" that I'm talking about.

ETA: I'm putting this badly, I'm tired, sorry. Hopefully it's understandable on some level.

*Although I really am a mermaid. Can't get seashells in my size, though.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I know what you're saying, and sometimes it's true, but frequently (usually?) it's not, at least within an SL context. Mermaids, a highly skilled alpha male swordsman with a harem of slaves, an exquisite grand-a-night courtesan...these are fantasies that are most unlikely to have any RL actualisation.* The idea that one somehow *is* these things on some level, purely because one wants to be, is exactly the kind of contradiction and complication about the "real you" that I'm talking about.

ETA: I'm putting this badly, I'm tired, sorry. Hopefully it's understandable on some level.

*Although I really am a mermaid. Can't get seashells in my size, though.

Sorry but it is always true. You're not getting what I'm saying. I didn't say anyone was those things on any level. I said they are a part of you. A part of what makes you who you are. A part of the real you. Something you can not completely divorce yourself from. It's always there because it is you.

Yes, you can immerse yourself and deeply to the point of almost removing yourself from reality. There is a point there where, if you go beyond it, you have crossed the line into an unhealthy state of mind. Most people have this little "voice" that tells them when they are getting too close to that line and are able to avoid crossing it. That "voice" is a part of you that you can never completely shut yourself away from. That "voice" is you.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Most people have this little "voice" that tells them when they are getting too close to that line...

...perks

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The answer is really quite simple. You can not separate you from you.

There are just as many articles out there saying there is a separation.  The fact that people are still talking about me kind of indicates the question isn't settled at all.

1 hour ago, Donna Underall said:

There are just as many articles out there saying there is a separation.  The fact that people are still talking about me kind of indicates the question isn't settled at all.

You do not understand what I am saying and I don't think you ever will. Other people talking about you has nothing to do with what I am trying to get people to see. 

You can not separate the self from the individual. It is not possible.

18 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

1)  You do not understand what I am saying and I don't think you ever will. 2)  Other people talking about you has nothing to do with what I am trying to get people to see. 

3)  You can not separate the self from the individual. It is not possible.

2)  Who said that was it other than you?  3)  Did you know that there are many, many people with multiple personalities in the same body?   Some separate and unaware of each other?  1)  You are not coming across as someone that is able to have a discussion.  So, okay.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Donna Underall said:

2)  Who said that was it other than you?  3)  Did you know that there are many, many people with multiple personalities in the same body?   Some separate and unaware of each other?  1)  You are not coming across as someone that is able to have a discussion.  So, okay.

I'm not talking about multiple personalities. I'm trying to explain something that doesn't have any English words to describe unless you happen to speak Lakota? No? Didn't think so.

Thanks for the insult to my intelligence.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

I don't think there's a difference between RL feelings and so-called SL feelings -- they are the same. What does seem to be different about the two worlds is that it's much easier to imagine reality in SL (though this is going on in RL too).

So best to keep an awareness that one might be imagining something about another person or one's own self that might not be true. Again, that happens in RL all the time, but in SL it's more pronounced.

8 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm not talking about multiple personalities. I'm trying to explain something that doesn't have any English words to describe unless you happen to speak Lakota? No? Didn't think so.

Thanks for the insult to my intelligence.

You can't make connections with disparate information?  And only Lakota has words to describe why everyone else is wrong?  I'm sorry, I didn't know you had special knowledge.  And by the way, no one addressed your intelligence but you, hun.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

English words to describe unless you happen to speak Lakota

It's the fault of DesCartes, separating mind and body...hence we have the mess of today.

Native consciousness (and others) do not seem to contain this separation.

Edited by Luna Bliss