Scripts, what should be removed and what is the safest way to do so?

GenysisGwynn Nicoletti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Greetings and Hello:

I continuously get script errors in my home. I remove the items I'm wearing with numerous scripts but it doesn't seem as if that's doing the trick.  Thus, what is the safest way (without damaging my items) to remove scripts? Which ones should be removed? What to do if you have an item with a script, you wish to remove, but the item is no copy?  Lastly, but this may be rhetorical at best, why make these beautiful items with scripts if they're known to be complicit in causing lag, why make items with resize scripts at all, why not make the item modifiable? I know some things require scripts but what is the happy medium between not being a contributor of lag and script errors and owning beautiful items that require scripts ?

As usual, thanks in advance for your comments/resolutions/assistance

GG

4 answers to this question

Oh how I know your pain.

Two ideas. One, contact the creator. That is the SAFEST way to remove the scripts you want removed, as they own the object. You'd be surprised I think how many creators are kind enough to do so. Probably should send a notecard to them rather than an IM for capping issues. If they can't help you, ask them how you may try and fix it? After all, YOU bought THEIR product and I believe you're intitled to at least help (some can argue with that though). 

Two, this product (YAY only 1L$ too): https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Remove-Script-from-a-prim-Clean-prim-using-Scrubber/264404

It has instructions and it's pretty user friendly. I've had to use it a few times when some creators refused to remove a script.

Cheers!

There are many good scrubber scripts around SL.  The best ones are free, so don't pay good money for one.

See >>  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/Script-Remover-for-Linksets/td-p/721141

and >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Scripting-Library/Zen-Scrubber/td-p/236177

Scrubbers will remove all traces of other scripts, and can reset prim properties that are normally set by scripts (particle effects, for example).  They cannot do anything at all if you drop them in a no-mod object, however.  After all, no mod means NO mod, including removing scripts.  Also, when they remove scripts, they eliminate them completely.  They don't just move them to your inventory.  If your object was no-copy, you'd have no backup --- no way to replace the scrubbed scripts if you wanted to.

So ..... (1) If you have copy perms on an object, make a copy and scrub it after you have done any resizing or color changes that you needed its scripts for.  (2) If you do not have opy perms, do not use a scrubber.  Instead, do any resizing and recoloring and then manually drag/drop its scripts to a backup folder in your own inventory and delete them from the object.  (3) If the object is no-mod, forget any of this.  You can't do a thing.

Finally, the way to find out if a script is safe to remove, is to remove it and find out.  If you're working with a copy and you screwed it up, there's no loss.  If you have dragged the scripts out of a no-copy object and you regret it, drag them back in.  Again, no loss. 

I'll answer the philosophical part of your question separately. 

"Lastly, but this may be rhetorical at best, why make these beautiful items with scripts if they're known to be complicit in causing lag, why make items with resize scripts at all, why not make the item modifiable? I know some things require scripts but what is the happy medium between not being a contributor of lag and script errors and owning beautiful items that require scripts ?"

It's true that scripts contribute to lag, but it's a little unfair to go overboard and avoid necessary scripts. Without scripts, after all, we'd have no AOs to control our animations, no HUDs to control vehicles or help us fly above the 300m ceiling,..... It's wise to avoid wearing unnecessary scripts, though.  Resizers are in a murky category.  Personally, I don't use them because (1) they resize things but can't reshape them to fit my body better and (2) I find it a lot easier to hop up on a pose stand and make alterations myself in a couple of minutes.  Many SL residents don't care to learn to do their own alterations, though, or don't want to spend valuable time fiddling with them.  Resizers are  "necessary" convenience for them. 

One rational solution is to sell clothing and hair with copy perms that include self-deleting resizer scripts.  That way, creators can retain some control over the types of modifications that they allow, and buyers can get rid of the scripts when they don't need them any more.  Many creators do exactly that.  My own solution, as a clothing designer, is not to offer resizing scripts at all, and to sell everything with copy/mod perms.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.