Is there a more reliable Server? Can help Homesteads with better reliability?

Wallace Wirefly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering why does Linden Labs have 3 different servers? Is one performing better than the rest? If so can ALL servers be changed over to these? I happen to have a homestead run on BlueSteel. Is this an older model? Also is it not possible for LL to reduce share time or load placed on Servers for Homesteads? I would think that with all the additional and new items that have been introduced in SL over the last 3 years does the old "sharing" premise that homesteads do still apply??  And please lets not bring cost into this because would imagine the pay back on servers is probably 3 years(setup and Tier fees), and that's not counting the tax right down allowed for the equipment each year. So with all the restarts and roll outs can anyone give me some answers? :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: Thanks all.

"Bluesteel" isn't a class of server hardware. It's a sub-group of servers within SL that certain in-development versions of the SL Server code are released to first, for real-load testing, before making those changes final for the whole grid.

Likewise, Le Tigre and Magnum are concurrently used to test two other branches of the development code that is in the "release channel", and soon to be used on all other servers.

Bluesteel, Le Tigre and Magnum make up a small part of the whole grid (about 10% each). The other 70% of the grid runs the official release version of the server code, incorporating approved changes that 'graduate' from these three sub-groups. More info on these release candidate grops can be found here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta/BlueSteel

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta/LeTigre

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta/Magnum

The actual hardware used for servers is in a rolling refresh, and most of it has been upgraded to new hardware recently. The exact mix I don't have data on, but it has nothing to do with the beta RC channels.

It is still true that more Homesteads are run on a single server core than full sims are. That is why a homestead has fewer resources.

Full sims run one sim per CPU core.

Homesteads run 4 to a core, and get 1/4 the resources of a full-use sim.

'Openspaces' or 'Void sims' - meant only for navigible water areas and other very low-prim, low occupancy uses, run even more to a core. (8 per core?)

The newer "Class 7" server hardware has 8 real cores, Xeon @ 2.4GHz, with 32GB RAM. The older Class 5 servers had half as many cores, and less RAM (16 GB).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.