callansm

Participants needed for University Study on Interpersonal Relationships on Second Life

Hello, 

We are students at McMaster University and currently in the process of doing of a study on Second Life versus real life relationships. If you are interested in helping with this project, please reply and further information will be provided.  Here is the information for the study: 

The objective of this research project is to facilitate inquiry on how romantic relationships are formed in Second Life and how these relationships are sustained through online communication and interaction . The information obtained from this interview will be used for a Multimedia research project for McMaster University.
Confidentiality and Withdrawal:

You are participating in this study confidentially. We will not use your name or any information that would allow you to be identified. No one but the members of the research will know whether you participated unless you choose to tell them. All information and data will be kept on a computer and protected by a password. If you withdraw from the research, all information you have provided will be destroyed. Once the study is completed, an archive of the data, without identifying names or direct information will be available for an exhibition for participant and community benefit.

Your participation in this study is voluntary as it is your choice to be part of the study or not. If you decide to be part of the study, you can decide to withdraw, at any time, even after signing the consent form or part-way through the study. If you decide to withdraw, there will be no consequences to you. If you withdraw from the research, any data you have provided will be destroyed unless you indicate otherwise. You can still be in the study even if you wish not to answer all the questions. Your decision whether or not to be part of the study will not stop or affect your use of services in Second Life.

Any participation would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Raylin, Nicole, and Stephanie 

Pserendipity wrote:

What level of remuneration are you offering?

Pep (doesn't get out of bed for less than L$60,000 an hour)

Don't worry about the L$60,000. You have to get into a bed first.

(wants to live forever so he sleeps on the floor because two out of three people die in bed.)

I plan to live forever too! I'd never thought of sleeping on the floor...  starts hunting for her sleeping bag

I'm glad that the Study is "Voluntary", usually, an agency will inform a person of their rights just prior to violating them.

Are you running other Studies in SL that may "stop or effect a Residents use of Second Life"?

Why it is necessary to make these distinctions is unclear to me. If, it is a matter of poor word choices, my apologies.

You meet someone, you like they way they appear, they say nice and interesting things, you want that to continue.

I'm just troubled that this is what science is working on. I guess that the fact that the first thing a wealthy man puts on his yacht is an attractive woman, could be the motivation. The purpose of life in a nutshell, which, is the proper receptacle.

When I saw the surname Paine, I knew it was for me. Kinda like being a tiny, you either are or you are not. You just know it. 

The reason for the study is for educational purposes only. The study is run by University students in order to understand the means of computer mediated relationships.  The study will not effect residents in Second Life in any way, the results are just meant to compare relationships in the virtual world to relationships in the real world, and how they differ or are similar. 

We are still looking for participants, so if anyone is interested it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

callansm wrote:

The study is run by University students in order to
understand the
means
of computer mediated relationships.

I don't

understand this

sentence. I would also

suggest that if you want to know the

difference you should get

inworld and find out for your

selves.

Rudi

The study simply is asking participants to share their experiences with relationships on Second Life. Thank you for your input, but we are "in world" as well, the forum is another way for us to connect with residents. 

If you aren't interested in the study, please leave the forum for those who are willing to help. 

Thank you. 

callansm wrote:

The study simply is asking participants to share their experiences with relationships on Second Life. Thank you for your input, but we are "in world" as well, the forum is another way for us to connect with residents. 

If you aren't interested in the study,
please leave the forum for those who are willing to help.

Thank you. 

Sorry, I did not realise that you were a

forum moderator. You haven't, however,

explained your

incomprehensible sentence in a previous

post yet, so I am going to hang around until you

do.

Rudi

Sorry if this sentance did not explain our study properly to you. The "means" of computer based relationships states we are exploring the motivations to build and sustain relationships on Second Life. 
Our study is fully explained for those who take interest, and we will not conduct any research until a consent form is completed, which explains this study is only for educational purposes and will not be used for anything outside of our course requirements. To clarify, we are not taking a stance for or against online relationships, but simply hoping to learn about how Second Life has provided a platform for these relationships to exist. 
The participants are completely anonymous and the research is conducted for the purpose of a Multimedia course that explores avatar culture. The purpose of this forum is for anyone willing to help us with our research, not to offend anyone or force participation.
Thanks  

callansm wrote:

Sorry if this sentance did not explain our study properly to you. The "means" of computer based relationships states we are exploring the motivations to build and sustain relationships on Second Life.

I am still befuddled by your use of the word "means" which makes no sense to me at all in the context in which you used it. On the other hand, your inability to either spell "sentence" correctly or to demonstrate an inclination to use the available spellchecker to identify your error and correct it might offer some corroborative evidence of your difficulty in expressing yourself, and perhaps indicate that you might consider focusing additional effort on presenting your work accurately in future, if you wish assistance with it.

Rudi

My focus has been on my research for my university study, not on my replies towards you. If you do not like the word "means" in the context I put it, that's fine. But continuing an unnecessary commentary on a forum post you clearly have no interest in is a waste of both of our time. 

Thanks for those who have agreed to our study! It’s nice to have participation from Second Life residents who are helping us out with our final project. 

• Like 1

callansm wrote:

My focus has been on my research for my university study, not on my replies towards you. If you do not like the word "means" in the context I put it, that's fine. But continuing an unnecessary commentary on a forum post you clearly have no interest in is a waste of both of our time.

Surely you have already stated that your postings here are part of your University studies. If indeed, your claim is true that this IS an academic study, rather than a commercial or journalistic marketing investigation. In that context, I would have thought that your credibility as a researcher would be augmented by your ability to express yourself coherently and correctly. As you have presented it, your request doesn't "means" anything sensible in the context - perhaps it does to whatever translation device you are using, but not in English. Then once again you are behaving like a forum moderator, or perhaps as you think a forum moderator might behave, by instructing me on what my behaviour should be; two such instances of potentially reportable impersonation are not likely to endear you to any other discriminating forumites. You might also wish to consider the ridiculous nature of your concluding point - and I will pass over, this time, your starting a sentence (you might wish to note that spelling for future use) with a conjunction - since if I had had no interest in your forum post then it would not be rational of me to have commented on it. It is YOU that has wasted the time of any readers in expressing your personal selfish desires for unpaid assistance in a manner that was not easily comprehensible. I spend a considerable amount of my time improving the academic status of a significant number of putative research students, so this is a busman's holiday for me, so perhaps it is your own time you have wasted in not presenting your request in a professional manner. I trust that you will be including my criticisms in your write up of the process by which you have obtained any results so that your supervisor can see that you have made mistakes but learned by them. Assuming you have learned from them.

Rudi

I'm sorry that you’re unhappy with this forum post. I’m only asking for assistance from Second Life residents who are willing to participate. If that's selfish, I apologize that this study, or the academic integrity of this study has offended you. We thought the forum would help us connect with people that have already voluntarily shared their stories. I do not feel comfortable continuing this conversation on this forum, as this confrontation has become unnecessary for the success of our final project. We will continue our study in world to avoid any confrontation that for whatever reason, this has caused.

I think that you should have mentioned all the parameters in your original post. I think it was your approach that has garnered less than glowing compliments from the replies I have read. I am willing to help your research project so here goes.

While it is wonderful you see SL as a teeming pool of volunteers to be had  for  research, please be aware you are not the first group wishing to use the residents of SL for your projects.  Over the years, there have been many many many "students" asking the residents of SL to particpate in "research projects".  Not all of these "research projects" have been legitimate.  Spamming, griefing, and hacking have all occured from some "research projects." 

It would have been nice to have links provided to your University, and an email address directly to your professor and/or the Department Chairperson for verification purposes and to ask questions them questions.  Does your University own/run a sim in SL?   I had to look up McMasters University to see a) is there actually such a place; and b) where in the heck it is.   McMasters appears to be in Ontario, I am from the US.  Your University is not commonly known where I am from, so I bet it is not commonly known around the world either.

If you are conducting research regarding online relationships, what other venues are you asking to participate besides SL?  If you are only using SL, how do you purpose to generalize it to what population?  The diversity in SL, unless you have an extremely high participation rate globablly, is going to be difficult to generalize to a global internet poplulation.  Have you figured out how to deal with participants giving you false information that may skew your results? But, I suppose whatever results you might garner will be generalized appropriately and not follow in the footsteps of Diederik Stapel.

Personally, I use to participate in "research projects" because I thought them important tools for education and discovery.   It is unfortunate that "researchers" feel they have no responsibility to their human lab rats...*coughs*...I mean  research subjects... once they have used said subject to garner data.  Perhaps, publishing your data in the said venue where it was collected showing that legitimate research is being done might go a long way in folks willing to participate in future projects.

I wish you and your partners good luck.  I hope a plethora of residents will come forward to assist you.   

The question about compensation was a valid one, even if expressed in rather greedy terms for SL!  I've participated in a couple of studies for Loyola Marymount University, and received a stipend which, although not lavish, was entirely disposeable income, and let me invest in a few luxuries :)  I enjoyed the interview, and got some shopping cash, and apparently the university considered it good bargain as it was less than they normally have to pay for guinea pigs!

This is for an upcoming survey.. in the past I've received 2000L... I suppose the market value has dropped!

One of the unique components of his study is the way Gilbert will reimburse subjects. Usually a researcher would pay test subjects a small fee for their time, but for this study Gilbert will pay participants 1,000 Linden dollars, the virtual currency used in Second Life and the equivalent of four U.S. dollars, making this sort of compelling research much more affordable and accessible for our professors.

At any rate .. sign me up! My social circle seems to have shrunk lately so what better way can I waste my time than contributing to the education of cyber geeks :)

Your thinking is correct, this Forum is here to help Residents connect.

As Residents, we see a lot of survey request in Second Life. I might conduct a survey on how many surveys have been conducted.  

About 90% of the surveys conducted in SL skew the results collected in order to fufill the expectations of the researcher's fund provider.

Recently there was a survey from a school that receives 600 million dollars per year from that schools government. The survey's objective was to encourage Residents to declare that increased Government Regulation of the Internet is needed. I give you 1/2 of a Billion dollars, you work for me.

From a scientific viewpoint;  can it be called Research if you know in advance what will happen?

This forum interaction is a perfect example of how "Interpersonal Relationships on Second Life" may work. 

I apologize for being difficult, I hope you can understand that Resident oversight will provide for a secure environment for all Residents.

2 minutes ago, VeritasMcMaster said:

Anyone from the research group still on SL. If so, please contact me. Veri (VeritasMcMaster)

You're 8 years too late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's why I'm asking. We are doing research in SL. I've heard of some interesting studies from here. Who knows who's here and who will see this... you did! :)

36 minutes ago, VeritasMcMaster said:

Anyone from the research group still on SL. If so, please contact me. Veri (VeritasMcMaster)

Who'd remember from so long ago?

• Like 1

The researchers, possibly those who knew them, or others interested in research in SL who may see this.. Who knows? The place is magic; anything could happen. 

13 minutes ago, VeritasMcMaster said:

The researchers, possibly those who knew them, or others interested in research in SL who may see this.. Who knows? The place is magic; anything could happen. 

They aren't going to be around. They do their research and then they are gone. They do not stay in SL. It's a school assignment, not a social gathering. Most college age students don't have time for SL or anything else outside of college.

• Like 1