Deformable mesh clothing update

Charlar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There has been a lot of discussion and interest in rigged mesh clothing recently.

Currently rigged mesh clothing scales vertically with joints, but does not automatically resize to account for the width of body parts. This is how attached prims and sculpties work -- and why most come with resizing scripts.

In the near term, Linden Lab will be focused on overall quality and stability, rather than providing enhancements for mesh clothing. We welcome Developers proposing improvements via our Open Source program.
Charlar
  • Like 1

That is unfair Dimitri. SL has seen thousands of improvements this year. Many were on issues from years back. Phillip started a clean up project 2 years ago and set the goal to substantially fix things, not just apply bandages.

Rod changed some of the direction, but has continued with clean up, stability, and features. Getting what we call mesh prims into SL has been a long project (over 3 yrs?) that was finalized and brought out this year. In all of the beta period people were using mesh for medium to large sized objects. Few were working on rigged mesh, which is what clothes are. In hindsight it is obvious that clothes would be of more interest to residents. But, because of how beta proceeded decisions to leave out some parts of mesh support to meet a release date were made. Full avatars work pretty well. Clothes are a bit lame but way better than what we had. The Lab has said, they are out of time for adding mesh features. 

We know that the Lab has to do something to improve player retention. We also know that social networking and smartphone support are major competitive issues as are entrance obstacles. The Lab's time is going into other issues and projects. Scripting features and other gamification tools are being added. Some incompatibility with Linux is being sorted out. Region crossings were greatly improved early in the year and more work is being done on them now.

The physics engine has been modernized and while that has created new problems it will allow updated tech to be added and for Havok to be updated  more easily in the future.

Unless you are attending the user group meetings you have no idea how much is going on or what has been done.

It's more of a general reference to the existing process. 

We want to make sure everyone is aware of the process. If you have ideas for enhancements around deforming mesh clothing, I'd suggest mentioning it publicly first as I believe others are exploring it as well.

:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Charlar

I do believe Linden Lab should fire up and old server pre version 6.0 and let some of the still very "wet behind the ears avatars" have a taste of Second Life circa 2005 After they enjoy that world I suspect they might be more impressed in the developement curve of this game. Of course those who state the obvious in their rl profiles I suppose never will have appreciation.

Charlar Linden wrote:

Currently rigged mesh clothing scales vertically with joints, but does not automatically resize to account for the width of body parts. This is how attached prims and sculpties work -- and why most come with resizing scripts.

excuse me, this suggests you are comparing rigged mesh clothing with ordinary prim and/or sculpties. unfortunately that also suggests that rigged mesh clothing can be scripted to adapt to the extraordinarily varied avatar shapes. as far as i know scripting rigged mesh clothing is impossible to input anything relevent towards this "interest".

Charlar Linden wrote:

In the near term, Linden Lab will be focused on overall quality and stability, rather than providing enhancements for mesh clothing.

i understand acknowledging the mesh deform project begun by Maxwell Graf would be promoting a singular non-competitive adventure. reportedly they are working with the Lab (officially? or in secret?). are you still watching Charlar?

Thanks EnCore, 

To address your comments:

I admit that I am not sure whether scripted resizing works. I'll follow up on Monday with more information about that.

I am always watching EnCore, right now I am watching TV. I may be a tree but I do have eyes, and glasses.

We are not working, officially or in secret, with anyone on this issue. Oz Linden reached out to the project you referenced in order to make sure they understood what was required to contribute, and to offer them some advice to increase their chances of success. 

Charlar

Charlar, I must comment. Resizer scripts do not work in rigged mesh clothing, which is why people who want to wear and make mesh clothing and other attachments are so desperate for a solution that they are willing to put their money where their mouths are and pay a third party to make it happen!!

Thanks Siddean for that info.

I understand the interest, and passion in improving mesh based rigged clothing. 

I hope we can find a way to get useful improvements in this area available for creators and residents while still making SL work more of the time for more of the people.

Charlar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Charlar and everyone else interested in making Mesh Work :),

From everything I've read about rigged mesh clothing, it appears we are taking such a giant leap forward that we are forgetting one very important detail. I for one have spent considerable time and money getting my avatar to look exactly how I want. Now it would appear that to wear mesh clothing I need to change my avatar to suit the clothing (not to mention every item of rigged mesh I will own in future). After 3 months I own over 100 outfits, does anyone else get the impression that mesh clothing in its current form is too damn much work and is taking time away from enjoying SL and our SL friends? Never mind the hassle of changing our avatars every time we buy a new outfit.

Mesh is definitely the way forward, but I think we all need to think about this some more, as I think we are going about it ass about. Mesh is great for attachments, but every demo outfit I've tried so far is not going to convince me I am willing to change my shape for each outfit. Maybe there is someone out there with enough smarts to figure out a "Magnetize Mesh" to surface function such as is available with DAZ3D. Wether such a function can work inside of SL I have no idea, but please everyone, take a deep breath, count to 10 and then proceed....

Oh and did I mention, that creators of rigged mesh clothing also want me to pay for the requirement to change my shape to suit each new outfit, hmmmm something just doesn't add up here lmao.

Now I have had my whinge, my compliments to Rebel Hope on thier gowns. Closest I've come to not having to change my shape, (tho still not quite there yet), but the gown moves with me and is beautiful.

NaidadNightfire, that is what the name of the thread is referring too. This thread is about a deformer that will allow all mesh clothing to fit any size shape. Kind of funny you chose this thread, lol. There is already a few viewers by which you can start testing this, and I think i heard LL has a viewer to test this on also. Check the wiki downloads page for the right viewer.

LMAO, maybe I wasn't making myself clear as to the point of my earlier post. Linden Labs inaction on resolving all Mesh issues to make it fully functional is, that the SL economy will possibly suffer somewhat. Anyone with half a brain won't buy mesh clothing that can't be modified, does'nt fit thier shape and probably won't have any compatability with future mesh upgrade options.

I know I for one am not buying mesh clothing (yet), I will only buy if I can demo the item and varify it fits my shape.

I would love to hear any other comments about rigged mesh clothing/attachments, good or bad I don't care. I just wanna hear lots more discussions and ideas being thrown around in the public forums so I can make informed decisions.

PS: I can make mesh clothes/attachments, cars, planes, trains and automobiles, but for the life of me I can't work out how to rig them to an avi, not that I want to wear a train lmao. I'll figure it out eventually, but some pointers would be very welcome as somedays my brain hurts just thinking about it lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.